Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Considering the FO admitted talking about deals before the incident seems they wanted them get something for a player because they didn't want to make him a DP but he forced the issue.

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by 'forced the issue'?

3. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure the FO is talking about deals all the time with other teams. I am sure some team is calling to make an offer for almost every player on the roster that is half way decent. Or the Crew are making offers for the players they would like.
    Because you never know when someone will say yes or counter. I am sure that is how the Tchani / Manneh trade started.

4. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He was going to sit out if he didn't get paid and they would look bad because he performed so well. But we didn't want to pay him and the fact the Revs gave up so much it was a no brainer fit for the cheap ass philosophy we have. The Mensah signing was out of desperation in my opinion

5. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still not following the logic. Let's use some numbers.
    Kei has a great year and wants to get paid. He wants $1 mil a year or he sits. (By the way is this is a real question because I can't remember one, Has an MLS player ever sat out for more pay?)
    At that point the Crew can either pay $1 mil a year or let him go. If they did not pay him they would have spent $0 (or if you want to say they got another striker or kept Jack Mac, they would pay that salary which would probably be closer to $250 for the year).
    The Crew paid him, even with a new backup forward in Ola. (Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers comes to mind)
    So the Crew paid for around, 8 out of 34 games or around $235k. Plus in the trade they handed over $300k of TAM. So around half a million.
    So if the Crew knew they were going to get rid of Kei, why not just save around $300 to $400k and let him go and sign another striker?

6. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kei was actively sitting out that preseason, and threatening to sit out League games if he didn't get a better contract. I'm pretty sure Jack Mac had already been released at that point (and he didn't really fit the system)

Ola had already been brought in at half a million a year. I personally don't think this team brings in a back up for over max salary. In fact, when he was signed, he was signed for more than Kei was making.

I personally think they were hoping they had a buy low (free allocation) sell high situation with Kei, so they brought in Ola as a replacement so they could start shopping Kei. But that's just a theory and we certainly don't know that to be the case.

Now, they certainly didn't get much from the Kei deal, so it didn't work out that way. Still think that was likely the intent.

TRUJDUB and hangthadj repped this.
  7. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is my understanding that you can't pay a DP with TAM or GAM but this makes a bit of sense
    IF
    The Crew thought they could buy Kei for $1 mil and then sell him for more. In other words his stock was going to go HIGHER! That is highly unlikely but lets try. . .
    I give the chance of a European team, who a $1 mil salary is not much, bidding enough to get Kei (which would have had to come in the Summer) at about 10%. He was 31, retired from the (October 2015 so would not get a visa sponsorship from some European FA's) and many times talked about how he wanted to stay in the USA to raise his new daughter.
    Which leaves only a few MLS teams who would have picked up his contract and offered more, TFC (I know not the US but close), Seattle, LA, NYC and maybe Orlando.
    TFC had 3 DP's that they would not drop of Kei.
    Seattle had an open DP spot. Possible option.
    LA had 3 DP's. Maybe they would have dropped Keane but not Stevie G or Dos Santos.
    NYCFC had 3 DP's and the best forward in the league. Not going to happen.
    Orlando had 3 DP's. Probably would have dropped Rivas or MPG for Kei but they have Larin. . .
    With Sigi there maybe a 5% chance Seattle would make a $1m plus offer.

There was always China . . .?

Finally if you know you are going to get rid of Kei, he was at an absolute high point at the end of 2015. Except for winning league MVP, what else was left? Sell him to any other MLS team for $300k to $500k plus GAM and TAM plus draft picks and start Ola. But I think the Crew thought they could recreate the lucky magic of 2015.

8. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There HAS to be some other topic somewhere in all of BS Crewville where people can go on and on and on about Kei.

Let's keep this one on topic.

Fire Berhalter

CybrSlydr, foozer, catfish9 and 4 others repped this.
  9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, sweet baby jesus, can there just be a "bitch about kei' thread somewhere? Please? It's been a fvcking year now, get over it people.

catfish9 repped this.
  10. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's never really been about that guy but rather about the dumb things out FO/SD etc.... make and the principle of the matter

11. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    tumblr_ns9rmhX7LS1uxle3jo1_500.gif

12. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, that's less time than we've bitched about parking, concessions, Nordecke swearing, attendance, small market inferiority complex and of course, whether filet mignon counts as steak.

TRUJDUB and Placid Casual repped this.
  13. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Cincinnati would have fired Berhalter by now.

14. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much does a friendly matter?

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    To Precourt? Not much at all.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh and put a roof over the stadium already!

17. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FYP; have to modernize.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Good morning Crew fans!!! Have you looked at the standings this morning. Now level on games played Red Bulls have lept over Columbus Crew SC in the standings. Our beloved Crew now sit below the red line in the standings!

Let's be frank here. Red Bulls are a much better team than us and if they are getting it together they aren't our main competition for a playoff spot. We are likely battling with Orlando, Montreal, and Philly for that last spot. And lo and behold Montreal and Philly both have games in hand. In fact, Montreal has two HOME games in hand.

On the bright side, so far this transfer window our Sporting Director has sent $50,000 to DC United for an extra international spot! That's right! We now have the flexibility to continue to start Jonathan Mensah while possibly bringing another international player to sit the bench! Will Crew fans finally get their wish to see Christian Martinez in the 18!?!? Time will tell.

Columbus Crew Playoff Fever! Catch it!!!

Kyle Crew repped this.
  19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning our coffee will require a little bit of something extra.

20. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    On the bright side at least we are not D.C. united who has more matches played than points. That is pathetic.

Break down for us

10 home games and 19 points:
    We have 6 wins , 1 draw and 3 losses

You should not lose at home so we are -3 there
    And we should average about 2.5 pts per home gm.

10 away games and 9 points:

We are -1 on the road in my opinion the minimum expectation on the road games should be to average 1 point. We have 3 wins which is good but 7 Losses is unacceptable.

So if we had 32 points we would be where I expect us with limited talent. So we have clearly underperformed after the fast start.

21. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be ecstatic if we averaged 2.5 ppg at home, and it would be a great goal, but there are only 2 clubs in MLS this season who are averaging that. Should our goal be to be one of the top 2 teams in MLS? Sure. But it isn't a huge failure to not average that. If that's the case, then the league is full of failures.

We need to earn points. Doesn't matter if they come at home or away- I'd argue that the more important measure is how we perform vs Eastern Conference Club, as it doesn't really matter if we're the 7th best team in MLS if we're the 7th best team in the Eastern Conference.

22. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree about the eastern Confrence thing but you must have goals and expectations maybe even a PowerPoint and some Powerade

So how many points do you think we should have ?and what s your view on that since you don't think standards should be different for home and away????

23. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No ohhh no...he is to busy going backwards in Pittsburgh. It would make way to much sense to use Martinez as a weapon/spark around the 70 minute mark. In the case of 3G make that a 87th minute sub.

24. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize because this is going to look like I'm just reacting to the latest result, but I really meant to post this earlier today. For give my negligence, but here it goes:

We've won two in a row and posted consecutive clean sheets but I still want to Fire Gigi.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have one comment--one of the big complaints was that GGG wasn't willing to change formations. He's done that recently--and more than once.