Fire Caleb Porter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I'm old. I get lost at times. Soon you'll see my name on one of those freeway signs.

Ch(Elsey) and LaMacchia repped this.
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’d prefer a billboard, “DGA57v2 IS REAL”

3. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Not at all. It happens everywhere but it's more glaring when teams leave points on the table when their DP striker misses from inside the 6 yard box two games in a row.

If you think 3 points is statistically significant, be my guest. That's one win on average over the course of 20+ games for each team.

What I'm seeing is a team like the Revs with a better starting point, probably a better roster and a bad coach (Friedel), was still at 1.2 ppg. They're up 0.66 ppg with Bou in the lineup. Our team, without an off-season to make necessary adjustments to the roster, is up 0.79 ppg, a bigger increase than theirs. Numbers can say what you want them to say.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

the_rickler and kgilbert78 repped this.
  5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking that very loudly this morning....

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost tagged you in that post due to your fondness for quotes.

7. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Whether a number is statistically significant or not isn't determined by how large the number is, at least on its own.

8. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Correct. An NFL team winning their division by 3 or 4 games is much more significant than an MLB team doing so. And three points average over 20-22 games means the difference is around 0.14-0.15 ppg.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. I realized that you have really good insight there. Somehow we just don't always see ourselves as others do.

Wonder if that makes me like the Captain that Picard encounters who only spoke in quotes....:);)

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  10. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kinda like Moonlighting in here

[​IMG]

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m just saying, the international break would be a perfect time to fire this guy.

Get someone else in here. Give him two weeks with the guys. Give him the opportunity to implement something resembling a professional soccer team with an identity and carry the momentum into 2020.

12. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would have been the perfect week to play one of those games we already played in March.

TRUJDUB and hangthadj repped this.
  13. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    So, after showing you that we're improving much more than the Revs, you want to fire a guy who has lost one of the last nine matches?

14. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Somehow this thread title managed to misspell “Ryan Giggs.”

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Loew may be losing his job in Germany pretty soon.... They are losing to the Dutch 4-2 at home in injury time in the Euro Qualis....:eek::eek:

16. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random question: If GBS loses his job in LA somehow, do some of the people who want to give Porter more of a chance change their tune in order to land GBS?

17. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I would love to have GBS back in C-Bus, I still think Porter deserves more time, and as another person mentioned he has only lost 1 match in the last 9. .....That would be an interesting situation for Haslam/Edwards. I don't think they will give up on Porter until after next season, that is if things don't go well in 2020.

Tobias C and TRUJDUB repped this.
  18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m a big picture thinker, Dennis. The dropped points throughout, the lack of any sort of distinctive style, the way the team is completely unprepared to start a game some weeks and finish games other weeks, the maddening in game management, these all tell the same story.

The man wasn’t right for the job when we signed him and that a 9 match streak in which we’ve lost once has brought us to (checks standings...) 11th in the East does little to move the needle for me. Porter’s ceiling in Columbus is a middling mid-table manager. But, at least he has personality right? We deserve better.

eboe repped this.
  19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can not stress this enough: I do not ever want Guillermo Barros Schelotto as head coach of Columbus Crew SC.

20. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew this bullshit before I even asked the question. lol.

21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we'll never agree, but we actually agree more than you think. And I still love you.

eboe repped this.
  22. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I love you too, my brother in Yellow/Gold.

23. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    No, you're not a big picture guy. You're a guy who didn't like Porter even before he was hired. It's called a guy with a vendetta. You're the guy calling him a cowward. You're Chava Iglesias in Club de Cuervos.

I prefer to let things play out this year, see the winter transfer completed and whatever the start of the next season brings us. I'f he gets his players, whichever number he wants and gets, and the team is stumbling around entering the summer months, then we can start talking about possible replacements.

Tobias C and TRUJDUB repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Oh no doubt. You are definitely right. I didn't like Caleb Porter before he started here. It's possible that I even called him a coward once or twice, but I honestly think you are confusing that with Berhalter and some of his decisions in the playoffs. If anything, I think Caleb Porter's larger sin than cowardice is hubris, and I've been rather consistent on that point.

Sure, and you have every right to believe that. But maybe that's where the difference is between you and I, and others on this board. I think you can learn a lot about coaches, men, women, children, dogs, and (********) cats, when most everything is going their way, and when they have most everything they want. I just happen to believe you can learn a lot more about them when they DON'T have everything they want. When everything ISN'T going their way.

There is a tunnel vision and a need to believe on this board. We have exalted the new owners to the point of saviors to such an extent that having the first coach hired being the incorrect decision would be a huge dent in the narrative that has been built. That tunnel vision narrative has ignored Porter's failures with US Soccer youth teams, the manner of his exit in Portland, and the fans general apathy around a manager who had brought them their first and only championship leaving.

So when you claim that I didn't like him before hand, you are correct. You can choose to claim that it's not big picture thinking that allows me to see his numerous shortcomings over many jobs and many years, you may have a different definition of that than me. But it certainly isn't the tunnel vision that so many on these boards choose. It's okay to take off the blinders, and look beyond only Columbus.

Jim Bach, LaMacchia and TRUJDUB repped this.
  25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    123-18-17 (.832).