"Fioranelli doesn’t expect many transactions in or out of San Jose for the remainder of the window"

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 16, 2019.

?

Is the current roster acceptable?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2019.
  1. Yes, playoffs here we come!

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. No but I am used to disappointment so it's okay

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. No and that is not good enough

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this deserves its own thread... many were expecting 3-4 more signings, maybe even a South American DP... so many years of failure, culminating in one of the worst seasons in MLS history, and there is still no sense of urgency...

Stejskal: San Jose GM Jesse Fioranelli out to make up for forgettable 2018

After his team endured one of the worst seasons in MLS history in 2018, San Jose Earthquakes GM Jesse Fioranelli knew he had to get it right with his next head coach hire.

There isn’t much that needs to be written about how brutal the Quakes were last year. Their 4-21-9 record and the midseason firing of first-year manager Mikael Stahre say more than enough about how bad things got in 2018. Not that Fioranelli can compartmentalize his club’s struggles that easily. For the Swiss GM, who arrived in San Jose ahead of the 2017 season without any prior experience in North American soccer, 2018 was more than just a miserable season. It was a direct indictment, a black mark that fueled the perception held by some of his peers around MLS that Fioranelli is in over his head.

He knew his credibility took a major hit in 2018. He realized that San Jose weren’t looked at as a serious club at the end of last season. He understood he likely won’t get another chance to make this right.

He knew he had to take a big swing. By hiring Matias Almeyda, he did just that.​

As Fioranelli hinted, Almeyda is changing where and how San Jose recruit players. After looking primarily to Europe for their biggest signings during Fioranelli’s first two seasons on the job, the Quakes have shifted their focus to South American players this winter. They acquired holding midfielder Judson on loan from Brazilian club Tombense, landed 19-year-old Peruvian national team left back Marcos Lopez on a full transfer from Sporting Cristal and swung a season-long loan deal with Spanish club Villarreal for Argentine winger Cristian Espinoza, who Almeyda knew from his time in the Argentine Primera.

All three acquisitions were made using Targeted Allocation Money, and Fioranelli feels all three address major positions of need.

San Jose’s roster probably needs some additional work for them to realistically compete for a playoff place in 2019, but don’t expect much more player movement this winter. The Quakes already have 28 players signed, including a pair of Designated Players in Vako and Chris Wondolowski. Things could change in the summer, but Fioranelli doesn’t expect many transactions in or out of San Jose for the remainder of the winter window.

Almeyda will work with their current pieces, see what he has, and re-evaluate later in 2019. Fioranelli swung big on him. Even if things don’t click for San Jose right away, he feels like he has a hit with his new head coach.

2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    hard to imagine they see much of a bump in season ticket sales based on the hiring of a new head coach who is unproven in MLS.

Beerking repped this.
  4. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    It kinda makes for an interesting soccer experiment- take the worst team in the league and only replace the coach and see what the results are.

I know we added 3 new TAM players so it contaminates the results, but will still be interesting.

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    One of the new players is reputedly a quality left back, so, yeah, some pretty heavy contamination of variables right there.

Not to mention Magnus Eriksson is rumored on the way out the door.

Not to mention we're getting an Argentine goalkeeper (okay, maybe German-Argentine, depending on the rumor-du jour ) to replace Andrew Tarbell.

Not to mention we have a pencil-neck rookie defender whose height and weight makes him eligible for national team duty. And the entire SuperDraft Quakes class got an A+.

Not to mention the new coach is not likely to allow meddling in his lineups.

Did I mention there's no way in hell Magnus is going to single-handedly lose us a game to Atlanta this year?

I'm stoked for playoffs.

DotMPP, gunnerfan7, 2in10 and 3 others repped this.
  6. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Shea eats LB’s for breakfast. You really think Lopez is gonna earn his spot? /s

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So we have to rely on the June-July transfer window once again. Since 2010, has anyone really emerged during that window? I'm just trying to think but I can remember anyone who made a difference. Maybe Geovanni who scored 1 goal in 12 games?

8. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Vako was the best in more recent years.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I forgot Vako came midseason.. For what they are paying him, he hasn't impressed me.

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Name someone on the current squad who HAS been impressive? Beyond perhaps Wondo and Lima, the pickings are pretty damn slim.

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Just when you think the ownership may have learned something....

Well, since they are going to wait till mid-season, I can wait until then to renew season tickets!

Quakes05 and Beerking repped this.
  13. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why sign someone just to say you've signed someone? Is it not better to evaluate what you have, determine who are "keepers" and where you REALLY need to shore up the roster at? Also just because they may not sign a DP before the season starts does not mean that they are not actively looking, inquiring about potential signings.

