News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First point first, I think every player we have, including Adams, is going to look bad in Gregg's system. It's a flawed system for our team. That's the biggest reason the Bradley/Weston isn't working

If we're stuck with Gregg and Adams is injured it is what it is. You play Bradley with Weston and hope for a little luck. A national team coach can't just magic Yueill or Canouse into a better player anymore than he could Trapp. What he can do is put the best players in the best system that hides their weaknesses and accentuates their strengths. We don't have that right now.

Personally I do think the midfield would look a little better if Lletget was starting as well instead of Roldan. I think overall you gain more with his offense than you lose with Roldan's defense but at the end of the day both should be back ups.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Humanity should be spending more on education and health care, instead of spending twice as much as in those two things combined in weapons, but that's not how the world works.

Right now we have a lot of mediocre choices, and the best we can do is go "we should try X" just in case X is any better.

Usually, he isn't.

Roldan is a limited player, but he's far from our first limited-yet-somehow necessary guy around. Ale Bedoya was one, or example.

Roldan under Egg:

Panama = Win, played 90'
    Costa Rica = Win, played 90'
    Ecuador = Win, played 23', winning goal with him on the field
    Chile = Tie, played 83', 1-1 when he left
    Jamaica = Loss, played 65', losing goal with him on the field
    Venezuela = Loss, played 90'

---Gold Cup---
    Guyana = Win, played 28', 4th goal with him on field
    Trinidad = Win, no Roldan
    Panama = Win, played 90'
    Curaçao = Win, no Roldan
    Jamaica = Win, played 21', 3rd goal (after 2-1) with him on field
    Mexico = Loss, played 30', losing goal with him on the field
    ---/Gold Cup---
    Mexico = Loss, no Roldan
    Uruguay = Tie, played 90'
    ---Nations League---
    Cuba = Win, played 90'
    Canada = Loss, played 72', first goal with him on the field

So in 4 games his presence on the field didn't seem to help to avoid a defeat. That's out of 13 games where he's played under GB.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen you write variations of this and, respectfully, it is a bit misguided. The immediate problem may be that Adams is injured, but the larger problem is that Gregg had already decided to misuse Adams prior to the injury. And yes, I have seen your retort to others that Adams was only played once at right back under Gregg. I have also seen you mention that Adams has played right back elsewhere. Neither of those responses is reasonable to me because (addressing the last point first) at the point that Gregg played Adams at right back, he had been firmly entrenched for nearly a year and a half at club (both NY and Leipzig) as a central midfielder type. The fact that he had played a touch of right back 2 years earlier was of no consequence. And secondly, while only having played 1 game at right back under Gregg's "leadership", the fact is that Gregg had made it clear for the Gold Cup that Adams was AGAIN going to be playing right back. The only thing that prevented it WAS the injury itself. This is coming straight from the horse's (Gregg's) mouth. I haven't even touched on the fact that Adams was sent back to his club after his first run-out as right back, before the 2nd game of the international window - a game in which he surely would have also been playing right back if he had stayed with the team. Berhalter clearly has no clue what he is doing. There is no other way to slice it. That we can also criticize the team is fair too. But this isn't a "stop calling up x player" thread … it is the fire Berhalter thread. And without his family being entrenched in power in the upper echelon of the federation, he most likely WOULD be fired and certainly DESERVES to be fired. He is simply horrible.

Namdynamo and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  4. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Klink would do a far better job.

Hoooooooooooogan!

/justagedmyself

5. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gregg also intended to start Trapp ahead of Bradley and start Ream at left back and he started Zardes above Sergant. These were all bad decisions that he changed. I realize 100 percent that I'm speculating here but it does seem reasonable to me that Gregg wouldn't have eventually realized he needed Adams at defensive mid had that option been available. Maybe that would have happened during the Gold Cup or maybe not until after the first Mexico game but I believe it would have happened.

I don't disagree with anything else you are saying here. Gregg is a bad manager that needs to go.

6. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    and my point is doing the same for tab doesn't fix the problem it makes it worse

7. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know nothing!

Tifoso repped this.
  8. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hahahahaha!

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember that many Man United fans wanted Fergie out until a late Mark Robins equaliser in a FA Cup match at Nottingham Forest.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC

Hmm. Are you comparing Ferguson/ManU to Berhalter/USMNT?

