Final play of ISL-FIN

Discussion in 'Referee' started by AremRed, Oct 7, 2016.

1. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
  2. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's got to be a red for grabbing the ref like that. We condone what we allow.

As to what I'm assuming is the bigger question of goal or no goal, I have no idea with that angle.

3. timtheref

timtheref Member

Aug 23, 2010
    That should be a red and more. That's one of the most ridiculous reactions Ive seen. That's my game and I'm sending the player off and strongly considering abandoning the match.

tomek75 repped this.
  4. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just the original grab around the waist should be enough for the red. But grabbing the referee's jersey from behind and pulling is way over the line.

RespectTheGame and That Cherokee repped this.
  5. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I don't know if there's a replay that clearly shows what the referee or linesman could see, but the Finland gk had the ball solidly trapped between is left arm and body, on the goal line, when island (sic) attacker poked it over. Certainly the goal should have not been given.

Hence the vehemence of the protest.

Another call that an AAR could have really helped with.

6. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Eh, I'm not convinced that it didn't go over the line before the keeper managed to trap the ball. Either way, goal no goal is practically impossible to tell from this angle.

7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. Fox showed a replay where the GK had the ball completely trapped on the goal line. Wasn't even close to crossing the whole line. Honestly can't fully expect the referee or AR to see through that many players though, so when in doubt keep playing soccer. It would be nice if the referee caught it, but there was tons of traffic to look through and it happened very fast.

I did mean to ask, not just because of this situation but why aren't they using AARs in WCQs in UEFA if they have been using them for years in CL & EL? @MassachusettsRef

akindc repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a FIFA competition. Per FIFA, same rules of competition must apply across all confederations. UEFA would do it if they were allowed to do so.

I'm most concerned about the mechanics, here, relative to how the goal was awarded. The AR never signals for goal in this video. I'm wondering what happened off camera and, now that I've seen this play, will dig elsewhere for more video.

Oh, and you're not abandoning this match. Maybe you're sending the player off (you absolutely should, but in the heat of the moment, who knows?--it's not like Moen doesn't know, by the book, that getting grabbed like that is a send off). But there's no time left in a World Cup qualifier and you're not in any physical threat. You finish this game.

9. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You've seen more video than I have. My question isn't where the ball was trapped but where the ball was before it was trapped. It appears to me that it was pulled back towards the field of play before he traps it against the ground. How far over the line did it get before that is what I can't determine.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allow me to amend my remarks above before they get jumped on in any way.

The Finnish captain should have been sent off. He absolutely had to be sent off. He should be suspended. And Moen will get terrible marks for not dealing with it appropriately.

All I was saying is that, sometimes, in the heat of the moment, even the best referees in the world don't think clearly and end up making decisions that are unacceptable. So while Moen was wrong not to show red, I understand that atmospheres in certain situations can create the environment where mistakes like this happen.

dadman, That Cherokee, AremRed and 2 others repped this.
  11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That has to be a sending off. I understand at the professional level that more contact will be allowed, than usual, with an official, but that's absurd. You can't do that! You need to have some courage and send him off. That's just a bad look for the sport.

This is is a perfect example of where technology is not panacea for everything. Even if you have GLT here and video replay, you still might not get the call right. When did the ball go over if it went over at all? Was it kicked out of the keepers hands and as a result went over? GLT would say goal here. Replay might say no goal here.

That Cherokee and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    GLT would have shown the ball over or not. And no one would have argued.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuHf1pWXYAARewm.jpg:large

Obviously this still lacks context. This is why I don't know if GLT would have solved the problem. I need to dig more, but I think Finnish protests have more to do with the goalkeeper having possession and/or (and I'm totally inventing this, but it looks possible) any sort of handling that could have happened by an attacker in the scrum.

14. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well here the argument isn't whether the ball was over, but whether the ball was legally over. GLT responds in a second, IIRC. A lot happened in that second. This is the rare case where GLT is not of much use.

AremRed repped this.
  15. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I ask out of sheer ignorance...is there any time-stamping involved in GLT, such that the timeline of the ball's position could be compared to the video? Or is it as simple as a binary yes/no with no other data?

Perhaps this is the key to my first million bucks!

16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The keeper certainly traps the ball before the Icelandic player kicks it in.
    However, I'm not convinced the ball didn't cross the line before the keeper traps it.

5:20 mark