FIFA World Cup 2018 - Round of 16: Argentina vs. France - June 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 26, 2018.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Argentina vs France

Argentina [​IMG] Match 49 [​IMG] France
    30 June 2018
    14:00 UTC+3 (7:00 AM PST / 10:00 AM EST)

[​IMG]

Kazan Arena, Kazan (42,873 Capacity)

---------------------------------​

Head-to-Head Statistics:

- Matches Played: 11
    - 6 Argentina wins, 3 draws, 2 France wins
    - In World Cups: 2 Argentina wins (1930: 1-0, 1978: 2-1)

The first time Argentina and France met was actually at the first ever 1930 FIFA World Cup. Argentina won said match 1-0 with a goal by the historic Luis Monti, a result which ended up being very important for Argentina to advance from Group 1 (at the time only one team made it out of each group).

The two wouldn't face each other again at a WC for nearly five decades, until they finally clashed again in Group 1 of the 1978 FIFA World Cup. Argentina won that match 2-1 with goals by Daniel Passarella (PK) and Leopoldo Luque (Platini scored for the French side), in what turned out to be another decisive win: if Argentina had tied or lost this match, France would have advanced from the group stage instead and Argentina wouldn't have lifted their first World Cup trophy that year.

In 2007, Argentina defeated France 1-0 in a friendly match in their home, with this goal by Javier Saviola:

The most recent encounter between the two took place in 2009 in a friendly match played in Marseille, which Argentina won 2-0 with goals by Jonas Gutierrez and Lionel Messi. From those present, only Mascherano, Messi, Aguero, and Di Maria remain on the team. Fun fact: Emiliano Papa was in Argentina's starting XI that night.

France's Form:

- Arriving to R16 after topping Group C, undefeated and having conceded only one goal. In the process, they beat Australia (2-1), Peru (1-0), and tied their final game (already qualified) with Denmark (0-0).

- Topped Group A of the UEFA World Cup Qualifiers, being partially responsible for the Netherlands non-participation in this year's World Cup. In the process, they raked up 7 wins, 2 ties, and 1 loss (to Sweden)

- Were the favorites to win the 2016 European Championship, which they lost in the final game to Portugal in extra time. However, they did play some excellent football at times, eliminating Germany in Semifinals and our group stage rivals Iceland in the Quarter Finals.

- 2018: In March, they lost 3-2 in a friendly to Colombia after being up 2-0 by the 26th minute. After that, they notched up three friendly match wins vs. Russia, Ireland, and Italy, before tying 1-1 with the United States in their final pre-WC game

RacingGirl and soul24rage repped this.
  2. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Worth noting: Otamendi, Mercado, Banega, Mascherano, Acuna, and Messi all arrive with one yellow card to their names, and, should they be shown a yellow vs. France, will miss a hypothetical Quarterfinal match-up vs. Portugal/Uruguay.

3. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It must be said that the victory vs Nigeria has/should give this team a new life. Not only has that result took the pressure off them, but it also gave them the confidence and the mentality that they can score at the end of the game. I don't expect the team to do as badly as they did against Croatia and will give France a good fight.

Since a lot of people are expecting France to beat Argentina, this will take the pressure off the team more. I would play the same team that played vs Nigeria but just take Higuain off around the 70th minute. I can't see him mess up a good chance like he did at the end of the game today. I believe that the guys will give a competent performance and with the little magician on the pitch, I'm confident we can win. Argentina 2-1 France

upload_2018-6-26_19-22-1.png

Pipiolo, ShortyMac, RacingGirl and 4 others repped this.
  4. Amuseddaysleeper

Jul 8, 2014
    Just seeing this thread even exist is amazing in itself :)

This is probably the first match since the World Cup Final where Argentina are the underdogs.

Really hope Aguero can find his way back into the starting lineup along with Pavon.

Hoping for a great game!

Rattlehead repped this.
  5. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I expect Argentina to winafter the suffering and all they’ve been through. Their tought group journey brought out their character.

Pipiolo and Rattlehead repped this.
  6. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd play Acuña for Di María but i'm biased. Pavón also needs to start a game. But against France we need to be extra cautious...

Masche, let's be honest, played like crap, but how and who would you sub him for?

cigar_city repped this.
  7. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think, or at least I'm hoping, being massive underdogs will take the pressure of the team and they will be more relaxed about this game. There is a lot of expectation on France, and as we know only to well that is not an easy burden to bare.

8. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Team spirit looks pretty good. Momentum is definitely on our side. :thumbsup:

1011785396278226945 is not a valid tweet id

Burr repped this.
  9. NussMasri

NussMasri Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Good info, when do they reset?

10. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Game on guys

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And last time France was on WC final, they also lost. Recently, they also lost Euro final at home. Both teams certainly has quite lots of preasure although based recent form France certainly an overwhelming favorite.

locoxriver repped this.
  12. mistert06

mistert06 Member

Jul 4, 2006
    after the quarters

13. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Please don't mention Acuna Matata or salvio ever again.
    Argentina will win.

14. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    What!? Di Maria was a beast on counters and arguebly the team’s best outlet. We all saw how different he looked playing as a midfielder carrying the ball in counters than the usual have him touching the sideline and take on two to three defenders at a time.

Rattlehead repped this.
  15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Still cant believe we're here, 1 point in first game, 0 point in second game, Nigeria gift penalty and Higuain pulling his magic as usual.. we're somehow still alive.

tatoRMN and RacingGirl repped this.
  16. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's got this!
    world on his shoulders.jpg

soul24rage, cigar_city, Pipiolo and 2 others repped this.
  17. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How is the current relation with team and sampaoli...?
    IF there any difference , it is the time to sort it out , with out support from coaching staff , we cant go further.

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Leo carries the nation, but yesterday Rojo carried him, literally :cool:

RacingGirl repped this.
  20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I get the feeling the midget is just there as a facade, he’s not really running the team anymore.

Vamos Argentina!!

21. blu201810

blu201810 New Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Jun 27, 2018
    More worried about the team's stamina if we have to go extra time vs France, after all they are 4 years older compared to the last WC...So guys, please, beat France in 90 mins...

22. Prit Javier

Prit Javier Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    May 9, 2018
    We dont have a like for like replacement for Mascherano. Biglia is dogshit and should never have been taken! Maybe Kranevitter or Gago would have been a better pick.....

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not easy but yea.. you could see how tired Di Maria and Mess in Nigeria game. This is why I think we only able to dominate the first half in every game. But we have the likes of Lo Celso, Pavon and Dybala when needed and Rojo is actually only 28, not exactly an old player.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No more Enzo Perez please.

Armani
    Mercado - Otamendi - Rojo - Tagliafico
    Mascherano - Banega - Lo Celso - DiMaria
    Messi - Dybala

Leon12 repped this.
  25. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I love Masch as much as I love Messi, but he had a really poor game yesterday, and at his age expecting him to play so many games in such a short space if time is pushing it a bit. Personally I think France have the most talented squad at the world cup, in fact the players they didn't take are pretty impressive in itself. But for all there talent they appear less than the sum of their parts. They haven't clicked as a team yet, just done enough to get through. Lets hope they don't click when they play us

Prit Javier repped this.