Final Match predictions, v2

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018: Refereeing' started by balu, Jul 10, 2018.

?

Who will referee the 2018 World Cup Final?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. FAGHANI (IRN)

22.4%
  2. DIEDHIOU (SEN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. GEIGER (USA)

2.0%
  4. RAMOS (MEX)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. PITANA (ARG)

16.3%
  6. RICCI (BRA)

28.6%
  7. CONGER (NZL)

2.0%
  8. KUIPERS (NED)

16.3%
  9. MAZIC (SRB)

4.1%
  10. ROCCHI (ITA)

8.2%
  1. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Now that we're in the final stages of the tournament, it's time to open up the poll again :p Who do you think will referee the 2018 World Cup Final?

There will be prizes, in the form of BigSoccer bragging rights, if you get all 9 members of the crew correct (Referee, AR1, AR2, 4th, Reserve AR, VAR, AVAR1, AVAR2, AVAR3) :D

2. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Let the tiebreaker be whoever most closely picks the minute for Dr Joe's first contribution to the proceedings.

usaref repped this.
  3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for Dr. Joe to be FIFA Match Commissioner.

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    If France wins today I think Kuipers, Ricci if Belgium wins. I'm new to this "guess who will get the assignment" game.

5. me116

me116 Member

Aug 25, 2017
    My predictions:

Referee: Faghani (IRN)
    AR1: Sokhandan (IRN)
    AR2: Mansouri (IRN)
    4th Official: Geiger (USA)
    Reserve AR: Fletcher (USA)
    VAR: Irrati (ITA)
    AVAR1: Makkelie (NED)
    AVAR2: Maidana (ARG)
    AVAR3: Ricci (BRA)

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This part... is not a bad idea.

I'm still not completely sold on Faghani, but I know others have been and I understand he's a strong contender for the Final. If it's not Ricci, this makes sense and has a nice added little political bonus for FIFA.

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't think its Faghani either. At least I hope it isn't as I don't think he's been that good to warrant the FInal.

If Faghani does get it, I think it could be a sign that Irmatov had a real shot at getting the Final if he didn't screw up his matches so bad (long shot I know). He might have been even the favorite in their eyes. I think it also means that they planned to go outside of UEFA from the very beginning because I don't think Faghani set the tournament on fire where you kind of have to give it to him.

I think Ricci is the leader. If Cunha got an, undeserved in my opinion, semi-final appointment, I can't see why Ricci, who maybe has been the best referee this World Cup, doesn't get the Final.

If they go with a UEFA referee it's probably between Mazic and Rocchi. Mazic is obviously out if Croatia advance. But who knows with Busacca. I wouldn't put it past him putting a Serb on a Croat match. He doesn't seem to know or care too much about geopolitics when it comes to assigning.

Mazic is coming of a good CL Final and that I think could put him in position to get the match. It's tough to say it is a trend, but recent major tournament FInals have been awarded to referees who just came off the CL Final so there is something to be said about going with the hot hand so to speak.

Webb famously did the CL and World Cup Final in the same year. Proenca did the CL Final in 2012 and then the European Championship Final. Clattenburg did the "treble" of CL, FA Cup Final and European Championship Final in 2016.

It's also a nice fail safe for FIFA. If something goes wrong they can just say, "well he just did the CL Final without problems, we put the best guy out there."

For me, I think Rocchi has been the best UEFA referee this tournament and he did get the biggest match of the group stage and probably merits the Final on performance, but with Rizzoli getting it last time and Collina get it in 2002 I think it would be a tough sell to have 3 out of the last 5 World Cup Finals done by an Italian.

Kuipers and Pitana are out. No way will a referee get three KO matches in a World Cup and that's what would happen if either do get it.

8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    In regards to the third place game, I think Conger has a real shot at getting it.

I have looked at every third place match assignment with the 1998 World Cup and only in the 2014 World Cup has a third place referee actually done a KO match prior to the assignment. Meaning they have been sidelined for all the games that actually count for something.

Of the referees and their trios still left Conger is the only that hasn't worked a KO match.

So they retain him for the entire World Cup, but not use him at all? It happened to Lahoz which I still find totally bizarre. Perfect opportunity to give a referee from Oceania a match in the latter stages no matter how meaningless.

