FIFA World Cup 2018 Preparation [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by GoYoungrokba, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The majority are open arms to the idea of Hiddink taking charge of the KNT again whilst the others would rather him not ruin his 2002 WC image. Even if we were to hit the group stage exit if Hiddink were to take charge, I don't see much criticisms flowing out towards him.

2. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    OK, but in your opinion, would there be a greater public pressure on the team to qualify from the groups, if Hiddink was appointed?

3. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #28 Seol Korea, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    I can't speak for the all of the people, but from what I've read, many would be content with even a round of 16 finish, but then again they are netizens after all. IMO, I wouldn't bank my money on Shin Tae-yong at the WC, and the public pressure on Hiddink will be there but not greater than it was before the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

Hodori repped this.
  4. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    In terms of results, a victory and a draw could do it, and Hiddink can squeeze those performances out from the team. You did get that in 2010 IIRC, so the faith must exist.

Seol Korea repped this.
  5. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Correct, and everyone is far too exhausted from the many years of depressing performances and results of the KNT (Choi Kang-hee and Shitlike era) that all they want is to see the KNT play more refreshingly again.

DHMGKorea repped this.
  6. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Refreshing is a dangerous word. Revolutionary new tactics could backfire. Effective organization and effort from the players should be enough. I'd be happy to see Korea playing like Iran, and getting those 4 points, and then beating someone in the KO rounds. Ugly football is legitimate- it just needs to work.

7. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Hiddink is smart, he won't join so he doesn't ruin his reputation.

8. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well of course it could and would backfire, but imo I am not expecting us to play like how we did in 2002 again nor like Germany or Barcelona, rather something close to how we played in 2010/Counter-attacking football.

9. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's already made up his mind.

10. doraemon

doraemon Member+

Jan 9, 2010
    Personally, I don't think he really gives a shit about his reputation at this point.

11. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    That sounds reasonable, but then the right description in my opinion is: ˝tried and successfully tested˝. Set pieces were important back then, so Yeom Ki-Hun must be called up, and extra effort should be put into training set pieces.

12. aeh1991

aeh1991 Member+

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Augsburg
    It's not only about getting better or having a better manager. It's about the other things.
    The majority of the fans have turned their back on the KNT. The KFA is standing before a serious decision. Sticking to STY with all power might be a dangerous plan, which could backfire, especially now. The standing of the KNT/KFA has reached the bottom. Not only Kim Young Gwons (stupid and) unfortunate comment, STY's excuses and even celebrating after having drawn 2 games (and apparently while the other game is still running). The fans are on rage right now, the KFA just doesn't seem to realize it.
    Hiring Hiddink could be a tactically clever move by the KFA. If Hiddink fails, the fans can't really criticize KFA for hiring him. They'd blame Stielike more than the KFA itself.
    On the other hand, if STY loses 3 games, they won't be able to use him as a shield like they did with Stielike. The backfire would be huge. It wouldn't help his reputation nor the KFA's.
    Hiddink would also bring media power with him as well. The potential of KFA earning money through commercials and promotions would be on a different level, compared to STY. Think of what HMB did in 2014. Hiddink is a legend, a star.
    He would literally unite the fans again and bring us a huge power of motivation that lacked in the last years.
    That would also impact the KNT. The key players (esp SHM, KSY, KJC, etc) lack motivation. It's absolutely visible.
    I don't know if he would improve our KNT on sport's level tbh. But I am sure that he would make a much more confident, less coward, very motivated team out of the actual squad.

13. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Korean and Croatian football have so much in common. I guess it's not just the matching jersey colors. In any case, I can definitely see people salivating over the image of Hiddink orchestrating the team and making life miserable for those unfortunate enough to be drawn together with South Korea in the WC. i love surprise packages in big competitions, and with a proper manager, Korea could do a Costa Rica, maybe.

Seol Korea repped this.
  14. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hiddink joining KNT isn't going to damage his reputation. Maybe among Korean supporters but not around the world.

Someone like Hiddink can absolutely maximize a player like Ki and perhaps maybe even Son.

Anyone cautiously optimistic about the Jeonbuk kid, Kim Min-Jae? Thought he looked solid in his first two international caps.

jessypjs and aeh1991 repped this.
  15. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Bro, Croatia are infinitely better than Korea. Don't diss your Croatian NT like that.

16. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It turns out that it wasn't Jan Roelfs, but non other than Hiddink's partner Noh Je-ho of Hiddink Dream Field.

17. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Players are better, but the chemistry isn't there. Manager is a stooge of a known crime boss who runs the CFA through the former legend Davor Šuker. Players have been put into the roster just so the crime boss can earn more money on their transfer. I still root for the team because I'm a patriot, but many peopke cheered at yesterday's defeat to Turkey.

And there is certainly one Korean player who would have a spot in a properly led Croatian NT. Yeom Ki-Hun. Experience, skill and leadership. Also, set piece takers are at a premium.

18. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Here's the conversation with President Noh Je-ho:

-히딩크 감독이 대표팀을 맡고 싶다는 게 무슨 소리인가.

“몇몇 기사에 나온 거 그대로다.”

-정확히 말해 달라.

“지난 6월 히딩크 감독이 컨페더레이션스컵(6.17~7.2) 해설을 위해 러시아에 갔을 때 내가 동행했다. 오래 전부터 한국대표팀의 최종예선 경기를 주의 깊게 지켜보셨다. 그러면서 한국 축구를 위해 봉사하고 싶다는 말씀을 여러 차례 하셨다.”

-그 봉사가 대표팀 감독직을 말하는 건가.

“그렇다”

-그럼 당시 대한축구협회와 접촉을 했나.

“그럴 수가 없었다. 그 때는 우리가 본선을 확정 짓지 않은 상황이었다. 히딩크 감독이 두 경기 후 탈락할 수도 있는 대표팀을 맡을 수는 없는 것 아닌가.”

-그렇다면 본선이 확정된 지금은 축구협회에 제안을 해볼 생각인가.

“기사가 이렇게 나오고 있으니 축구협회도 생각해보지 않겠나. 축구협괴 고위 관계자들이 곧 타슈켄트에서 들어온다고 하니 무슨 이야기가 있지 않겠나.”

-신태용 감독이 어려운 시기 대표팀을 맡아 본선행을 이끌었는데.

나도 개인적으로 신태용 감독을 높이 평가하고 좋아한다. 하지만 지금은 뭐가 한국 축구를 위하는 길인지 생각해볼 필요가 있지 않나. 우리는 비슷한 상황에서 (경험이 적은) 홍명보 감독을 잃지 않았나. 신태용 감독도 그렇게 잃어서는 안 되는 것 아닌가. 축구협회가 지금 입장을 그대로 고수한다면 어쩔 수는 없다. 히딩크 감독이 사령탑 자리가 없어서 구걸하는 것도 아니고.

-월드컵 진출이 확정된 뒤 그럼 히딩크 감독과 통화를 해봤나.

“잠시 후 통화하기로 해다. 그런데 내 말이 맞다. 감독님 입장에는 변함없다. 내가 감독님 매니저 역할도 하고 있다. 최근에도 여러 번 같은 이야기를 하셨다.”

-히딩크 감독은 지금 어디에 있나.

“네덜란드에 있다.”

DHMGKorea and aeh1991 repped this.
  19. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    These retards asking Hiddink to lead the team in 2018 are making me sick. We dont have enough time to change the team drastically till 2018.. and.. people have very high expectations for Hiddink.. I bet my balls on that they will criticize Hiddink as soon as we lose one single match. Unless he gets his tenure till 2022, I am against bringing him back as I know how Koreans change a hero to a public enemy.

20. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    We need Hiddink. If STY were smart, he would step down from the poison chalice leading the KNT to a WC out of self-preservation when someone of Hiddink's stature offers to take the job. STY can go get his UEFA coaching licenses, serve as an assistant in Europe and get back to managing a club until the next WC cycle (after he's gained requisite experiences).

For Hiddink, this is the perfect time to take over the KNT. None of the wild expectations of WC06 lacking talent. None of the pressures of a talented squad in WC10. None of the false pretenses of a soft squad in WC14.

We've hit rock bottom. There are no expectations for this squad. Yet there is more talent in this squad than in the WC10 and WC14 squads. Even if Hiddink manages to make us play coherently, he will exit as a hero. Imagine if we got out of the group? After Turkey and Holland, he may also want to face a media that will not be so hostile to him...

21. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I disagree on expectations. And I disagree on the amount of time that is needed to change things. Look how fast Lippi and van Marwick have changed things with squads of much inferior quality than ours.

22. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    There is a very nice option of making STY the Olympic coach 2020 and the top assistant coach for the NT and a guaranteed NT head coach after 2022(possibly earlier). The same salary.
    STY is in his 40's and the prospect of ruining his career at this moment should daunt most men but he is a hot-head who thinks very highly of himself so he would not accept it.

23. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Right on the mark.

Seol Korea repped this.
  24. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    In 2022, Korea have KSY KJC LCY near the end of their career but not too old to play, SHM near the end of his prime but probably still vigorous, KimMinjae, LSW PSH in the middle of their prime, Lee KangIn the rising young star if he is as good as people claim...
    On paper at least Korea have a bright future in 2022. But people said the same thing about 2018 so I don't know. I don't think it is wise to make STY another HMB. STY, please be reasonable, you are not a soccer super-genius or anything like that.

25. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    Going overboard on youth players now is dangerous. Let them come into the team over a few years. In fact, a crucial player for the team will be 35 next year, if I'm not mistaken? Experience was something Korea lacked vs. Uzbekistan in the first half. Everything was chaotic. Yeom Ki-Hun took charge immediately, and set about organizing attacks so efficiently.