Final Match predictions

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by balu, Jun 21, 2018.

?

Who will referee the World Cup FInal?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2018.
  1. BRYCH (GER)

8.0%
  2. CAKIR (TUR)

12.0%
  3. KUIPERS (NED)

32.0%
  4. MAZIC (SRB)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ROCCHI (ITA)

4.0%
  6. SKOMINA (SVN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. PITANA (ARG)

4.0%
  8. RICCI (BRA)

4.0%
  9. ROLDAN (COL)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. AGUILAR (SLV)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. GEIGER (USA)

24.0%
  12. FAGHANI (IRN)

8.0%
  13. IRMATOV (UZB)

4.0%
  14. Other, please name

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    In the spirit of the Opening Match poll, I thought we might have a poll for the Final. Here's recent history:

14 Germany : Argentina - RIZZOLI (ITA)
    10 Netherlands : Spain - WEBB (ENG)
    06 Italy : France - ELIZONDO (ARG)
    02 Germany : Brazil - COLLINA (ITA)
    98 Brazil : France - BELQOLA (MAR)
    94 Brazil : Italy - PUHL (HUN)

2. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Although many posters thought Irmatov might have a shot, I think we can safely say he is out of contention after today’s performance.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went with Kuipers, but I think Brych has a great chance if Germany bomb out.

4. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

I'd love it to be Geiger, but I am thinking they are holding the VAR spot for him on that game for some reason.

Weird mechanics besides, I think Rocchi could stand a chance. He conducted a really entertaining match to start the tournament out in grand fashion with that Portugal - Spain tie. Italy is out. It's conceivable.

5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    He would be the second consecutive Italian referee and third in five WCs, so I think his chances are lower because of this. But I agree it's still conceivable, which is why I put him on the poll.

6. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Brazil played in 3 consecutive finals ... just saying :p

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who loves these sort of predictive games, I’ll say this is way too early. No serious final contender had even had his second match and we don’t know which teams will be where yet. The last three tournaments have shown that knockout performances matter. They will again.

For me, nothing has changed. Pitana, Kuipers and Geiger top the list. But Brych and Rocchi are both viable, as is Ricci. If anything has changed, Sikazwe is ahead of Gassama if an African is called and Faghani is ahead of Irmatov if it’s Asia. But I don’t think either situation is likely based on the current performances.

I think you have 6 referees seriously competing at this very moment. But that number could expand or contract over the next 11 days.

8. dawgtide

dawgtide Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga.
    #8 dawgtide, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    MassRef is right about being a little early. The one I remember in particular is Collina from Italy in 2002. He had a great round of 16 match that eliminated one of the hosts (Japan) and therefore got picked for the final.

That is also where I learned that referees could get dropped for bad matches. In the game 3 matchday Nieto from Spain couldn’t handle a contentious game between Germany and Cameroon. I thought fights were going to break out. He gave over 10 cards that day. They gave more cards back then too.

9. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

That's why we need a new pole at the end of the groups then after every knockout round. Lol

10. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not out of the realm of possibility that the entire crew of the Costa Rica-Brazil game could be the crew for the final.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Way to early. Not much is out of the realm of possibility at this point. Yes, they did well, but it’s one game. And I’m guessing that the VAR will be a ref who was in the running for the Final whistle, who gets VAR as a consolation prize.

12. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    My inner battle

Me to Inner Me.jpg

frankieboylampard repped this.
  13. Sasquatch672

Sasquatch672 Member

May 11, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gut tells me that the ENG - COL match only helped Geiger, and that match is why he, along with Diedhiou, Rocchi, and Conger, are being held in reserve for the final. I predict that Collina will follow the "no team twice" convention. That's why he left out Pitana after a sterling performance: Pitana refereed both France and Croatia, and therefore was unlikely to be able to meet this criterium.

This is Geiger's second World Cup, the only one of the final four to bear that distinction. He's also done a World Cup final before, and no one, not Collina, Blatter, or anyone, has forgotten that sterling performance between Portugal and Brazil.

Predictions, based on matchups:

ENG - BEL: Rocchi
    CRO - BEL: Geiger
    CRO - FRA: Geiger
    ENG - FRA: Diedhiou

bennyf118 repped this.
  14. Sasquatch672

Sasquatch672 Member

May 11, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't someone already say Frank Anderson is on the way home?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  16. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Thanks for the info I totally didn’t know that.

17. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes- Geiger will not be center on the final as Anderson was sent home. He could be 4O with Fletcher as reserve AR or on the VAR team (and I think he will be) but he won’t be in the middle.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If it is an France/England final, I think Kuipers gets the whistle. I had the feeling he would not get it if Belgium were there. This will be a big match and I don't know that Faghani is up to it (if they go in that direction).

19. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not real up to speed on the referee selection process, but that would be a whole lot of Western Europe on the field. I gather assignments for this WC have been a bit out of the ordinary, but surely there are other non-UEFA referees still in Russia who could do the job just fine, right?