FIFA World Ranking

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by jonny63, Mar 17, 2006.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if humans insist on using their own thought processes to predict, on average they will be even weaker predictors.

2. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

Dernhelm repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That Twitter user is overlooking the fact that, usually, only the continental finals competitions are considered WWC qualifiers - the continental qualifiers are technically qualifiers to the WWC qualifiers. They're in the same line of progression, yes, but aren't part of the qualifying competition itself.

cpthomas, blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Alright, just because I'm bored at work, let's look at what the ToN has done to the rankings (since I don't think any other nations in the Top 12 or so have had friendlies since the June 22 ranking came out):

K=30 for the entire tournament
    Brazil (1985) 1-3 (1979) Australia :: exp. 0.509/0.491 :: act. 0.089/0.911 :: pts. -13/+13
    USA (2214*) 4-2 (1988) Japan :: exp. 0.786/0.214 :: act. 0.902/0.098 :: pts. +3/-3
    Japan (1985) 1-2 (1973) Brazil :: exp. 0.517/0.483 :: act. 0.160/0.840 :: pts. -11/+11
    USA (2217*) 1-1 (1992) Australia :: exp. 0.785/0.215 :: act. 0.500/0.500 :: pts. -9/+9
    Australia (2001) 2-0 (1974) Japan :: exp. 0.539/0.461 :: act. 0.920/0.080 :: pts. +11/-11
    USA (2208*) 4-1 (1984) Brazil :: exp. 0.784/0.216 :: act. 0.952/0.048 :: pts. +5/-5

Final ratings: USA (2113), Australia (2012), Canada (2009), Brazil (1979), Netherlands (1977), Japan (1963)
    Final rankings: USA (1=), Australia (5^^^), Canada (6v), Brazil (7=), Netherlands (8^), Japan (9vvv)

Interestingly, the rounding here hurts the USA most - all of their wins gave them x.4x... points, while the loss took x.5x... points, so their wins were rounded down while the loss was rounded up. X-D Also, surprisingly large gap opening up between #6 and #7...

cpthomas, Gilmoy and blissett repped this.
  5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    FIFA bases their rankings on results.

If Team A dominates Team B in every category but the final score, and Team B wins, then FIFA rewards Team B in the rankings.

Here is the latest MIFA rankings:

1.) USA
    2.) Australia
    3.) France
    4.) England
    5.) Netherlands
    6.) Canada
    7.) Germany
    8.) Japan
    9.) Brazil
    10.) Denmark
    11.) Sweden
    12.) Spain
    13.) China
    14.) Italy
    15.) Norway
    16.) South Korea
    17.) Iceland
    18.) Switzerland
    19.) North Korea
    20.) New Zealand
    21.) Mexico

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the FIFA rankings are based on the rules of soccer. What a shame.

blissett repped this.
  7. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  8. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    PS, top 20 for NZ? After that Japan defeat, I dunno

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wondered why I suddenly got a flush of notifications about this thread... Then I saw who posted. X-D

To be fair, NZ has been regularly hovering around that 18-to-21 range for the past few years.

blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1060 blissett, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    I have a question for the usual FIFA-rankings-gurus from this thread :notworthy:: Japan NT just won Gold Medal at Asian Games, by beating #17-ranked China in the final by 1-0. In the process, they won all of the games of the competition, including 2-1 wins vs #10-ranked Korea DPR and #15-ranked Korea Republic.

Now, what I want to know is: do I get it right that, since this is not a FIFA-organized tournament, these games won't have any multiplier and everyone of them, including the final, will be basically treated as if it was a normal friendly match? Or Asian Games are in any way taken into account by FIFA rankings? :cautious:

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As the Asian games are not the official AFC championship, I believe those matches will simply count as friendlies for the purposes of the FIFA rankings.

=edit=
    Now, you'll still get the benefit of top-ten friendlies counting for double, so the NK game will help. However, since the group that organizes the Asian games doesn't have a perfect overlap with AFC, that's all the more reason these would not count for anything more than friendlies. That is, even if AFC wanted to, I don't think they could say they have two separate championship tournaments with this being one of them.

blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I thought the same. It's a shame, though, because, in the end, it was a continental competitive environment that could have been aptly compared to a continental championship.

Anyway, I guess Japan should have gained some points from this tournament, although not sure if they can make up for those lost at Tournament of Nations... :coffee:

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1063 SiberianThunderT, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    I mentioned this in the edit to my above comment, but it can't be a continental championship since it doesn't have perfect overlap with AFC. Just think - you could've had the benefit of beating another top-ten side in Australia, but they can't participate! X-D (Guam is another sticking point country, and Kazakhstan is in the other direction.)

