Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They finished a point ahead of the Crew in the standings last year, scored 8 more goals than the Crew, and Paunovic guided the team to the playoffs for the first time in like 5 or 6 years.

Would have been an odd time to fire the guy.

2. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had the personnel where the Fire should have been challenging for the very top of the league. The Fire spent $13.09 mil on player salary last year twice what the Crew spent for 1 more point. And then got bombed in the playoffs by the Red Bulls with a 7.29 mil salary. Their salaries put them in the Toronto, NYCFC, Sounders area.

And it still does not change the fact that Paunovic never sets his team for maximum ineffective boring soccer. His best players are positioned all over the field game after game. Schweiny is a CAM, then a CM, then a CB. 3-4-3. 4-4-2. 4-2-3-1, 5-4-1 every game is different. He so all over the place but the still gives you that lovely air of dull. Life is too short for dull soccer.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  3. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not counting CCL, which I haven't added to my chart, Gigi has now tied Bobby for most games managed.

upload_2018-8-24_9-44-5.png

Perhaps I should add international competitions to the list; I think that'll add 16 matches to Bobby's ledger, four to Greg #1, and two for Fitz.

4. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's try him on the number 10 bus out of town.

Tobias C, zman31, chr1st and 1 other person repped this.
  5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The amount spent on salaries does not necessarily correspond the amount of talent on display. (This was literally shouted at me for years when I asked why Precourt isn't spending more). If money to talent was a 1-1 equation we'd be seeing a lot more production out of Pedro Santos. Chicago paid big money to Schweinsteiger and Nicolic in an order to have some/any relevance in the city of Chicago as much as they did it to improve their team.

The reason you see Bastian moving all over the field is because they have zero competent options in defense. He plays center back because he's a professional. The bummer there for Paunovic is that now his most dynamic and creative player is set up 50 yards from goal. Thing is they have no better options. They've given up the second most goals in the league even with Bastian somewhat solidifying ythe defense.

As for the dull soccer, Chicago games have average 3.3 goals per game this season. Crew games have averaged 2.5 goals per game. Chicago has scored 4 more goals than Columbus to this point in the season.

But if you fancy possession for possession's sake, I guess Berhalter's system is the opposite of dull soccer.

6. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So who are our best coaches in what order?

RW inheriting a good team makes him look better but I will talk GB over RW anyday.

The Fitzgerald guy is before my time but coached in a era without draws correct ?

7. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated to include international competitions:

upload_2018-8-24_10-34-18.png

As always, I'm a drunk so the numbers could be ********ed.

Please feel free to check my work.

8. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS didn't include draws until the 2000 season, so most of his tenure was draw-less.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Philadelphia Union, THE PHILADELPHIA UNION, sit only 4 points behind us with a game in hand.

Extend Gregg.....

10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question.

Why are you a fan of the Crew? How long did you live in Columbus before you left?

I'm trying to understand what you get out of being a fan of a team you despise, advocate for them to move (on a different thread) and hate the players.

Are you just a masochist? Troll? Asshole?

I don't think I have ever seen you post anything remotely positive about this team unless it was dripping with sarcasm.

I just don't get it.

KCbus repped this.
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You are gonna give yourself a complex, James.

I don’t want the Crew to move. I’ve been a fan for 20 years. A season ticket holder for 7 of those years. I’ve travelled from Los Angeles to Chicago to New York and places in between to watch the team play. I’ve rooted for them to win every game I’ve ever seen them play.

I don’t know what else to tell you. That you are unable to differentiate sarcasm for positivity says more about you than me. I love you man, but I seriously worry about you sometimes.

12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you just enjoy being a dick?

Whatever.

KCbus repped this.
  13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Bless up?

14. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    "Hang" the realiest. No rose colored glasses,no air freshener,no perfume! He tells it like he sees it. We are all fans and support our team but sometimes we have different views of what's happening on and off the field. Sometimes you got to say what the hell are they doing out there?

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Key word being “sometimes”.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOMETIMES.

There’s a difference between being a realist and taking the gloomiest, most depressing, worst-case scenario opinion every single time you post.

stanger repped this.
  17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Win by 2.

18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, @stanger was really offbase about the sarcasm thing.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I chose win by 1 for the grouchy points at Chicago and got burned. What did you pick?

20. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Lose by 2. The only acceptable prediction. All other votes are always wrong irrespective of results.

hangthadj repped this.
  21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t make picks.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Coward.

chr1st repped this.
  24. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True it is not 1 to 1 but the ambition to be a top team is shown by their willingness to pay big money for names. It is this ambition that does not gel with it being okay to get shelled in the first game of the playoffs.

When Paunovic players Bastian out of position because he does not have a good defender (which I disagree with because Dean could play the other CB). it is a sign of a good coach but when the Crew are without their two regular CAM's and they play two 8's, it is bad. Personally I think I would have opted for a 4-4-2 with Mullins but I understand because the only why Chicago wins is to win the center of the midfield.

I am not surprised Chicago has more goals than the Crew. They have at least 4 good attackers who can score. I think if Nikolic was on a good team he would be in the golden boot running.

While the Crew desperately needed an attacking threat from the wing. Maybe Meram will get back there but without that the Crew are not going very far this season. My guess the inability to get that deal done was more based on our Owner than our coach.

25. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of it like this hang is the Alexi Lalas of Crew fans.

hangthadj repped this.