News: Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bigredmachine, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    FFS, name one player who play well while near Bradley? His inclusion creates a cascading series of compensations that put our (best) players in positions that highlights their developmental areas and suppresses their strengths.

again, who does Bradley elevate? The list of players who play well beneath their ceiling is fairly long and certainly includes

- Weston
    - Pulisic
    - Roldan
    - Boyd
    - brooks
    - Ream

from the current playing pool.

sXeWesley, Namdynamo and TOAzer repped this.
  2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please help us to understand. What do you know?

TOAzer and Mahtzo1 repped this.
  3. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm in for firing Berhalter. No explanation needed.

4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    It's time for him to go. The fact that the simple things aren't done properly is the biggest indictment. If it were only a few that have less of a pedigree (Roldan for example) the excuses that they just aren't good enough might have some validity but when many players with proven quality struggle with the simplest of tasks something is wrong and the blame has to go to the top. It isn't about player choice. Whatever people believe about who should have been playing or not playing, the team that was out there should have been able to beat Canada. They didn't. That is on the coach.

DHC1 repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They took over a tear to hire him.

That alone makes it more difficult to get rid of him, since the "there's not enough time" excuse comes into play.

TOAzer repped this.
  6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too have tears over that year..... ;)

AutoPenalti repped this.
  7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only is it time for Berhalter to go, the entire board and Cordeiro should go as well. The incompetence of all the people I just mentioned is so obvious, even many of their supporters are beginning to question them.

juveeer, Namdynamo and MarioKempes repped this.
  8. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Sargent scores, Miazga scores, Pulisic gets a hockey assist and adds energy, Yedlin saves a goal, Steffens gets a shutout.

Yeah, it’s a talent problem. Not.

Attached Files:

juveeer, majspike, Namdynamo and 3 others repped this.
  9. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    there are a lot of things that will make it difficult to get rid of him. The fact that his brother is immediately above him is one major factor. I believe it is the most interesting in that it creates interesting dynamics. If they actually do care about showing the hiring was not influenced by nepotism (not saying they do), it could make it somewhat easier to get rid of him. If G Berhalter cares about the neg pressure on his bro, it could press him to resign (probably would have happened by now...so there goes that) or, they could be telling themselves that they really don't have to answer to anyone and will continue as they have.

10. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I just had my say via the USSoccer comment form. Even if it is buried, at least I will feel better for having gotten it off my chest.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Great day for Yanks Abroad today, but the fact that we're happy with two goals, a secondary assist, a clean sheet (after a single save) and Yedders having a good outing clearly shows we're not at the level we wish we were.

12. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *US Soccer has sent the comment to /dev/null *

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_device

TOAzer repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, right now Jay is in limbo, since he's not been named CEO but remains the obvious choice and may well be behind the curtain. Since they kept us for over a year with an interim manager, why wouldn't they do the same with the CEO?

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    https://www.the42.ie/des-mcaleenan-4844507-Oct2019/

After various gigs in the Connecticut area, with university and local club teams, McAleenan’s big break came in 2001 when he was hired as goalkeeping coach for Major League Soccer’s New York/New Jersey Metrostars franchise. He ended up staying for nine years, outlasting five different managers and two interim appointments. [...]

One consistent for McAleenan in recent years has been his involvement with US Soccer’s underage setup, particularly the Under-20 squad. It gave him some much-needed international experience and he’s forever grateful to Tab Ramos, a former Metrostars player, for bringing him in. [...]

"I owe enormous gratitude to Tab Ramos. And he should’ve got the senior job. He had four successive World Cup qualifications, we went to the quarter-finals of two of them. It was a fit-up. The guy who runs US Soccer (Jay Berhalter), who is really in charge and who pulls the strings, his brother (Gregg) became the coach. They never conducted a search. They just said they did.”

juveeer repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If we want Gregg gone, this is when. After the next games they're going to tell us it's "too late" and we're not Mexico, here a manager sticks for long.

So folks, really, start writing, not just to the USSF but also to the media. If nothing changes now, it's not going to change.

Master O repped this.
  16. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who has Yueill made better? Or Morales? Or Canouse? The answer is the same as with Bradley. They're all limited players who should be back ups or camp cupcake type call ups. Bradley is the tallest of the midgets.

17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corrected for truth.

18. LordofBrewtown

Wigan Athletic
    United States
    Nov 19, 2018
    I disagree with this. Bradley is not even the tallest of the midgets anymore.

I think too many people - even those who are not proponents or fans of his - still are remembering him from circa 2010-12. Everyone keeps saying things/insinuating that the fact we 'have to play him' reflects poorly on the lost generation/our depth - which implies that he is still our best option. I don' buy that premise. I don't think he's our best option. He's a hug defensive liability who doesn't provide the offensive upside required to start him. Even if others are not 'international quality' - I think I'd rather see just about anyone else play than him right now.

juveeer, Namdynamo and TOAzer repped this.
  19. 70runner

70runner Member

Jun 21, 2007
    The USMNT, with MB90 slowly wandering about, has been dominated in midfield for a couple years now by most teams. Even AYSO coaches know what happens when you lose the midfield. That Berhalter once again marched out MB90 expecting a different result is an indictment of Berhalter. That there apparently isn't an alternative to MB90 in midfield is an indictment of the entire program.

20. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While I do agree with this I want to say again that IT IS NOT THE PLAYERS we are putting on the field. The players we have been playing are plenty good enough to pretty easily beat every CONCACAF team except, maybe, Mexico and they should be quite competitive with Mexico. It is rather how they are told to play and how they are motivated. The coach/manager is responsible for those aspects and that is where he is proving to be a total failure.

The constant harping on the players chosen or not chosen actually makes it easier to keep Berhalter by moving focus away from the real problem and implying that the problems could be fixed by simply selecting different players.

The fact is that Berhalter will only be fired if the powers that be become convinced that he is not capable of winning even with the best players available. Of course it is entirely possible that Berhalter will never be fired in any case as he appears to be pretty well protected by the US soccer executive morons.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    how would you know whom they’ve made better because we’ve never seen them as a group.

do you think that the Weston - Bradley partnership is working after multiple games vs decent opponents? If not, which one of the two do you take out or just keep trying the same failed experiment again and again?

btlove repped this.
  22. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

Some of this isn't really great though. Is qualifying for the u20 a great accomplishment?....no it really isnt. Also all of those tournaments ended with his teams being dominated. Also dont confuse the quarters of the u20 with the quarters of the full wc.

The last thing us tab is part of that old boys network he just got out bro's by the berhalters who were a step ahead of him.

23. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'd only be excited about Tab in relation to the mess we have now. Personally, I think any number of international coaches could step in and do as well or better. And no, I don't have specific names because I don't have a rolodex with every available coach in it. But, I am 100% sure there are out of work coaches available with better records than Gregg's failure in second division Sweden and mid-table MLS run or Tab's record of only coaching kids before.

24. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse Marsch for head coach

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The important part for me, though is the last:

"The guy who runs US Soccer, who is really in charge and who pulls the strings, his brother became the coach. They never conducted a search. They just said they did."

It's the way things are done in big companies. We promote from inside, but run a fake 'search' so that no government agency can come and accuse us of being unfair.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.