FIFPro World XI

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by SiberianThunderT, Feb 22, 2017.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1 SiberianThunderT, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    FIFPro released the "preview results" of its 2016 voting today, naming the 55 players who received the most votes in their respective positions. The actual World XI will be revealed March 8th.
    https://www.fifpro.org/en/?option=com_content&view=article&catid=27&id=6768
    Goalkeepers:
    Defenders:
    Midfielders :
    Attackers :

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am side-eyeing some of those selections. Rapinoe? Really?

holden and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I can't speak to other leagues, but it certainly is odd to me to see some current- or recent-NWSL players listed here who didn't make the 2016 First or Second all-league teams... Considering it's all players voting, I expect FIFPro to be a better representation of performance than the official FIFA World Player award, though I guess there's still some big-name-itis going on.

4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Yeah, this 3000 voting players from 47 countries are mainly from top UEFA clubs and NWSL league so I guess they were voting for familiar faces. Not even one player from a club based outside of Europe and US made the list (well there's Steph Catley - but she played mostly in Orlando Pride in 2016).

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I wonder how much of the women's game female players watch in general. My impression is that they prefer to watch the men's game for educational purposes and pick up things in their own game to improve. When you read interviews or profiles of different players, most of them seem to have a male player as favourite player. It doesn't help that women's club football pretty much is unavailable on television either. Women are not interested in watching other women play football, which is a big reason to why woso struggles as a spectator sport.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It is a better list than the FIFA one, but maybe this is due to the size that allow to get nearly everyone in. But at least proper candidates are not overlooked like Hegerberg.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Sighs I kinda wanted to see Bronze there, but at least Ada and Leonie are there which makes me happy.

9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    It's still just a popularity contest of sorts cuz no votes or candidates were collected from AFC, CAF or CONMEBOL clubs