Finding a babysitter

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by Ringo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What advice would BS have on this?

The young parents we know aren't in our town so we can't glom onto their babysitters and we've kinda had a look at the neighborhood girls. The best babysitters we could think of are my wife's students (high school) but she also teaches in another town. We'd like to find somebody local. Is craigslist a good/safe thing to do? is there a bigbabysitter.com?

2. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you find a good solution, let me know. Right now, I depend solely on family, who babysits for free, but I always feel guilty and they are occasionally resentful. We also have asked people at our church congregation to babysit occasionally, and they're happy to do it, but again, they do it for free and you don't want to overstep the bounds of kindness too much.

I don't even know how much I'm supposed to pay? I have three kids, but I could get one of them to sleep before a babysitter comes. So does that mean I only have to pay for two children? Or would that be cheap? Help! :)

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tough one. This is one time that I'm grateful that my wife is religious -- her church has a list of volunteers, girls from the church who want to babysit, and chances are that a girl from the church is going to be a pretty good babysitter.

So, um, yeah, find religion, and your babysitter problems may go away. ;)

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have two grown children in their 30s and two in their 20s, and also sat for kids as a teenager. We frequently had our best luck with local junior high kids (mostly girls, but we had some good boys also). Junior High kids (12-15years) are frequently more available than older kids who have real jobs, and romantic issues. If you want to stay out real late - particularly on weekdays, you might want older kids.

Usually I started with neighbors, church members, or work colleagues who work close. Try to identify kids who might be interested, and have them over to meet and interact with your kids. Do they like to play with your kids? Read stories? Play games? Or do they just want to watch TV and/or talk on the phone? If they don't seem too interested, ask them if they know kids.

5. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    What a bugaboo this has been for us because we live nowhere near any extended family. When the kids were much younger, we had their favorite daycare provider over now and then, and that was nice - we paid her a lot, but we knew she was a professional, and the kids both loved her. But since then ...

I used to be in a baby-sitting co-op, which I used on occasion but never for more than 2 hrs at a time. I just never felt comfortable asking somebody to watch the kids for, say, an evening out consisting of dinner and a movie, which I'd REALLY like to do.

There used to be a supposedly good teenager in our neighborhood, but we never got around to using her, and then she moved, so ..... our sad solution is pretty much ... we just never go out. Except WITH them to kid-friendly movies and restaurants. They're 6 and nearly 8. Only 5 more years till I think I'd be comfortable leaving them alone for an evening.

Which brings up the question (or maybe it deserves its own thread) - how old should they be before you leave your kids home alone?

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd start by seeing how they do by themselves as you leave for 5-10 minutes - to go get mail, take something to the neighbors. You can gradually increase time away as you and they grow confident in their ability.

These aren't questions to start with now, but to think about as they get older.
    - Are they Ok - just the two of them?
    - Do they fight or get along well when you're not in the room?
    - Do you have a cell phone, and do they know how to call you if there are emergencies or issues?
    - Are they calm, when things don't go right or do they panic?

I think we were comfortable leaving our kids for when they were 10 or 11. By the time they were 12, they were mature enough to sit for other smaller kids. Don't give them too much responsibility at one time. Especially early in the process, be available by phone or have a neighbor available. Sometimes the oldest decides to become king or the younger decides to do something that the older knows is wrong.

Good luck.

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Find the best looking teenaged girl you can.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe me, it's far worse when you live near them, but they're always too busy to babysit. However, when THEY want to see the grandkids, you'd better come running.

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Oh, I know there are pros and cons of living near family and so far, the cons have won out for us. Hence, we still live where we live. ;) But I can't help but be jealous of my brothers- and sisters-in-law who can run off to the city for an overnight trip or some such thing.

10. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't go out without my son. Chalk another one up for living nowhere near any of my family.

11. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DoctorD again.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    How old were you yourself when your parents let you stay hom alone?
    I myself was around 11-12, I think. But I guess it's different from child to child. Some might be ready earlier than others. I think it all depends on how independent and responsible your child is.

