Final U17 camp roster announced, roster due soon

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Feels like it can have its own thread -- last pre-India camp:

CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2017) – U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach John Hackworth has called 23 players to take part in a five-day training camp at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. from Sept. 19-24.

The camp will be Hackworth’s final opportunity to bring the U-17 player pool together before deciding on a final 21-man roster for the FIFA U-17 World Cup.

...​

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Budnik (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Carlos Joaquim Dos Santos (S.L. Benfica; Philadelphia, Penn. ), Justin Garces (Atlanta United FC; Miami, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (9): George Bello (Atlanta United FC, Douglasville, Ga.), Sergino Dest (Ajax; Almere-stad, Netherlands), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Tyler Shaver (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.), Akil Watts (Portland Timbers, Fort Wayne, Ind.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): George Acosta (North Carolina FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Taylor Booth (Real Salt Lake; Eden, Utah), Blaine Ferri (Solar Soccer Club; Southlake, Texas), Chris Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Locust Grove, Ga.), Alex Mendez (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Indiana Vassilev (Unattached; Savannah, Ga.)

FORWARDS (6): Ayo Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton Ont.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Ulysses Llanez (LA Galaxy; Lynwood, Calif.), Jacobo Reyes (C.F. Monterrey; Houston, Texas), Bryan Reynolds (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Texas), Joshua Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; O'Fallon, Mo.)
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...worth-calls-in-23-ahead-of-fifa-u17-world-cup

Even without carefully thinking over the names, it's hard not to think one of the defenders and one of the forwards gets pulled, though some of those guys move between lines.

Gacm32, Pl@ymaker, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The final roster deadline is Sept. 21. All names must come from the provisional roster, which was due in early August.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Might need more. Wea isn't here and may be be De la Fuente.

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nice catch on Weah. Konrad, who knows...

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder what's up with Vasquez on defense -- he's played frequently for the U17s, but hasn't always looked very good, and is missing from this roster. He wasn't at the last camp, either.

I believe this is just the second time Dest has been called to our U17s since last November, so it's nice to see him back.

TxEx repped this.
  6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He was the worst on the team at qualifiers. By far.

Gacm32 and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Wonder if he's fallen out of favor with Hackworth at this point.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Are these the only 23 still in contention? Seems like mostly the group you'd expect, at this point. Only real notable things to say are that Vasquez seems to have been dropped (not at this or the prior camp, along with no Weah and no Arteaga, but their club teams have been reluctant to release them this cycle, so hard to know. I think they are both gonna make the team, but this could be the group, minus two who will get left off the 21.

Also, the roster is due to FIFA by the 21st. This camp is the 19-24th. Is Hackworth gonna make the cuts after day two or does he already know his roster? If some of these players are not on the roster, why are they at the camp?

Just my opinion, but I believe he cuts Mendez, Watts, Reyes and Booth while adding Weah and Arteaga. I'd cut Bello, Akinola, Ferri, Mendez while adding Weah and Arteaga.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hate to say it, but a lot of this team's problems are solved if he's not there. Thats one of the 3 major problems. Akinola not starting would be another solved, and then fixing the CM would be the last. But 1 of 3 isn't bad either, usually our coaches for USYNT's and the USMNT don't fix any.

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not Vasiliev?

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I worry there. Vassilev scored two goals in a recent camp, and Hackworth seems to like his game more than I like his game. Booth has earned a starting spot on this team, but Hackworth has failed to give it to him. Logically, a CM should be cut, Vassilev has some versatility, can play wide or even LB, so I think he might not be in contention for that cut. For me, its Ferri who gets cut with Acosta coming right after him, but for Hackworth, I think he's gonna cut Booth.

Patrick167 repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Also......................we continue to notice no Ferreira. I haven't seen or heard anything about him being with Colombia. Our last report from FCD training indicated that he was there.

It wouldn't SHOCK me if Weah wasn't released. Which is fine. We can't force clubs to release players if they don't want to.

Not many surprises for me on this roster. I suspect the squad and alternates (who sometimes travel with the team) will come from this group.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #13 ussoccer97531, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Also Arteaga. Arteaga is this team's top CB, but he's a starter for LAG II, and they haven't been the best with releasing their players either, so it wouldn't completely surprise me if they didn't want to send him away for a month, maybe they think USL matches is a better level for him the next month. Could also be that he's gonna make the roster and LAG didn't want to release him for this particular camp (Llanez and Mendez are more likely on the fringe, so they could need to be there) or maybe Hackworth is going to cut him (and Weah) for some reason, and this is actually the the 23 in contention for 21 spots. If so, I think the cuts are a little easier. A full-back (likely Watts) and Mendez are the obvious cuts, although if Mendez makes the squad, I think Reyes would be the next cut.

