Fire Berhalter

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by mateo319, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To go a bit further in this. Yes, it's a positive we created opportunities that led to penalty kicks. It's even more positive that we scored these and it resulted in a win.

One of the ongoing critiques of the team as I mentioned above (and several MLS commentators have also mentioned) has been it's inability to finish. Yes, penalty kicks count as goals.

However, it would also be foolish to allow the penalty kick goals to gloss over the larger issue that has haunted us for over a year now, the inability to finish. We won't have Ted Unkel and his glorious knee bend and point reffing every game.

2. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This almost feels like a kid that is unwilling to to admit there is no Santa.

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly think there is evidence of this. Especially the one you bring up, 7 transfers in 11 years. He really averages less than 1 1/2 seasons at any place, which is about what the Crew had him for. His only stint longer than 2 years was KC, which did have him for 4.

4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you actually know this to be true? Pipa has taken by far the largest share of PKs since he arrived. All evidence points to him being the designated PK taker.

You know this how? My point was that you were making assumptions and asserting them as fact while insulting anyone who doesn't agree with you. I wasn't even arguing that you were wrong.

This is not a fact.

I will agree with you that I don't think Pipa is a great PK taker (Mendoza and GBS were). But Kei hasn't been any better over his career.

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. But maybe it's just me.

5. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT!?!
    Santa still fills my stocking every year.

Who do you think does that? Parents couldn't do all that in one night.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So taking out 4 yrs at KC...It's been 6 transfers in 7 yrs. Yah it was Higuain's fault and GGG made a bad decision to rid the team of Kei. It's all starting to sink in and make so much sense now. Good thing we have guys like Hang and TruDub around here to set us all straight.

Why O' why did I just contribute to the continuance of the nonsensical discussion? Why can't I just let it die a slow painful death? Why do I and other keep breathing one more breath of air into it? Another of life's mysteries I suppose.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Either
    1) You copied this from somewhere.
    2) Someone used the wrong login.

Psycho_Derek repped this.
  8. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I agree. A striker that scores more goals from the run of play is definitely more desirable than one that scores the majority from the penalty spot. :)

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Genuine question here, cause I don't know the answer. Is there any place where Kei is public enemy #1 of as large a section of the fanbase he left behind as he was (still is?) in Columbus.

We're talking about a guy who had the second highest goal scoring total in a single season in team history. He's the team record holder for the most game winning goals in a season. He was an MVP candidate. He provided our only moment of fleeting joy and hope in MLS Cup 2015. He was an MLS Humanatarian of the Year Award winner in Columbus.

Leading up to MLS Cup 2015 there was outrage that Kei wasn't MVP. The most shared article Crew related social media was an SI article about his escape from Sierra Leone. Everything was about what a great guy Kei was and how it was great to have him back in Columbus scoring goals.

5 months, 1 contract dispute, and one pk skiffle later Kei is a pariah, a locker room cancer, and we're thrilled to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Yes he's been transferred a lot. It also means he has enough talent that other team have wanted him too. He accomplished more here than many (all?) of his stops, yet is probably most hated here.

The only possible comparison I can think of in American sports where a fanbase turned on a player like that was Terrell Owens in Philadelphia. And really most Eagles fans are insufferable drunks who in their rarest moment of lucidity would tell you they wished he was still around.

It's a fascinating case study of tribalism and mob mentality.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  10. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #1110 hardhead, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    For the record, I don't hate Kei. I'm glad to have been through the 2015 season and was thrilled with him as a squad member, MVP, and striker. I'm also OK with us having traded him after the trade contract dispute, lack of production (not just on him!), and public teammate dispute.

I hope you're not lumping me in to the "fanbase" that sees him as "public enemy #1." It is possible to appreciate his time here, but also accept that it was time for him to go.

I don't read ANYONE in this debate calling him "public enemy #1" or really even demonizing him. On the other hand, we are having a circular debate about whether the trade should have happened, whether we should still have Pipa on the squad, and if Berhalter made the right choice. This (tiring) debate is so well-treaded now that I'm not sure we have any new ground to cover. But, you saying that anyone here has made him out to be "public enemy #1" is completely hyperbolic and disingenuous.

11. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woah, totally uncalled for! How dare you lump us drunks in with those asshole Philadelphia Eagles fans? Repent!

Seriously, I think you answered your question (though I disagree with the sentiment that "Kei is public enemy #1): the contract dispute, PK incident, and public defiance of Gigi left a bad taste in the mouths of many fans.

That being said, I believe it's possible to separate the sporting figure from the public person. Clearly, he is very fan friendly and open to interacting with the public, and his humanitarian work speaks for itself. However, I get that people could see him as acting selfishly or like a prick on the field.

I'd equate Kei to Hines Ward. In my opinion, he was one of the dirtiest, most miserable players on the field, but I don't get the impression that he's a bad hombre once the pads come off.

hardhead repped this.
  12. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't truly get sense anyone here hates Kei. I think most people will tell you he is a great guy off the field. Certainly always entertaining. You also can't deny the season he had here and his ability to score in the past. I haven't read many posts contrary to that.

hardhead and chr1st repped this.
  13. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. Now you're spittin' out fightin' words. DON'T EVER speak harshly of #86. Dirty? Miserable? I honestly have never heard anyone other than a Browns, Bengals or Ravens fan make such a blasphemous suggestion (I'm inferring you fall into one of those buckets - no?). You take those words back right now Mister!

14. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.si.com/nfl/2009/11/04/dirty

*smiley face emoji*

*cough* BENGALS *cough*

TRUJDUB and catfish9 repped this.
  15. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People don't hate Kei. They hate the annoying fan boys on bigsoccer that praise him. Just like tRR fan boys when he was in Columbus.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm not completely sure that's the case. Last season, I think the games the fans wanted to win most were against New England to stick it to Kei. Those games had more juice than any game vs Toronto, DC, or Portland. (Though to be fair, almost no game last season had any juice). The man was booed every time he touched the ball. He faced more jeers than Eric Gehrig jogging down the street. Public enemy #1, maybe slightly hypbolic, very slightly. But he was definitely went from hero to hated in a flash.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Believe me, I hate Eagles fans more than you.

Robbiegoal and chr1st repped this.
  18. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably true. My hate is spread widely but thinly these days.

19. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite their poor take on pizza, Chicago's a great place, lived there for 5 years. At least you'll be in a city without a rival team now!

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  20. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget with KC, in the middle of that he went on loan to Norwich, he didn't want to make the move permanent, so he came back.

21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kinda the point I was making - some think so highly of Kei that they'd say such ludicrous things and be serious about it.

CrewV Man repped this.
  22. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giordano's is the only way pizza should be made. Period.

You shut your mouth with that blasphemy!

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no evidence of jealousy in any other actions Pipa's taken through the years he's been with the team.

24. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Copied it

25. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Watch those 2015 games again , Pipa didn't like Kei watch all our goals and the players . He is not friendly and outgoing and I just don't like Pipa and his attitude and actions.