In recent time, with the exception of Archundia in 2010 it has recently gone to some of the lesser referees and less countries.

1998: Paraguay

2002: Kuwait

2006: Japan

2010: Mexico (Archundia)

2014: Algeria

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It would shock me if Faghani didn't get the final, that he wouldn't get the 3rd place match as consolation. For me, it is one of these two matches for him and, unfortunately, I think the 3rd place match is slightly more likely than the final.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Conger's crew can't do the 3/4 playoff if England is in it, since one of his AR's is an English native (and citizen?).

Also, I'd argue that Kamikawa in 2006 had an amazing tournament and should have (and probably was) in contention for a semi. One of the reasons people started looking so strongly at Nishimura in 2010 is precisely because his predecessor did so well in 2006. So I'd take some issue with him being a "lesser referee."

11. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I'd be surprised if they don't pick a European. But I don't know all of the politics like you guys do.

I've thought Faghani has been poor. But the standard in general hasn't seemed great to me, likely due to the instructions they've all been stuck with. I don't really understand the whole "what FIFA wants" thing since it seems to be 100% diametrically opposed to what pretty much what everyone else in the football world wants.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The final will be a super high profile game and I would be surprised if they go with Faghani for this match. I voted for Kuipers in the poll and still think he will get the whistle given two UEFA teams are in the final and his experience in Euro competitions will be helpful.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    When I thought the final will be between France and England, my sense was that Faghani may not be awarded the final but would get the consolation game instead. Now, with the final being between France and Croatia, I feel his chances of getting the final are better than any one else. There are 2-3 referees with a legitimate chance of getting it, but in my view he is the most likely choice.

14. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    When can we expect an announcement? Tomorrow?

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3/4 playoff today, Final tomorrow.

But that's if standard 48-hour practice holds. FIFA did announce all four QFs at once despite them being over two days. So you could see a joint announcement today. Part of me expects that. After all, would FIFA really tell the 3/4 playoff officials today and then wait until tomorrow to tell the Final referees? Seems like unnecessary suspense. And giving officials an extra day to prepare for the Final seems smart, too.

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm guessing those in the running are doing a bit of unofficial prep while they wait. Must be a maddening wait for those guys.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure everyone is doing that. But the psychological prep for knowing you're actually about to do a game in front of 2 billion people... I'd take 72 hours over 48, if possible.

18. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    TBH, I suspect that the refs for the 3/4 and final were already told.

The announcement is 48h (approximately) beforehand. The refs themselves likely know already.

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #19 Iranian Monitor, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Other than Faghani, the names I see being mentioned most here are Ricci (Brazil) and Kuippers (Netherlands).

With regard to Kuippers, one of the points made is that a UEFA referee is the best for a final between 2 UEFA sides. The last time we had a final between 2 UEFA sides at the World Cup, namely World Cup 2010 final between Spain and Holland, the referee was Howard Webb of England. My view was that if the final was between France and England, a UEFA referee was almost certain. But for some reason, I don't think the same applies to a final between France and Croatia.

With regard to Ricci, he was assigned Croatia-Nigeria and France-Denmark during the group stage, meaning he has officiated matches involving both France and Croatia. I also don't know if that is helpful or hurtful of his chances to get the final.

p.s.
    needed to edit and correct my post.

20. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Kuipers is out. He was 4th on the semifinal and has already done two knockout games.

It's between Ricci, Faghani and Rocchi.

I honestly think if Croatia lost last night that Mazic would have gotten it.

My guess is that it will be Ricci. Maybe, Faghani or Rocchi as 4th.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throughout the tournament, the officials were told in a meeting that occurred just before the announcement. Sometimes there was a few minutes of lag. Sometimes there were a couple hours. So I don't think this is right.

I think the referees are having their meeting/dinner now and one or both of the assignment will be announced there. The meeting concludes around 830 or 9pm Moscow time. Then you get the public announcement. If precedent holds, of course.

22. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quit with all these facts getting in the place of people's WAGs that keep everyone wondering. Conspiracy theories are more fun!

Ghastly Officiating repped this.
  23. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

I just hope Geiger gets something... Anything.

24. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Can only be VAR now...

25. GoneSouth

GoneSouth Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Oops