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wasn't aware of the Guam situation at all!!! :laugh: But I guess it's relevant. :giggle:

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess that, more than a second continental championship, Asian Games should look like "minor/continental Olympics". Now, I don't remember: do games played at the Olympic women's soccer tournament use to get any kind of multiplier?

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, for one, the Olympics aren't viewed as a second/minor competition anyway - they have the same multiplier as the WWC because they're a senior-level competition available to every country in every confederation.

Two, you still have the issue that the Asian Games don't have a proper overlap with any confederation. You get the same issue with the PanAm Games, the Central American & Carribbean Games, etc.

blissett repped this.
  17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olympic games have the same multiplier as WC games. Same with Olympic qualifiers.

blissett repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Next rankings come out Friday!

As a reminder for what I think the ToN did to the rankings:
    Between Japan winning the Asian games and Netherlands losing a WWCQ match to Norway, NED will definitely take a drop (whether it's to 9, 10, or 11 depends on the increases from DPK ad SWE) while JPN should climb to 8 or maybe even bump BRA for 7.

blissett repped this.
  19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1069 hotjam2, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Yay, Aussie power! but should of been moved to #5. not that impressed with Canada, why did France fall below England?(guessing being inactive has it's price)
    42673214_10212054244091724_1294081738003185664_o.jpg

blissett repped this.
  20. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ran...ws=matildas-on-the-march-as-usa-stay-top.html

Leader

USA (unchanged)

Moves into the top ten
    Sweden (9th, up 2)

Moves out of the top ten
    Korea DPR (11th, down 1)

Matches played in total

Most matches played
    Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda (both 9)

Biggest move by points
    Uganda (up 44)

Biggest move by ranks
    Jamaica (64th, up 7)

Biggest drop by points
    Denmark (down 39)

Biggest drop by ranks
    Haiti (67th, down 5)

Newly ranked teams (re-entries unless otherwise stated)
    Panama, Fiji, Guam, El Salvador, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Nicaragua, FYR Macedonia, American Samoa, Rwanda

Teams no longer ranked due to prolonged inactivity
    Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan

blissett repped this.
  21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    147 nations is the most in the FIFA rankings. I expect that number to go up with the December rankings as OFC continues their qualifiers and should see Papua New Guinea, Tonga, New Caledonia, Tahiti, Cook Islands & Samoa reentering. Also, Mongolia, Macau, Bangladesh & Lebanon should also be in the Dec. rankings with AFC Olympic qualifiers in November.

blissett repped this.
  22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not in the sense you're thinking of. Being inactive doesn't affect a team's rating at all, and being inactive only directly affects ranking if a team hasn't played a match in 18+ months. Also, France wasn't inactive. They earned a point from a 4-0 drubbing of Mexico. However, England earned 8pts from their two WWCQ wins. (Which, to be fair, is a lot fewer points than I might expect from two multi-goal away wins, but their rating was already so much higher than Wales' or KZH's that it must be nearly impossible for them to earn points anyway.)
    I didn't factor CAN's win over BRA into my previous predicitions, so that's why CAN is still at #5 and AUS only rose to #6. But that's also why BRA fell below JPN.

Interesting to see ESP within striking distance of DPK! I kinda want to see them drawn into the same WWC group now. X-D

It's been kinda funny watching ranks 7-11 in the past year or two... With the rise of NED, we now essentially have 11 "top ten" teams, and JPN/SWE/NED/DPK have all been shuffling around to avoid who's the unlucky #11. Meanwhile, Spain has just patiently been establishing itself as the solid #12 team. X-D

blissett repped this.
  23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll have to wait a few years for that to happen, since Korea DPR didn't qualify.

blissett repped this.
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    lol I totally forgot about that X-D

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If I quote this post from the World Cup forum, it's because I'd like to know what are the chances that Japan manages to catch up with some of the top 6 team in time for beeing seeded in the WWC draw.
    There are no big tournaments in the next months, but Nadeshiko Japan have a friendly match vs Norway scheduled at home for 11th of November: not sure if they plan to play any other matches in this window. I hope the Norway match can be a win, although Takakura mentioned that she want to experiment "many" players from the U-20 World Cup winning team and I am not sure how they will measure up with Norwegian seniors. Anyway, even with a win, I am not sure how many points Japan FIFA could possiblly get from an home match vs a team that's 6 position behind them.

On the other hand, we have Australia. They just lost by 2-0 to France two days ago, but they shouldn't have lost much from that clash, since France were two positions ahead of them and I guess a win at home by them was more or less expected. They will play England in London in a pair of days and Chile at home (twice) in November, but since it's in Australia and vs a #39th-ranked team, I don't think these last matches will be very meaningful (unless Australia lays an egg and draws one of them, that could severly damage them).

So, all in all, what chances Japan realistically have to leapfrog Australia (or any other team for that matters: Canada should comfortably advance to WWC in CONCACAF qualifier that's currently underway and I don't see them drop many points there, if any).