News: Fire Moving to Soldier Field

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by lncolnpk, Apr 2, 2019.

1. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oof, that wind will be fun again. But that's actually quite a bit better than what was forecast earlier in the week. I think they were looking at Low 40s and preciptitation for Friday as of last weekend IIRC.

Good god, why did this one have to be on a Friday? I'm out of town the next FOUR home games after this.

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I’m sure that weather will be much better on the lakefront!

GHjelm and loonixxx repped this.
  3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Depends on if you want wind that goes straight down the field N to S, or swirls around the stadium like a toilet bowl.

4. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    The EPL sucks.

SixKick and loonixxx repped this.
  5. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friday is a dumb day for soccer. It should always be on Saturday always. ******** this nfl like shit that they keep trying to extend their reach into other days. As to whatever topic this is if they move they move. I'd rather go to an intimate soccer specific stadium they might actually sell out if the team is good than have a Gillette stadium shit show going on .But having a team called the Chicago fire in the city limits and accessible by public transportation would be nice. Is it just the trains from the south burbs that stop near soldier Field?

6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #256 CMeszt, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    I think the reason for the Friday is actually a Canadian TV (TSN MLS contract) thing. A quick look at the schedule and nearly every Friday with a game has a Canadian team.

The south suburban Metra and SSL from Indiana stop right in front of the stadium at 18th and Museum Campus stops, but the Roosevelt Red/Green/Orange stop is a 0.8 mile walk to the north gate of Soldier Field. It's not a perfect setup, but it's pretty easily doable and it's scenic past the skyline, and there are decent places to eat/drink nearby. It'd be nice to have a crossing at 14th, which MIGHT be in the works someday.

sportscrazed2 repped this.
  7. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

8. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The walk from Roosevelt is not bad. The walk back tends to be annoying when there is a big crowd (such as during Copa America or the MLS All Star game).

9. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Sure a hell of a lot easier to get to from work though. I wonder who the genius was to schedule a game Friday night in Bridgeview. It’s going to be even emptier than it has been.

10. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It's a little bit of a longer walk, but if you take the south exit and go across at 18th to either of the Cermak stops it can be a little bit less of a headache. Plus, we actually have a few new bars/restaurants now in this part of the neighborhood.

11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Though speaking of Friday night, I'm looking into tickets, and is SeatGeek the exclusive seller for the team now? I kind of hate their interface.

12. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every Friday TSN (Canadian TV) airs games, but it's bullshit that we have to host the game. No problem with the TSN deal, but I think they should be hosted by Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver?

I don't think it's going make much of difference attendance wise. There will be 2-3k in the stadium regardless in it was played on Friday or Saturday.

13. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Not necessarily if you’re a Muslim from Bridgeview!

14. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the move been confirmed?

15. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing like traveling from the far northwest suburbs to bridgeview in rush hour traffic on a Friday night.

16. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing has been signed on a dotted line yet.

17. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Heck, work near Berwyn on Friday, so I'm about 7-9 miles from the stadium depending on which route I take. If I leave around lunchtime, I can get to SGS in about 15-20 min no problem. For a weeknight game you need to plan for that to be a 45 min trip. Forget trying to go home and change after work, and I live south of the circle.

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, god, are people referring to the stadium in Bridgview as "SGS" now?

I guess that is not as bad or insulting as "seat g**k," a phrase I really cannot bring myself to repeat out loud.

Much the White Sox stadium, I will not call the Fire stadium by that stupid, ridiculous, insulting, corporate name (even if I have use their site for my season tickets).

19. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Their interface kinda sucks too. *Almost* enough to make me want to use ticketmaster. At least tickemaster and most of the other resellers let you view the individual seats on a chart when you order them. I was looking at tickets for tomorrow's game on their site last night and couldn't get it to do that.

As for the name? I'm just happy *someone* is paying the village some cash to be associated with the Fire. God knows they need it. The fact that the village kept the corporate sponsored name for two years while not receiving a penny for that sponsor was just embarrassing for everyone involved.

xtomx repped this.
  20. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    I was looking at MNUFC tickets for Memorial Day weekend, going to visit my buddy while the Sox are there, and it's the same way. Interface is awful and I can't tell if what's available is secondary or from the team.

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There's a not very prominent drop down menu where you can switch from original vs resold tickets. I found that frustrating too when I was navigating the site until I found it. The funny thing is that even for the Fire-sold tickets, SeatGeek still gives a rating of the quality of the deal. SeatGeek apparently thinks any ticket from the team not in the first ten rows is too expensive.

22. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oh, and if Tenorito's reporting is correct and the Fire have been navigating an exit from Bridgeview since last year, I REALLY want to know what SeatGeek was told or not told about it. In addition to their deal with the village, they signed a deal with the league/team, but that team has been trying to bail on the stadium to play in a venue whose other tenant has a sponsorship deal with their competitor, and presumably exclusive rights to marketing signage in the stadium.

edit: Vivid Seats is a Bears sponsor, for those who don't know what I'm talking about.)

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed. Also, we cannot simply exchange season tickets through the website. We have to contact our season ticket rep, which is idiotic.

This, a 1,000 times this.
    I totally agree, but I won't use the name, since the phrase is just too awful.

24. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a flex plan and the same problem. Sometimes we are not sure we are going to the game until the day before. Or even the day of (teenagers have issues and all that).

25. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oh god that sounds awful. When I moved to Chicago I had to sell off a full half season of my Union season tickets and all things considered it was pretty painless to do online.