Fire Gregg Berhalter (NCR)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) i shut nothing down.

2) I'm not allowed an opinion either?

3) i like Hang a lot, i just hate the endless rants and dooooooooooooooom.

4) if hardhead is willing, I'm more than happy to never enter this thread again. Since we have a separate GB and US thread now, I expect all GB hate to be contained to this thread. Seems fair, otherwise i dont understand what the point of two separate threads are.

US thread can be for players and reasoned coaching discussions, aces radio comedy hour rants can go in the GB thread.

2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I nominate jack sticker.

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew King taking a 'massive' shot at some of Crew Twitter and Big Soccer's finest LOL

stanger repped this.
  4. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Andrew King seems like a bit of a clown.

5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, but love it anyway :D The follow-up comments as well:

stanger repped this.
  6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The legendary @Placid Casual sent that to me last night. I got a good laugh at that.

Andrew King, the man so courageous that he blocked me on twitter taking a shot. I can't even see the replies. Does anyone ask if Andrew King knows who played in MLS Cup last season? Does anyone ask whether it's weird that Savarse in his short time in Portland has a higher winning percentage than Gregg Berhalter in Columbus. Did anyone make comparisons between Portland's loss last night in FCC's first ever MLS home game and Gregg Berhalter taking Columbus Crew down to Cincinnati and losing to a lower division club in the US Open Cup?

Or or they all slurping up to Andrew to hear stories and his knowledge about "being in the locker room." Andrew King may be a piece of shit and coward, but he's also a very poor writer, and not terribly bright.

7. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Savarse has no cups. I thought it was all about the Cups. He had a chance at 3 and got 0. So no Cups. Maybe a cup of tears for losing to Cincinnati but still no Cups. And Cups are everything.

8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    V, you are trying to hard, chief. And you are completely missing the point (as usual).

In one MLS season Giovani Savarase had reached the highest high that Gregg Berhalter ever reached in 5 MLS seasons.

Before MLS Savarase had 3 NASL titles and 3 regular season NASL titles. He also performed better in the US Open Cup than Gregg Berhalter, and did so with a lower division team. Before MLS Gregg Berhalter was fired from a mid-table team in Norway for a style of play that was too boring.

By the end of his 5 year tenure in Columbus Gregg Berhalter had won nothing and most fans were okay with the team transitioning away from Gregg's leadership. Some of us came to this realization earlier than others, but that's okay, we all work at our own speeds.

The larger point here is that comparing the bodies of work and looking at Savarase's first season as manager you can make an argument against him being a reasonable candidate to have had replaced Berhalter (not a very good argument, but an argument nonetheless). But to base any argument against Savarase's credentials on one game, while ignoring the remainder of his body of work, and present that as some sort of mic drop requires a very special kind of idiocy that only the likes of Andrew King and his twitter fanboys can muster.

9. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh the body is greater than the cup. You know arms and legs and heads. Good to know. I thought you were all cups.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Still trying too hard, still spectacularly missing the point.

I do admire your persistence though. You are a modern day Sisyphus.

11. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not hard to have a better winning percentage in a short time. Cmon. Think about it, Hang. You aren't stupid. I know this. It's much harder to maintain one over a long period of time. Otherwise, Brian Bliss was a better coach than Sigi because he had a 50% winning percentage. #eyeroll

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Woof. 40 games is a more significant sample size that however many Bliss coached.

How bout the rest of the questions? #singleeyebrowraised

13. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, I'm certain that Mr. King, who I've met and is a fine person, knows who played in MLS Cup last year. And I don't get the point about comparing Portland losing to FCC to Berhalter losing to FCC in the Open Cup. Have you had your meds and your necessary rocker time recently?

14. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not, I will happily sit here and yell at clouds and shake fists at the sky together with you.

hangthadj repped this.
  15. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just say it’s good to see @eboe posting again. Welcome back, and stick around.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #41 hangthadj, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    I had wisdom teeth taken out yesterday. My last Motrin was at 7:45 am. I have not had my rocker time yet today.

As to the other matters at hand, It's pretty simple really. I'll separate into paragraphs for you.

Among those who King seems to believe he owned in his tweet were people like me who put forth Savarase as a candidate for the Crew position after Berhalter's historically disappointing 2016 season.

