Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lawyers....

(but I mean that in a good way in this case).

2. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we did was a far better option than paying him to do nothing for months like Spurs did with Adebayor

Something tells me the time for cooler heads to prevail actually *was* April, not June.

3. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being the Humanitarian of the Year has nothing to do with him as a player or a teammate. I will concede that if he was good enough to give a DP contract, it is surprising that it declined so quickly.
    However, it is well in the realm of possibility that it did decline and decline fast. We have seen it in other teams (soccer and otherwise) that a big contract makes a player get too big for their britches. There was the tweet from Mitchell last week about Stuver and Kei fighting. Maybe the PK was the tip of the iceberg. We don't know.

The one thing we do know is that he threw Pipa under the bus and would not apologize. And for that I find him lacking as a teammate. It is not about the hat trick, it was about the attitude toward his teammate.

As for Berhalter, I don't see a problem with leadership. As a leader you sometime have to get rid of problems or make decisions that might seem negative to some. And for that I applaud him for doing it. The negative outcome can only be judged in the future. Maybe the team splinters and we end at the bottom. Maybe we bring in Falcao, in the cup, and draft a CB next year that is the next Chad Marshall. Maybe Ola is great. It is probably somewhere in the middle. But who knows.

And finally the Crew got 1/2 a million in allocation money and draft picks and an int'l spot. That is like 1/6 of the budget for a MLS team. That is huge. Even if Kei was still a happy camper and was playing well, I might trade him for that. That sounds like they are making way for a good int'l DP. But again Maybe, maybe not.

Kyle Crew and Tobias C repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's not just that he wanted the hat trick. It's that he pouted on the field for the rest of the match, selfishly cocked up an odd man rush that could have secured the three points, mouthed off to the media afterwards, blasted Higuaín, and whined when the guy you're complaining lacks leadership skills suspended him.

And by the way -- if anyone thinks Berhalter is on his way out anytime soon now, you're stoned. If Berhalter gets fired, you basically traded Kamara for nothing. If all you were going to do was bring in another coach to try to let him figure it out, you might as well have just fired him first. Agree or disagree, Precourt's taken a side, and it's not Kamara's.

CrewV Man, foozer, stanger and 2 others repped this.
  5. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's have this debate at the end of June. At that point we will at least have something to base the conversation upon. Right now it is all conjecture.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  6. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #106 Draghignazzo, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    FYP

Even though there are those that think we just pissed away this entire season on this trade and Berhalter is and has always been a blind squirrel; I believe only tomorrow can shine its wisdom on today and I am willing to wait to see the overall effect on the team over the next several games, as well as how quickly and effectively they get it together and replace Crymara before I re-sharpen my pitchforks and put the oil on the burner.

porchlight and Dan Milton repped this.
  7. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    - Im dyslexic ..here is how I read this
    Crymara has always been a blind squirrel, even though there are those that quickly and effectievly pissed away this entire season. I am willing to wait to see Berhalter re-sharpen my pitchforks. I believe only tomorrow can shine its wisdom and put the oil on the team over the next several games. Effectively as well as quickly they get it together to see the overall effect.

No matter how you word this its a very positive outcome

puttputtfc and Draghignazzo repped this.
  8. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    2 wins in his last 12 matches. It's okay though. We had a fluke run to MLS cup and traded our best asset for nothing!

9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 for 17 GB's first year, still finished third.

It's May.

10. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that it shows the lack of leadership that 3G didn't notice the problem and nip it in the bud before it got worse. Kei made it sound like it had been festering in his mind for a while. Seems like a good coach would have picked up on it.

Other teams kept signing Eddie Johnson, and we all know how much worse GAM was. Because teams value winning for some strange reason...

Eboe

C-bus, Robbo Crewfan and hangthadj repped this.
  11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Good point. We had a losing record in the playoffs last year, just like the year before. We had a stretch of one win in 17 under GB. Now one of 2 wins in 12.

Maybe he's just not that good.

12. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #112 Draghignazzo, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    On what evidence are you basing this "fact" that Gigi didn't know. WE didn't know because prior to Crymara's public outburst it was not public. That does not mean it was a surprise to anyone within The Crew. We don't know the full story and likely never will, unless Kei really opens up and continues to be an unprofessional dickbag in his interview today, but even that will be naturally a one sided view.

If Kei does nothing but bad mouth The Crew today, If I were Jay Heaps I'd suspend him a few games for the unprofessional public statements. But I'm not Heaps, so that would never happen. I'm really interested to see if Kei can shed some more light but remain professional, but I suspect not.

EDIT: OK, If I were Heaps <shudder> I'd probably fine, not suspend. But I'd send a message that talking shit about your peers publicly, even on another team, is not tolerated.

Psycho_Derek repped this.
  13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    You are forgetting that people on here have insider knowledge as they are at every training session. Eyeroll

14. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    "In the playoffs" as opposed to being out. "You lose 100% of the cups when you don't play in the playoffs" - Wayne Gretzky ;)

15. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we traded for Feilhaber and he talked sh*t about Vermes/KC, would you honestly expect Gregg to fine him? Kei can talk all the crap he wants. He's dead to me.

16. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would. Unless he was physically abused or some egregious nonsense, it stays in the locker room. I don't care who it's about.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow me to split the difference a little.

First, Kyle's right. We did have a lousy, LOUSY stretch in year one and finished third. But we were in a much different place then. We were rebuilding, putting in a new system, and trying to iron out kinks. We were SUPPOSED to be bad at that point. But he stuck with the plan and made it work.

We were in MLS Cup last year. I know this is MLS, and the difference between good teams and bad teams is closer to millimeters than kilometers, but we should be better than 2-4-4. I don't think hang's giving Berhalter enough credit for what he's done, but he's not wrong to be concerned. We're just not living up to what we thought this season would be (so far), and we're waiting to see what he does. It's a valid concern.

We'll see.

I would say that classifying us as having a "losing record" in plast year's playoffs is a little bit of Enron accounting, though. Two of those "losses" were in two-legged series, both of which we won, the second of which we lost 1-0 while defending a two goal lead and didn't really "need" a win.

18. TheBearDoesNotQuit

TheBearDoesNotQuit New Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What is Jimenez getting in salary? For this coach seems to favor him and keep him, and yet he's of no value. They haven't even used him in several games. Whatever he's being paid, it's a waste of money.

Micheluzzo repped this.
  19. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a versatile, experienced, middle-aged (in terms of professional athletes), a good locker room guy, and relatively cheap at 90k last season. So...... you're objectively wrong.

20. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so, but why on earth was he starting ahead of Meram, Cedric and the chorus line of other wingers that GGG brought in here (early this season)? Maybe he's a decent fill-in at a d-mid or fullback slot, but he's way below MLS starting quality for a wing. And it wasn't like all the other options were nursing injuries or something.

21. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut your face, it was obviously speculation.

Eboe

Psycho_Derek repped this.
  22. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we aren't supposed to speculate, what's the purpose of the message board?

23. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FWIW, he played well against Vera Cruz.

24. Robbiegoal

Robbiegoal Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KHT Tit pics, Grouchy points, and sheep league.

eboe and Nostradumass repped this.
  25. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    #125 Psycho_Derek, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Speculation is one thing, and so is asking what the speculation is based on. So far it is an ESPN interview, handbags over a penalty and a tweet from Hesmer

Draghignazzo repped this.