2in10, SeaJayBee and don gagliardi repped this.
  14. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Ahh..so they're fixin' to get around to improving the roster. What my Austin Texas colleagues say when they actually haven't done anything yet.

Beerking, bobby_guzman and davez repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Improving the roster, to give yourself a better lineup, and a higher chance to win games, is not "just to say you've signed someone".

Do you really think the current Quakes lineup couldn't use any improvements?

Pick 2-4 out of:
    -starting GK
    -central attacking midfielder starting in front of our top draft picks
    -center back
    -forward, even a mid-level one to provide a different option or bring off the bench
    -another winger

Meanwhile we have plenty of dead weight on the roster that could be offloaded, including guys taking up international slots (Magnus, Qwiberg, Affolter)...

16. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't know where I said that. Stating an opinion that just rushing out and signing someone for the sake of signing someone doesn't sound like the best way to approach signing a player.

2in10 and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Don's eternal optimism aside, this is pretty much what I've been thinking as well. If the Quakes turn it around this year, I think you can pretty squarely put it on the coaching change. I'm not expecting the end results will be much different. We'll move from wooden spoon to last in or first out of the playoffs best case. That's my judgement of the value of a coach relative to the talent of the players. But I'm intellectually interested in the result.

If we are in conference finals and the three new players are all MLS best at the end of the year you could say we got player upgrades that contributed. At this point we have no idea whether we got upgrades, downgrades, or equivalents at those positions.

QuakeAttack and Beerking repped this.
  18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    that's right, we should be signing players for the sake of not sucking anymore. big time players who can lift this team and give fans a glimmer of hope after a decade of crap. this should be priority #1, especially after last season which broke all-time Quakes record for utter garbage.

Beerking, bobby_guzman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #19 falvo, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    He has been consistently hot and cold but I nominate Salinas for his longevity and mediocrity....

Look at all the DP’s and foreigners who have come and gone and yet Shea is still here. He outlasted Hucks, Geo, Dawkins Innocent , Ceren , Convey , MPG , Zura and Henok Goitom.

Beerking, Futbol_Head and mjlee22 repped this.
  20. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Shea is one of my favorite players. I realize he's not a top player in the league (please save all your jokes and snipes) but he in my mind is what an athlete should be in terms of character, work ethic and so many other qualities.
    The signing of a new LB is kinda squeezing him out but they have tried to replace him so many times before and he is incredibly persistent, tenacious, ... whatever - he just doesn't give up. No wonder he was re-signed to a new contract. I do hope he will have a role to play this year and knowing him I'm sure he will.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Comparing Shea to all the players who have come and gone, you hog up hint him credit. At least he is still here and that has to count for something.

22. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I suspect Fioranelli doesn't survive the season. The evidence will be pretty squarely against him if the team doesn't do well. He hired a bad coach for 2018, fine. But Almeyda is a coach with a track record that strongly suggests he'd be successful in MLS.

The fact that Almeyda seems to have taken the reigns in terms of who to sign pretty much immediately since signing on tells me Fioranelli never had a clue as to what he was doing. Stahre was so incompetent that he had no way of showing the lack of value in Fioranelli, but I think Almeyda will make it very obvious that the problems aren't with his staff.

DasMoots, Beerking and bobby_guzman repped this.
  23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_OI don't speak your language.

DotMPP, SalinasQuakesFan, 2in10 and 2 others repped this.
  24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should have been looking in August of last year. They ought to know who is available, and a what price, ball-park anyway. We should have a long list of players we're looking at, and three or four for every position where we think we need help. And if we don't, then we aren't really a professional team.

We have a long list of needs and we have not address all of them.

Even assuming that the new left back is good and the new right wing is a solid improvement over Eriksson, do we really think that a second division player from Brasil is going to be great shakes? Judson better be a big improvement over Alashe or Jackson. Hell, he needs to be better than Darwin Ceren.

The 2017 team made the playoffs, but just barely, and then got killed. Is the 2019 roster better than 2017? Wondo and Shea won't be as good in '19 as they were in '17. (Come on Wondo!! Prove me wrong!!) Tarbell has regressed. We need to be much better than we are, because every other team in the league is trying to improve also.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

QuakeAttack and bobby_guzman repped this.
  25. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 bobby_guzman, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
    Man....Just. Shut. Up.

He's a low-end DP being paid like a low-end DP. $1.4M is ********ing NOTHING in this league when it comes to DP.

tenfourteen repped this.