The 2016 season was Berhalter's 3rd. He had yet to win a trophy. He followed up MLS Cup by missing the playoffs and having one of the worst league season's in club history. His team's US Open Cup performances were substandard.

The calling for Berhalter to be replaced was on a 3 year sample size. (Keep this in mind since you brought up sample size).

King tweets out snark about those who wanted Savarase as a possible replacement during the FCC game.

King, not being the brightest bulb in the room, fails to realize that he was falling into a same trap that he accused others of making of Berhalter based on the 2016 season. Except that King, in his desperate attempt at snark chooses an even smaller sample size to undercut any argument against Savarase's merits in 2016-17 or present day.

Put simply, there can be reasonable arguments as to when/if Berhalter should have been replaced. King has proven himself too stupid to make such arguments and puts forth snark tweets that in the end contradict arguments he was making earlier in regards to sample size, previous success, time earned for making an MLS Cup final etc.

This is the state of "journalism" covering MLS 20+ years into it's existence. It's still comically bad, and reliant upon individuals who are more fit to cover high school swim meets than the top level professional soccer league in the United States.

zman31 and Alneri repped this.
  17. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine thinking some hack sportswriter on Twitter has good takes.

Alneri and hangthadj repped this.
  18. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the app on my phone now, and it's nice to have an official app, tapatalk was crap. I'll try to stick around. ;)

TKyle repped this.
  19. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wrote for MLS themselves for years, covering the Crew. I've always liked his coverage and his articles on The Athletic are exactly why I subscribed to it. He's no hack. But hey, keep on with your stinking hot takes. I'm sure whoever the Dogpatch can dig up to stick on it will work out wonderfully until they move on to greener pastures, as that's all the Crew role there is good for, apparently. It's been since Shawn Mitchell since we had an awesome beat writer, unfortunately. Michael Arace is awesome but he covers everything. King does his job, and perhaps he is snarky on Twitter, but it isn't like other MLS press aren't the same way. He could always be worse, he's no Lalas. And he didn't shy away from Save The Crew which is why he wasn't writing much for MLS during the whole debacle, which I appreciate personally.

20. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are going to call someone out for making a tweet that contradicts something they said a few years prior? I hardly think that's the basis for judging a person's entire ability to report on things. His articles are very well done. He is better than whoever the Dispatch can throw randomly at the job fresh out of college, just in the job to get experience until they can go somewhere else onto a different sport they actually like. Which is why the most passionate people we have in this country tend to be former players or coaches. King seems to really care, snark aside. Carry your cross, that's fine.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Believe me, I’m judging King on more than the basis of this single tweet. I’ve read his articles on MLS, they are dreck. I’ve seen his tweets show contempt for fans. I’ve seen him unable to articulate any coherent paragraphs of independent thought. I’ve seen him cowardly block on twitter, or call out (but not by name) anyone who dares disagree with his self-proclaimed expertise.

I’m not telling you not to spend your money. God knows The Athletic actually has dozens and dozens of more capable writers and reporters. I am telling you my experience has led me to the conclusion that he is a dim-witted hack. Fortunately for him, the economy is good for that very skill set.

22. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 chr1st, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Major League Soccer Soccer dot com and The Athletic are starving for local team reporting. That ain't no high bar to clear. You think he's a good writer because he hasn't moved on to another gig? Time on a beat (stagnation?) is not a substitute for actual, you know, skill.

But hey, you met him before out in the world and he was pleasant with you so you'll keep paying that subscription to get his shallow articles. You do you, man.

hangthadj repped this.
  23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a free trial of the athletic. If you are only interested in soccer, no way in hell is it worth the price. Not even close.

CrewSchmack and hangthadj repped this.
  24. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Seeing as how the MLS web site continues to pay for stories by an Austin-based writer who appears to revel in taking shots at and talking shit about Crew fans - you know, the league's customers - not just during the relocation saga but recently, anyone associated with that web site can go to Hell as far as I'm concerned.

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Do people who are so wasteful with their money that they wish to pay $5 a month to read Andrew King at The Athletic try to get a refund when King is shit canned? Or is the unsubscribing process quick and painless?