Financial Woes????

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by VFL Wolfsburg, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darius Jovon

Darius Jovon New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a free one of those hot dog/corn dogs that's deep-fried, covered in cheese and chili or whatever it is that costs like 3.75 and could give me a heart-attack lol :D

I forgot the name of it. :confused:

2. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you could probably get some of the Athletica fans back with that promotion.

3. thesuperrookie

thesuperrookie New Member

May 20, 2010
    Twin Cities
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you are just being silly.

It must be the bathwater we are sending your way.

Thanks for the 3pts.

4. dccoulthard

dccoulthard New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Valier, IL
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ah, and I said this a day before the story broke in the Globe-Democrat. Just thought I would like to point that out :) That is all.

5. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok. But we're still in roughly the same position as before. The Vaid brothers defaulted. Athletica would still be around if the bond was larger and Cooper had more time to find investors. AC's bond will last a little longer while Cooper tries to find more investors or settles something legally with the Vaids.

You were right that Cooper did not notify the WPS. Was he obligated to? As far as we know Cooper aquired funding for both teams that was satisfactory. Sadly, that funding fell through and there appears to be some legal reason why Cooper couldn't step in and fund the teams personally. That's a shame. But it doesn't make Cooper a crook or a con-man like he's being portrayed on facebook or Big Soccer.

I hope that Cooper is working hard to save AC STL, and if he does I will be satisfied. Either way, he'll have a lot of questions to answer when this is all over. Until then, what is the point of saying, "I told you so." It doesn't advance the cause of Soccer in St. Louis one bit. The constant finger pointing and bitching does nothing but give those who want soccer to fail more ammunition. The fans of AC STL better hope to hell that Jeff Cooper still cares about Soccer or we're all ********ed.

Mistakes were made. Lets get over it. Jeff Cooper was the one that brought soccer to St. Louis and he may very well be the only one that can save it. I don't see anybody else with millions of dollars coming to the rescue. There is a whole lot that we don't know right now and every day a new source comes forward with their side of the story. I'd love it if Jeff Cooper would come out and make a full statement to the press, but I would imagine there are legal reasons he can't do so. I would also imagine that WPS is on its last legs as it is and maybe a financial decision was made, not based on his love or commitment, but on the cold hard facts that only one of these teams has a chance to survive long term anyway. And that's not sexist its business.

If anybody gives a rat's ass, we have a team left in St. Louis to support. We can kick the grave until we're blue in the face, but Athletica is gone. AC STL is on life support with a slight chance to survive. What are you gonna do? Support the living or mourn the dead. I'm going to love every minute I have with AC. If that ends tomorrow then it ends, if we make it until the end of the season I can say we had a great summer of soccer, and if by some chance we survive I will thank whoever saves the team. But until we know the whole story, what is the point of trying the case?

6. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the point?

Seems to me the only point being a fan of soccer in St. Louis has anymore is being Billy Badass on the internet arguing who's right and wrong.

Until amateur "writers", jaded feminists, bandwagon fans and self righteous supporters stop being a bunch of bitches and grow up I'm keeping away.

It's bad enough stressing if this entire fiasco will see us with a club in the near future. Dealing with this crap on a daily basis is beyond old.

7. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winner. Put me in the douche category. I need to get a frickin' life and quit obsessing about shit that is out of my control. Thank you Kyle for the wake up call.

8. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but if I quit obsessing, I might have to get some work done at work this week.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm guilty.

I've stopped posting on it.

10. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, this is my last post on this thread until OFFICIAL news comes out.

11. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't take me the wrong way if you have. We're in the same boat. A lot of us are.

Trying to have hope and stay positive and be happy we have a club to call our own takes a back seat to the constant bullshit.

I think it's just reached a boiling point with me.

12. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I didn't spend much time online this weekend because I had family in town and a big graduation party for my daughter. It was just the distance I needed to show me that I'm wasting too much time, emotion, and energy on this garbage.

We've got a team, for now, and there's nothing we can do about the future except to support it. Meanwhile, life goes on.

13. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly agree. I'm really torn on this one, though. I wore my jersey out to a couple of places this weekend, and got questions about it both times. Yet I still feel like someone needs to keep talking about it for hopes that we'll actually find out something one of these days. And since local media isn't going to do it, it's left to normal people asking questions.

But you might as well keep repping it for now. Hopefully something will get worked out.

14. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Some new news and conjecture on 24th Minute about AC St. Louis and NASL. Starts at the 22nd minute.

They are reporting that Jeff Cooper lied to the NASL as far as his involvement with AC St. Louis. He didn't tell them that the Said's were actual owners of AC St. Louis. Further to that the NASL will not be bailing out AC and that Cooper doesn't have any money to save the team. It is looking more and more likely he was snake oil salesman. Interesting listen.

15. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haven't listened to it yet, but that's not even close to what I've been hearing. I doubt the veracity of this report.

16. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Have you been talking to the NASL? These guys have been.

17. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1st. Sounds like its done in somebody's mother's basement.

2nd. They don't even know the names of the Vaid brothers that everyone knows are the London investors.

3rd. They say "maybe" Cooper doesn't have the money. They have no source. Then they carry on with the line of thinking that he is a snake-oil salesman.

There is no more to this "report" than the rumors that have been going around. It seems they have the Athletica and AC STL narratives intermixed because some things ring true to what happened to Athletica. They also seem to be behind the news on other topics they discuss like NASL commissioner.

AC STL may indeed fold, but these guys have no insight. Talking to NASL could mean they called the front office and talked to the receptionist. There is no new info here, just more speculation and rumors.

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Exactly. That was a joke. They implied NASL didn't know anything of the Vaid Brothers.

Anyone who saw the initial presser knew the Vaids were involved.

19. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Actually they said that the NASL didn't know that Cooper sold his majority share in the team to the Vaids. If you have a link proving otherwise, send it to 24th Minute. Anyways, that is a fairly scummy thing to do, especially since the NASL source claims that the NASL would have done a vetting process in that case.

20. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Putting your head in the sand won't help. These guys have proven over and over again that they have great and legitimate sources.

21. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but they kept calling them the Sayeds. Kinda ruins credibility if you don't even know the names of the main characters.

22. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my head isn't in the sand. I fully acknowledge that AC STL may be on its last legs, but these guys add nothing to the discussion and have several facts wrong and are just repeating rumors that have gone around so many times they are starting to blend together.

23. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they were doing a recap from the Lost finale.

24. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Actually Ben Rycroft and Duane Rollins are very acurate about there reporting and there show has been around since earlier 2008. I trust these guys on there reports. They have proven to be very relaible.

25. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna
    I agree, but the Vaids were introduced as "directors" not investors or majority owners, if that makes a difference.