FINAL - GER : ARG - RIZZOLI (ITA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    My two cents: I think a large part of it is that referees don't want to be known for one single match. If Rizzoli had red-carded Howedes in the 33rd minute, his lifetime of work would be wiped away in a flash, and all he would be remembered for by most of the world was that he made Germany play a man down for 60 minutes, essentially ruining a World Cup Final. I think it takes a super-obvious red (e.g. Zidane in 2006) for a referee to go that route, a red that the ref has to be 120% sure about. Either that or a very courageous referee, who feels secure about his legacy. Collina perhaps, if he had been the ref on Sunday, would have shown Howedes a red. Not too many others, though.

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I wouldn't be so quite sure about that

Look at the hour and seven minute mark (1:07) or 17 minutes into the second half.

It was a different time and different game, but I think even at that time that was a red card.

3. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I dunno. Looked to me like a 50-50 ball and both players slide in studs up. What would you do, send them both off?

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of Ronaldo's horrible haircut.:eek:

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    The guy has obviously seen different replays than anybody else...

IASocFan repped this.