Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    2016 Coaches Tenure.png
    This is a chart from 2016, so their may have been some change since then...but fairly incremental.

Coaches have lifespans. Some of this is due to the message not resonating, some of it is personal, but most often it's performance related. 3-4 years is the average across many professional sports leagues.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a fair point--but I'd like to see it for teams that have a winning record. I'll be it skews a little differently. Lets face it, not everyone is the Browns.

I'm partly influenced by the way the Dodgers used to do it. They were a very stable organization under the O'Malley's having only two managers during almost all of that time. They didn't fire them after bad seasons and had quite a bit of success.

3. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no, no. Achieving a winning record shouldn't be the goal. Winning the league or championships or tournaments should be the measure of success. Otherwise, you end up with 15 agonizing years of Marvin Lewis.

Aaron d and hangthadj repped this.
  4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The flip side to that is the revolving door that is the Browns.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  5. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1955 chr1st, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Ahem.

upload_2018-6-25_15-10-59.png

EDIT:
    That record is current as of the LAFC match and includes regular season, playoffs, THE CUP, and CCL (ahahah!).

6. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Is Matches won/Matches played the normal way of calculating Win % ? Something tells me it's not.

ETA - looks like I was wrong.

7. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should force Berhalter to take a six-week mid season vacation every year.

hangthadj repped this.
  8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really frustrating - 3G isn't the worst and the system can work brilliantly at the same time it can be maddening to watch how ineffective it is.

He's a genius and an idiot apparently.

ZipSix repped this.
  9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You know, different players are making the same mistakes that the older players made.

The replacements for these other players are not making as many positive plays as the exiled players.

Maybe it's not the players? Maybe it's the system. Maybe it's the talent acquisition.

No.....I'm sure we will find a way to blame DONG GARBER or whatever his nickname is. Or maybe we'll find pity for Josh Williams for being so poor instead of wondering why Gregg Berhalter continues to play such a shitty soccer player. Maybe we'll say Mensah has improved from total ********in catastrophe to someone who luckily avoided being sent off tonight.

This team is extremely poorly constructed. That is on Berhlater. What's worse is he is too ********in stupid and to ********in stubborn to change the style of play and we shoot ourselves in the foot constantly.

It's an embarrassment on multiple levels, and defenseless on most of those levels.

Jim Bach, Bill Archer and chr1st repped this.
  10. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get this ********ing bum out of here.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey! Has anyone seen @Kyle Crew. I'd like Kyle our new mod, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy summer slumber over there in Hocking Hills with all the other Super Mods and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is!

And I want him to sticky this thread!!! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Robbiegoal and TKyle repped this.
  12. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four-flushing???

Also, that’s a lot of adjectives for one mere sack.

13. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily true. He no doubt has to operate within a budget, which would be based on what our not-so-deep-pocketed owner can afford. He is the one who would be paying for higher-priced DP's.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    For ********s sake man.

There is no secondary goal scorer on this team. The central defense is a catastrophe. The Sporting Director identified Pedro Santos, Josh Williams, and Jonathan Mensah as players that could help this team. The Sporting Director let Manneh walk away so that we have no goals from our wings. The Sporting Director chooses to continue with an aging Higuain whose main contribution is to score penalty kicks and points angrily at his teammates.

It's okay to believe that Precourt is a horrible owner and that Gregg has done a shitty job constructing this team.This isn't an either/or. It's there for everyone to see.

15. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree re: no secondary goal scorer, and Manneh getting away.
    As for CD, Mensah is overall much better this year, and Lalas had been playing well until the last what, 2-3 games? I want to see more of Sauro. Josh, well, not so much.
    Pedro is a major bust.

Tobias C repped this.
  16. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you believe he could sign a $5,000,000 DP to solve these problems but has just decided not to?

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also disagree about GB "letting manneh leave". Manneh wasnt gonna resign with vancouver, and he was never gonna resign with us. He though he was 2 bundesliga level. He wasnt. He thought he was liga mx level. He wasnt. Now he's in switzerland. This is the path he chose. He could've come back here from mexico and been a starter, since we still own his rights. He didnt though.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Should I saw this slower for you Crewster. You can think our owner is a piece of shit. I certainly do. I definitely mocked all Crew fans when they hailed his signings of Mensah, Santos, and extension of Higuain as great investment in the club. He's a shit owner that is agreed.

That doesn't mean that Gregg Berhalter as Sporting Director is completely absolved.

I know you pulled the 5 million dollar DP out of your ass, because you can't possibly be so stupid as to this that teams ahead of us in ppg right now like Houston, Red Bulls, RSL, New England...all teams who have had their own fans complain about ownership are splashing out on 5 million dollar DP's. Please if they have signed so many, list them. I'll wait. I'm sure you have a long list, so take your time typing.

Precourt is an asshole. That's clear. This team's roster is a shared failure between him and Gregg Berhalter. If you are too sentimental to see that, I envy your naivete.

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santos is close to a 5 million player sadly.

$2.3 million transfer fee.

$700,000 yearly salary, for 3 or 4 years.

So that's either $4.4 or $5.1 million.

:O

TRUJDUB repped this.
  20. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Closing in on maximum ineptitude! Who's organizing the party?

upload_2018-7-16_14-6-47.png

Robbiegoal repped this.
  21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a very interesting table. Wow.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    For those who want Ggg fired would you trust AP/MLS to find a quality replacement?

23. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, no. I'd bet that even if a qualified or big name manager offered to take the gig for free, they'd be turned down.

We'd probably end up with... I dunno... Greeley.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  24. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You are a terrible person who thinks horrible terrible thoughts and your brain is terrible.

chr1st repped this.
  25. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is just the top level. It gets darker the deeper you go.

CybrSlydr and Draghignazzo repped this.