Finding a babysitter

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Ringo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    When our 2nd and 3rd kids (Twins) were infants, we hired a young girl, 11 years-old (if I remember correctly) as a mother's helper. She would take care of the babies on the weekend while my wife and I did some gardening or took a nap or whatever. As she grew older, we started to run errands and leave her alone for a half hour. Now she is older, the kids are older (3, 3, and 5) and she is a regular and favorite babysitter for us.

The point is the mommy-helper option (look after the kids while Mom is still home) gave her experience, mom a chance to warm up to the idea of babysitters, and all of us a chance to get to know each other. It was a good arrangement.

Hope this helps.

2. curvanord

curvanord New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    the best and most experienced babysitters are found by word of mouth. Either you or your wife need to talk to other parents in your children's school and see who they use and who they'd recommend. I've been babysitting for more than 10 years (I'm still a college student so its not sketchy hehe) and that is always how I have been found. Desperate sitters post themselves on sites and in ads. DON"T fall for it!!!

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    That's what Grandpas and grandmas are for.

I watch my 5 yr old grandaughter in my town she loves the Bigguy, and now that we have a new one in Jersey I will be communting to Jersey often to do the same.

What else do I have to do with my time that is more important nothing. I even bring the wife sometimes.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    several states away ..... hence the need for the thread. they all wish they could babysit every week. they love themselves some grandbaby! :)

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Didn't that part land Jude Law in deep doo-doo?

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Places to check:

- local day care probably employees high school/college kids that are experienced with kids
    - local high school probably held a red cross baby-sitting course

One suggestion especially if the babysitter is new to you and the kids is to actually have them come over, but you stay home, or a few minutes away. A friend of mine did this when she was a teenager. First time babysitting for one couple, they just hid out in another room and she played with the kids for a few hours. This way the kids where more comfortable, parents where more comfortable and everyone made a smooth transition to when she "really" babysat.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

we do that ... kind of an extended interview. you can tell how comfortable they are with the kids. for example, do they get on the floor and play or just sit on the couch and observe? we also have two ladies across the street that are bit past the babysitting stage (their words) who we let know so if the babysitter needs help there's somebody at hand.

8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was always the "sit on the couch and hope the kids don't cry"... I HATED babysitting. :D So I have even more respect for kids who actually enjoy it. Weird.

EDIT: Got the nickname changed this week--this is "montgjules" new handle.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man. I miss Montgjules already and I didn't even know what it meant.
    :(

:)

10. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha ha ha... Hopefully "Lizzie" will be just as fun as montgjules was. ;)

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you related to Mr. Bee?
    what does montgjules mean?

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If'n you MUST know... ;)

Unfortunately, I am NOT a real bee. I do not produce honey so I cannot guarantee you a discount on your alternative sugar needs. Nor do I make face creams and baby products. I am also NOT the second letter of the alphabet.

Lizzie Bee is my nod towards one of my favorite fictional characters, Elizabeth Bennett. I decided it wasn't smart to have my real name associated with an online forum. Privacy/safety thing and all that.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Damn. Maybe I should change mine too.

14. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought Caesar Augustus was way hot.

Prepare to be stalked my good man! I'll be the one buzzing around your apartment. Mwahaha...

Okay, sorry for the thread derail. I'll stop now! ;)

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh, lord. My wife is a massive P&P fan ... she would leave me in a hot second for Colin Firth (I wouldn't hold it against her, either ... I'm cool like that). I bought her the VHS and later the DVDs and we've seen them so many times I could honestly recite the entire movie if forced to. I've never read the book. But I can't even count how times I'v seen that mini-series. We could totally geek out and dish on our favorite P&P moments ... my wife has actually got frustrated watching it with me lately because I'll pause it to start discussing character and motivation like I was leading some sort of roundtable discussion. She hates it when I do that.

Great choice for a new name.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Bee or not to bee? Well, I guess we have the answer to that one. Willy would be relieved.

17. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! The latest version of P&P is outstanding, as well, but I'm pretty fond of Colin Firth. I mean, the older A&E version. :D

Edit: If your wife hasnt' seen it yet, don't miss "The Importance of Being Earnest" with Colin Firth!

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think my wife has seen everything Colin Firth has ever done. but i'll check.
    the new P&P was Ok ... but suffered by comparision.