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a joke, right?

Alex Ferguson's dandruff is a superior coach to Berhalter. The vast majority of struggling, bad-looking coaches turn out to be... bad coaches.

juveeer and Namdynamo repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what people thought in 1989/90 when United finished 13th.

I'm not comparing them, I'm just noting that Ferguson turned things around.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Are you implying that Berhalter is capable of leading the USMNT to success and that we should give him time?

LodiSoccerFan repped this.
  14. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are several issues at play here. Berhalter is one. Player pool talent is the other. Those who have commented on how a good coach can get synergistic results from an average player pool really have hit the nail on the head.

That's the type of coach our current player pool cries out for. I've commented in various threads that Berhalter would not have been my pick but that I was willing to support his efforts before reaching any final judgment. Fairness requires that we acknowledge that Berhalter was handed a our player pool that simply lacks the depth of top tier talent it needs to play at the level USMNT fans (like those on these boards) want. Watching the USMNT vs. Canada game on UniMas (in Spanish), it was interesting to hear one commentator state that the U.S. needed a Dempsey, a Donovan etc. They saw it.

Putting it all together, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Berhalter is simply not the right fit. Whether US Soccer steps up and fixes this now is another issue altogether.

juveeer and Suyuntuy repped this.
  15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha - interesting comparison... however, I was just thinking the other day about how that win against Spain in the Confederations Cup is now over a decade ago and how little progress the national team has made and how much hope we had for some of those players then... Altidore, Adu, Gooch, Davies, Bradley Jr., etc. and where they are now.. anyhoo, I do remember after the Italy and Brazil defeats (yes I know Brazil is not Canada but he was still very unpopular at the point) everyone wanted Bob Bradley out - nepotism even being thrown around given his tendency to start his son. Then the Egypt game happened and the rest is history. Well maybe I'm clutching at straws a bit but who knows, maybe, Greg gets his moment in the return leg and goes onto win the National League? With that said, I still do think we need someone else to take us to the next level....

16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Sometimes things are but they seem to be. Right now we suck, and we have regressed under GB. Suuuuuucccccckkkk. Badly. The damage being done will have ripple effects for a long time.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The damage done is the stupid "youth revolution" when people have accepted as a good idea that sending young kids on a free to some academy in a big club is a superb idea, that they are going to improve by osmosis by being in the same hotels with super-stars.

That's going to set us back for the next 20 years, until people eventually realize the entire thing is a scheme, and we lose a couple more generations to the idiocy of thinking those who have zero investment in those youngsters will be happy to develop them "because an American star will be HUGE for the club!"

Of course this opinion will remain unpopular for another 10 years, at least.

18. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Can’t both be part of the problem? I agree “pay to play” is a disastrous model.

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    let’s send everyone back to their local club to be taught by dads.

btlove repped this.
  20. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    B will never be Sir Alex Ferguson. Any suggestion he is is so:ROFLMAO:. Sir Alex lead Aberdeen to break the dominance of Glasgow club in the Scotland and also took them to European glory by defeated Real B at the Final of UEFA Cup winners Cup. And B ? Zero, nada.

Namdynamo repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i´ve been willing to reserve judgment on jay-gregg....

but i´m not impressed. period. and don´t have any hope for his tenure.

he´s had some unfortunate injuries etc to deal with i.e. the player pool....which i do think would make a difference to the results he has had.

BUT
    my biggest gripe with him is his player selection...and that has nothing to do with anything but him and his eye.it sux.

he is FRICKING BLIND when it comes to picking plyers and sticking with underperformers/"buddies"7etc

that people then use that as evidence against the player pool is absurd.

his "system" is also idiotic....why telegram your approach to oppnonents?

the usmnt isn´t good enough that they can be completely predictable7tactically rigid and still play well7get results.

its never going to happen with gggs (chosen) methods.

TOAzer and DHC1 repped this.
  22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welp, bradleys free...

TOAzer repped this.
  23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? He stepped down from LAFC?

24. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah, i just meant meant maybe we wouldnt have to wait 15 months like we did for berhalter if we made the decision now.

...if he would make that decision, i should say.