Fire Caleb Porter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hangthadj, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter wanted a long-term commitment.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Right, I gave him credit for this. Some people miss that I gave him credit because it's easier to paint all my opinions as negative or contrary.

I don't really *hate* him because I have no desire to really know the guy, and I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity. I do think he's an asshole, which is a rather commonly held opinion. But that's not the reason I'm upset that he's our coach. I just think we had several better options available to us at the head coaching position.

I've laid out in multiple posts my issues with his resume that I won't bother rehashing for the 30th time here. I find the five year contract to be absurd and unwarranted. I would have much rather given the opportunity to someone like Tab Ramos.

The hiring of Porter will always seem to me to be part of an Ohio rebrand rather than a pure soccer decision. The owners have every right to do that. Sports is a business, and god knows this fan-base has been shit on enough, and for some that connection to Ohio is extremely important. For me, it's near the bottom of my list (that said, I never lived in Ohio unless countless weekends on Zak's couch between 2000 - 2007 qualify for residence, I just love the team).

That said, I hope you are right. I hope the owners live up to what they told him they would spend. If they do Porter will, without question, receive the greatest support ever given a Crew coach by ownership and be buoyed by a new stadium and newly invigorated fanbase. There will be no excuse not to win a trophy.

There is tons of conflicting reports and spin out there. At the end of the day, LA is not displeased with the coach they hired, nor should they be. They most likely got the better coach and they only needed to lock themselves in for 3 years as opposed to 5.

3. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen anybody dig their heels in this hard on their opinion since colin cowherd hating on baker mayfield.

soccerncbus, stanger and Flyer Fan repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    May I introduce you to P&CE?

TKyle and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  5. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is simple. There are/were other coaches available that have better resumes than Porter, are sexier, or exhibit a combination of both.

Could we have lured these guys to Columbus and MLS? I dunno. Atlanta got Tata.

But we took the safe, conservative route. Oh well.

In Bez I Trust

puttputtfc repped this.
  6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I refuse to link to Andrew King's tweet, but Porter said he is going hard for the US Open Cup.

Robbiegoal, soccerncbus and Draghignazzo repped this.
  7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giggity.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I nearly edited my post after re-reading it, but I left it for you, bud.

chr1st repped this.
  9. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COACHBOT9000 may yet earn my love.

10. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now Hang thinks Porter is amazing.

11. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolded for emphasis. We have zero idea who we can or can't get. No amount of money, talent or community is gonna change a coaches mind if they think columbus ohio is cow country.

Thanks to GC96, we know approx 2 things:

We asked GBS, he said no.

Caleb Porter said yes.

We dont know who else we talked to. People are making this assumption that Caleb Porter is somehow this mid tier guy when we should get a top tier guy.

Maybe we cant get top tier coaches, either foreign or domestic. Sucks to think about, but maybe columbus just cant.

BRB guys activision is transferring publishing rights of the destiny franchise to bungie and im freaking out......

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *clears throat for Hang impersonation*

NO! That's just a loser mentality!! Antonio Conte or bust! Pep or bust! Mourinho or bust! Until the team goes undefeated, wins every trophy, and Porter quits being a meanie head, this is a DISASTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, come on. Money talks, my man. Or do you think players are moving from Europe to China because they're really excited about growing the game?

We just gave a guy a million dollars a year for five years. That's bottom-of-the-barrel Premier League money. You don't think we could entice someone to come here with that?

Hell, I just read that Columbus is one of the Top 52 Places to Go in 2019. London, Atlanta, Paris, and Barcelona didn't even make the list!

Look, Porter is a completely reasonable hire. But I hoped for more than that.

BTW... Destiny is DOA and Bungie is garbage.

Alneri and hangthadj repped this.
  14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is your frenemy relationship on or off?

15. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea if we can or can't entice a coach to come here for a mil per year.

But look at it from an outsider perspective. If you say, were a bottom barrel prem league/serie a/la liga manager, the last thing you probably heard was the team was going to move to austin, if you have heard anything at all. same thing goes for your agent.

sure the money would be comparable, but in a league that has less respect, and much different roster rules than you are used to. it would be a step down in most, if not all of their minds.

16. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to Porter interview on ETR. When asked about how he might change the team, he said:

1) its a solid team, so wont go crazy making loads of changes, but

2) production from the wings was way too low. Meram and Santos are decent, but he likes his wingers to have more pace and power. Something to look at.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talking about his identity as a coach:

1) likes to play aggressive, pressing, high-paced. Sounds like a german style to me.

2) can be pragmatic when he needs to though, like in 2015.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's pretty simple. There were better options available.

chr1st and puttputtfc repped this.
  19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You and Caleb are doing the right thing.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is a loser mentality.

We went 5 years for a coach that LA reportedly didn't want to go more than 3 for. Ownership has shown they are willing to pay WELL above market value for a coach. With near 5 million over 5 years they could have got a better coach than Caleb Porter. Period. Money talks.

Instead, new ownership decided to go in on branding/reboot as equal importance to the soccer. As I said before, that's their right. But it doesn't make it not depressing. And it certainly isn't above criticism.

Tobias C and chr1st repped this.
  21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is far from your best work. But, I understand it's near your bed time so I'll give you a pass and hope you come back stronger tomorrow. One love.

22. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    K.

K.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I see @chr1st has already made all my points. Thanks to that overtly negative contrarian jerk for his good work.

24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    KHT.

[​IMG]

chr1st and hangthadj repped this.
  25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are letting him off too easy. Fair warning in this thread. @chr1st ’s Christmas photoshop of Porter will be the KHT (eyesore) reward if I catch you being so lazy.

chr1st repped this.