Fight of the year

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Zviggy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just wondering what is everyones fight of the year so far?

By far my favourite this year is Nick Diaz vs. Takonori Gomi at Pride 33. Baroni vs. Frank Shamrock was also interesting.

2. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jackson Liddell it was short but exciting

3. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of actual fight quality, it wasn't at the level of Gomi/Diaz (which probably is FOTY so far), but the energy and crowd heat for Sylvia/Couture was amazing.

It was one hell of a spectacle - the bar I was watching the fight at is filled with Martial Artists/MMA Fighters for UFC PPVs and the entire crowd was standing at the end.

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I didn't see the Gomi/Diaz fight but from the past 12 months the Couture/Sylvia fight is my tops.

5. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll third that, rarely have I been that excited for a fight of any kind like I was that night.

6. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Mismatch Diaz was a welter weight against Gomi who is a light weight.

Baroni v Shamrock terrible fight. Shamrock was injured and Baroni was not fit and did sterioids.

Interesting you brought these two fights up because Diaz challeged Frank Shamrock to a fight.

Who knowes when it will happen?

7. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Fights I liked the big upsets St.Pierre against Serra. Couture against Sylvia.

After Matt Hughes fights Matt Serra look for the winner to fight Karo.

8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Karo versus either of these guys could be up for a fight of the year.

9. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Karo is an animal it is fun watching him.

10. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    LOL at mismatch. Seriously, the guys both made weight for the fight so how can you call it a mismatch due to size? BTW, do you know what Gomi walks around at? He is a big boy and could easily fight at welterweight. Pride made their lightweight division at 161lbs (UFC is 155lbs) because guys like Gomi couldnt make 155lbs.

As for Baroni vs. Shamrock...injured or not injured/steroids or no steroids, the fight was entertaining and thats why i liked it. Im not a fan of both of the fighters as well.

11. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    "LOL at mismatch. Seriously, the guys both made weight for the fight so how can you call it a mismatch due to size?"

Did you notice the fight between Diaz and Gomi was not a championship fight? The reason it was not was they both fought at their normal wts. Gomi light wt and Diaz as a welter weight.

12. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    I knew Robert Duran. When he was not fighting he was well over 200 lbs.

He looked like a small furniture mover in between fights.

You think he could have fought professionally at that weight? No way.

13. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Firstly the fight was at Las Vegas so the NSAC sanctioned the event and both guys had to fight within the SAME weight divisoin. Pride regularly has non-championship fights with their champions. Marcus Aurelio vs. Takanori Gomi was a non-championship fight as well. Gomi lost that one but did not lose his championship belt. He then took on Marcus Aurelio for the championship and won a split decision.

The fight between Diaz and Gomi was at 161lbs. They werent fighting at two different weight divisions!!!

http://www.mmanews.com/pride/Full-PRIDE-33-Weigh-In-Results--Loads-Of-Exclusive-News.html
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures.asp?n_id=6826

14. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007

Then I stand corrected.

15. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Another fight that i forgot about was Tyson Griffin against Frank Edgar!

16. Diakonov

Diakonov Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going to post this, amazing fight. Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida was very good as well.

17. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    It is a beautiful sport and some of these guys arwe going to kill it because of the use of steriods. Got to put a stop to that fast.