Fifth biggest club in the Bundesliga

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by el americano, Jun 10, 2015.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brand Finance rates the brand worth of VfB at $121 million, up from $102 million. Nevertheless, we drop in position from 28th to 32nd. On the other hand, we moved above HSV to 5th in the BL. Our reputation is taking more of a hit from not being competitive than attempting to get relegated, I would guess.

European Club Values

In addition, I was surprised our average attendance is Top 10 in Europe. Yet, 85% of capacity isn't incredible in Germany. We could be closer to 60,000 if we sold out most games. Now attendance is only one part of earnings, but as has been said so many times in this forum, VfB is too big to be sitting at the bottom of the table!

Winoman repped this.
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With partnerships, naming rights, TV money, etc., I really wonder why VfB doesn't have the bank to do better. It seems they do everything on the cheap, from hiring management, to signing players, to developing youth and selling THEM cheap. I don't get it.

Is it a case of upper management siphoning off profits? I know the upgrade to the stadium cost a lot, but damn, VfB NEVER has any money to go after decent players. They're either looking for players on a free, or in other teams bargain basements.

BTW, did I say I don't get it? ;)

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time they were in the top 20 of revenue (2010), Deloitte had a nice breakdown of where their money had come from. It was our last Champions League year. We had finished 3rd the year before, and broadcast and matchday money was ahead of our German counterparts. Even at that time, commercial revenue (sponsorships and partnerships) was weak. The stadium improvement was meant to improve attendance and corporate suites, but only a higher profile is going to boost our sponsor deals. Gazi was a step down from EnBW. I don't know about Mercedes Bank. It's a prestigious mark on the shirt, but it could be a package deal with the stadium rights. I think the only way to boost the commercial revenue is to be competitive and have at least one star that is well known. Gentner shouldn't be the face of the franchise.

If we had been relegated, that would have destroyed our marketability. Now, we have the chance to turn it around by picking up a couple of quality defenders and one big name in the midfield or attack. They could expect returns in the form of increased attendance - 50,000 is good, but we have 60,000 seats now - and a higher profile when it comes time to renew sponsorship deals. Of course, if we get back into Europe that extra broadcast and matchday money would follow on, too. Unfortunately, as I recall, the Europa League money doesn't compare to Champions League. Hard to imagine top 3 any time soon, though. So, top 6 it will have to be.

stonesean and Winoman repped this.
  4. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 stonesean, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Europa League money isn't even close. WINNING the Europa Cup earns your team 6,000,000 Euros.
    Simply making the Champions League group stage earns your team 12,000,000 Euros. Not to mention the 500,000 for each draw and 1,500,000 for each win during the stage. Making it out of the CL group stage is an additional 5.5 million. Insane amounts of money.

Its no wonder many teams in the EPL and Bundesliga see the Europa League as almost a burden. 14th Place in the EPL is worth 8 million pounds this season. Why would any team worry about the Europa Cup when being in the bottom half of the domestic table earns them that much revenue!

It is quite baffling to me to see Stuttgart top the Bundesliga lists year after year in value, revenue and attendance and still languish in the bottom half of the table, or like the past few seasons, the relegation zone!

Winoman repped this.
  5. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't figured that out, either. Stuttgart is not some poor, podunk little town. Economically, Stuttgart is ranked 6th GLOBALLY, and 2nd in GERMANY! :eek:

Every season, when given excuses as to why better players are not procured, I am reminded of Mother Hubbard: one always hears that VfB's (money) cupboards are bare!

Why, for God's sake? :thumbsdown:

6. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Swabians have a reputation for being cheap. There is a joke about how Swabians swim, and the punchline has you making motions like pulling piles of money toward you.

I've seen friends in Stuttgart who drive beautiful brand new Mercedes park a mile or two away from a destination to avoid paying a few Euro parking fee.

As the capital of Swabia, I suspect VfB has Swabian cheapness in its genes.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SMH