I remember, we had a family living down the street with four kids all about my own age. They had the biggest yard in the whole street so a lot of the time the other kids in the street would play there and even all stay for dinner, so we got to know the family pretty well.

But the thing was, from the time their oldest child was around 13-14, they would frequently go away on one or two week trips, and leave their children by themselves. Now, if I didn't know them so well, I would call that bad parenting. But they were in fact the most loving, committed parents you could imagine.

Their children had been thaught to be responsible, and if needed, call a relative or ask the neighbours for help if they couldn't handle a situation by themselves. And those kids did just fine, the house was immaculate, they spent the money their parents had left them for food and other stuff wisely. I'm fairly sure the fact that their parents trusted them to be responsible and mature at that early age helped them later in life.

However, I do feel that a lot of children can't be trusted for a night, let alone a week by themselves, but the point of my example is that age isn't the only factor at play here, you have to look at the child itself.

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I'm the youngest with a sister who is 8 years older and a brother who is 5 years older, so I don't recall ever even having a babysitter. From the age that I can remember until my brother went off to college, I always had an older sibling around. I CAN remember some quite interesting parties at the house when I was around 11 or 12, and my high school age brother was left in charge...

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    check the local high school. The one in my town has a list of girls who have taken the baby sitters course thru the red cross......If yours does not, then do what doctorD says and find the hottest girl you can

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when I was 13, mom and dad and little bro went to Disney. My older brothers, 17 and 18 at the time had a party one night.....I threaten to tell on them that they had pot in the house,,,,,they held me down and blew shot guns on my face until I was high as a kite......never did tell mom or dad,,,,,think I forgot

16. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    The World According to Garp

(to stay on topic, me and the mrs. just don't go out:D)

17. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    Get a family member that you know of to babysit the kids.

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we don't live near anyone.

if the answer was the easy, I wouldn't have started the thread.

:)

19. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    What about any friends that you have or even that your child has.

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

again, if it was that easy I wouldn't have started a thread. my friends ... well, I ain't leaving my chid with them. most of our other friends aren't the babysitting sort (either too busy or we wouldn't trust them).
    his friends are our friends, too (the parents) and most don't have the desire to add a second two-year-old to their brood. they're busy enough with their own kids that I wouldn't even ask.

:)

21. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Through a legal service, you can get a young, hot, educated live-in nanny from Mexico for about $10K a year. All the babysitting you want plus your kid grows up bilingual.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is america.

i like my immigrants illegal.

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I'm not a parent, so I really shouldnt be giving advice in this thread, BUT... I noticed nobody has mentioned babysitting clubs (unless the 'co-op' on the first page is the same thing).

If they exist in America, have a look into them - they can be great. I remember that when I was younger and we moved to a city where we knew few people, my parents got involved in one. It was originally started by about 10 or so couples who were all friends, and the idea is that you just trade 'hours' - every month my mum or dad would spend a night or two babysitting another family, and by doing so they earned hours to use when they wanted to go out. The 'secretary' (person who coordinated sitters and kept the 'time book') was rotated monthly, and didn't involve a huge amount of work. Has the added advantage of being free.

Only trouble is they tend to be a bit closed-shoppish. The group tends to be small and all friends (or at least acquaintences) who trust each other, and new additions tend to be friends or acquaintences of members. But ask around - someone might know somebody who can refer you to one. They're a great system, and a good way to make friends too.

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're welcome to give advice, especially when it's good advice like that. I'll check into it. i'm not sure where to start, but I'll see what I can find.
    interesting idea.

25. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    My wife worked at a fairly high end day care prior to our the arrival of our son 6 months ago. She and most of her co-workers baby sat on the side. If you don't have family in the area and your not planning on going the day care route you might try calling one, explain you situation, and asking if they can refer you to any of their trained day care workers. It will be hit or miss, as some day care centers worry that they'll lose their employees to people trying to hire a nanny.