If this is the roster though, I think Hackworth has went for too many full-backs and not enough CB's. Durkin is notably listed as a defender here, so there's a chance he could be playing as a CB, but you still only would have 3 CB's (Durkin, Sands, Shaver), and then there's obviously a spot vacant as a #6, if Durkin plays CB. I don't think this is the greatest roster either with #6 options, besides Durkin and Sands (who are listed as defenders). Goslin and Booth could both play there in a pinch, but I don't think either are #6's (think both are more #8's), especially not if they are paired with Ferri and Acosta who give you nothing defensively.

The Bello inclusion (instead of someone like Asensio) makes no sense to me. Bello is a luxury player, the starting LB is very good, should not be leaving the field, and then you could have the back ups as Watts who has done rather good as a full-back on both sides, and then Asensio who can competently fill in at 3 spots (CB, LB, DM). Even if Bello's cut though, why do you need two back ups full-backs who don't play any other position to the best of my knowledge? Its nitpicking, but if we have any CB/#6 injuries/suspensions or if players at those positions struggle, it could look stupid that we have so many full-backs and #8/10's and so few #6's/CB's. Even striker is lacking depth (unless Weah is brought in). Sargent shouldn't leave the field, but you might use two strikers, so Reynolds is the back up, but what if there's an injury or suspension? Who's striker 3? Probably Akinola, but I can't remember the last time Hackworth used him as a striker instead of winger.

14. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not sure about the latter two statements. He certainly has started with LAG II but so have a lot of other centerbacks; defensive depth on the first team has been a problem all season - which is why we've actually seen Arellano being the sole backup for the first team. The pecking order at the USL level is probably Payeras, Arellano, Castellanos, Engola and then Arteaga. In the last game (9/9 vs Reno) he wasn't even on the bench, although maybe he has a knock.

Also, have there been times where the LAG has refused national team callups? If so, it seems shortsighted. At this age, getting international experience seems more important than another USL game against older, but less skilled players.

Gacm32 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He was at the last U-17 camp on the 9th, so thats the reasoning for that. I don't think its likely that they won't release him, I'm just stating that as a possibility. I think it probably is that he's already made the roster, and LA is very picky with call ups. Llanez and Mendez probably have not, so they kind of need to be here, if they are going to make the team. But there are many variables in this equation, so its hard to know what is the case.

And yes, I posted a tweet here a number of months ago (can't find it, but its somewhere in this forum) by someone in the know that states LA, Philly (and I think it was one other club) are very picky with YNT call ups. There's also the Kleiban factor where they could be pushing players away from the NT program, it just doesn't make sense that with all these quality players in these age groups that so few are on these YNT rosters.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This roster has to be named tomorrow.

@bshredder, any hints or are you not covering this tournament?

17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not as involved as I am with the U-20s (never am with the U-17s). I know the the core is the same as qualifying

anivha and TarHeels17 repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #18 Clint Eastwood, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Pretty amazing how many of this U17 group already have signed contracts. I'm too lazy to research whether its more than previous cycles, but it sure seems like it.

I suspect there will be some interesting movement with some of the rest after the tournament. Ferri and Akinola spring to mind. Ferri's a 2019 and not associated with an MLS team. He's gotta make a decision soon. At the very least he should head to an MLS academy. I wonder if FCD has explored acquiring his "homegrown rights" in the way that SKC acquired Sargents's. We heard rumors that he may have a Euro passport (or access to one anyway). Was that ever confirmed?

I'm having feverish thoughts about adding Ferri to the current FCD U19 stable. EGADS!!! Ferreira to the left of him, Pomykol to the right, Reynolds, Padilla, or Reid up top.
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna have to sit down and conjure up a Texas U20 national team. It may seriously challenge California......................(of course I'm giving Ferreira to Texas :))

Way2late and GoingGoaling repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So where's the roster? Its due today.

20. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else humming Stuck in the Middle with you?

Winoman and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  21. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles

TarHeels17 repped this.
  22. Way2late

Way2late New Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Ferri played for Solar U19s last weekend, so he's out for FCD's U19 team this year. Not sure why he'd join them next year when he can turn 18 head to Europe and finish HS through internet classes.

23. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This won't be extremely helpful since it's only MLS homegrowns, but I have been trying to keep track of pertinent information for them. Here's a link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FaLh5_WAjRIa_wDnf4OUOn2OHNQXLfHevq3LpoFXdGM/edit?usp=sharing

It's copied from an excel spreadsheet so some formulas became values, but it still works. Feel free to copy it, critique it, tell me to add columns, or tell me I spend way too much time on this. All is welcome.