FIFA World Cup 2018 - Round of 16: Argentina vs. France - June 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. Higuain still on the team at this point already makes me question a sanity of any man that is in charge.

Icardi missed 1-2 chances, Sampa think he's not ready for major tournament. Higuain missed 1 million chances in countless tournaments, he'll always have his place on the NT.

afar repped this.
  2. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would have picked Asascibar without any doubt immediately and brought Masche as part of my coaching team. He's pretty smart and has learnt a lot from his former managers and in his role on the pitch reads the game. He would have been a link for me to get the players on my side and instill in them what it means to wear that shirt. This shirt which has so much history and pride attached to it.

3. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Icardis misses weren't even that bad. One was a save if I recall. And he indirectly helped with a goal. His movement is world class, he is very fit and needs 2 men on him at all times.

soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man....3.5/10 is being generous...From his squad selection to his line-ups, he has been a laughing stock.

soul24rage repped this.
  5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It shouldnt be even matter how many times he misses since Higuain hasnt score since 2016 against Peru and he's still has his place at WC squad.

6. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    It's the personal drama with Icardi. IMO he has the game and personality that we needed. Aguero is the superior player but doesn't complement Messi as well and Higuaín has the mental baggage and plus is a bit past it.
    Still, it was our defense.

7. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I honestly hope and keep flip flopping that he resigns and maybe the press in Argentina will hound him out. Not that I like the Argentine tabloid press. They as much as anyone else are involved in getting club managers sacked and creating a situation in which managers cannot develop properly and managers don't want to try young players. Not to mention the stupid domestic structure.

I don't care if Racing's hexa juveniles won the title. That is not important journalists. What is important is developing pibes who are mentally tough, are technically proficient and who have a developed footballing intelligence that means they make the right decisions in game which comes partly through smart coaching and mainly by playing and learning from your errors. Physique can be taught later in the gym.

What is the use of passion too if you cannot control the ball or employ the right tactics. Pointless. But all these journalists. Player X lacks passion ? What do you mean ? Does this passion mean he will play better if he still does not understand his position or lacks the technical ability and flair to make a difference.

afar, soul24rage, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  8. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Knowing the state of our defence as I said and many others it should have been a Sabellista approach. We have the attack to hit on the counter. What is more baffling is we go 2-1 up with some luck and the manager sticks to the same idea.

Bad generals stick to the same plan. The best generals in history have disciplined troops that can change plan. So go away Sampaoli. You have been terrible albeit part of it is the AFA's fault.

9. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Easily the worst of all time. He gets a slight reprieve for not having more matches.
    1. Poor selection.
    2. Terrible system considering the personnel he chose.
    3. Wrong formation for opponent (Iceland v Croatia).
    4. Panic (Croatia).
    5. Lost players respect (post Croatia).
    6. Terrible tactics (high line v France).
    7. Failure to admit wrong (no change at halftime v France).
    8. Failure to adjust to game (our tactics after going up 2-1).

I think he could have success with a completely fresh set of players tailor made for his one system.

afar, soul24rage and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  10. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    makes you wonder what the hell they were doing the whole 3 weeks before the WC started..

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  11. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Yes, the defensive line was so disorganized.

Still, I wonder with young physical players and using a Dybala-Icardi spearhead, Sampanico might be able to find success using his Chile tactics.

12. Amuseddaysleeper

Jul 8, 2014
    What's this say in english?

13. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Spain looking totally unimpressive. I kind of like Spain but if they, Portugal, and Germany all crash out, it makes the pill easier to swallow for us. Go russia. :D

14. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Like I said, 0/10 for me...please get rid of him.

Gallardo or any tactical astute manager, please.

15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That our midfield lacked the pace to compete due to their age and that one of the CB's should have stuck to Mbappe while the other reads any situations coming off him. We had two reactive defenders again in defence not one who can read the passage of play. It was no surprise to see Rojo lose his position. We should have had a 2 in there like a Garay or Pezzella. We normally do.

charlie15 repped this.
  16. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Also, please do not misuse friendlies. Friendlies are important...use them for continuity.

Why are we playing Guatemala?!??

17. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Those that we could afford should Potatohead as he is referred too here by irate City fans displeased that Kun was hardly played are:

Schelotto/ Dabove/ Gareca/ Coudet/ Rolan/ Heinze/ Berizzo

The majority of whom favour a tight defence and countering system but do integrate flair.

charlie15 and afar repped this.
  18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Maybe not as Guatemala are hardly flush with cash. Must be some sort of obligation as did we not miss a friendly against them. Besides there is a lot of local support for the seleccion over there.

johnbarley2 repped this.
  19. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Great....right now, we need a tight defense and countering system. Hire any one of them, who would be willing to come.

I have a fear that Sampaoli will keep on trying to hammer his system on us...it will be a catastrophe even with new players.

There is a reason why Uruguay brings on players like Nando and Carlos Sanchez, and still wins — because they play in a system adapted to today’s times.

20. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    I watched the match v Croatia at a bar in Guatemala. Everyone was for Argentina. I ended up downing 4 rums.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  21. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How many afterwards ? :p You would need something strong to obliterate the nightmare that game was.

22. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Nah, I had work the next day. Went to see some Mayan ruins instead.
    The very popular commentator on the Guatemalan network was from Argentina. Funny how we have so many respected commenators and managers everywhere.

locoxriver and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  23. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Crazy!!! Russia just beat Spain. Imagine how "easy" it would´ve been to reach semi or even final if Argentina won their group. This loss against france annoys me for each day that passes by

Buffonfan and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  24. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes. And I don't like France. I want to see them get knock out by Uruguay in the next match. I want France out of this WCup.

I'm praying Cavani leg is okay. I can see Uruguay beat France in the next match, with how Uruguay is, I don't see why it not posible.

If France make it, then I want to see Croatia knock them out.

I rather have a team that never win a WC before win the trophy this time, any team, just not France. Dislike them.

25. Ashwanth

Ashwanth Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    May 16, 2018
    Spain done, wow we just had to top our group and we could have reached finals easily even with sampa as our coach.... messi just had to get his penalty right and armani to have played against croatia..... what a great wcup this is turning out to be.... hoping mexico prevail too.... and uruaguay win it.... why doesn't someone kidnap sampa.... worst things have happen in colombia arg are so forgiving the reason why sampa has not retired still.... the idot will keep licking messi a** and survive till the next wcup.... and hope messi realizes his skill has come down and plays at the right position allowing dybala and icardi to play