FIFA Women’s Club World Cup

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by FootballAmator, Feb 10, 2015.

1. FootballAmator

Aug 16, 2014
  2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We already have that and it is called UEFA Women's Champions League. Not much of a proposal for the development of women's footy. Women's footy needs development at the grassroots level. This is just another way for FIFA to generate even more money via tv and sponsor rights etc.

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    And they say the U.S. Fans are the ego-centric ones

cpthomas, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    wow!

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I welcome this idea, obviously they choose 2017 because the International Calendar is not finalised yet. They will need to find at least a free week in a very congested schedule for European teams. Also it will be interesting to see the format ie 8 teams more or less ?

6. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    More than eight? How? Can't see it happen for now. They have Host, uefa, conmebol. Maybe asia will have a Continental by that time. That's four. Maybe they get eight by just copying the iwcc and invite nwsl, australia plus whatever league Champions.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Men's CWC is only 7 clubs, so I'd be shocked in the women's goes to 8 right off the bat. That said, I do expect them to be a bit lenient with who "qualifies" until more formal continental competitions form.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You think FIFA is actually going to be making money on this? LOL
    The only thing FIFA makes money on is the men's WC. That funds everything else FIFA does. (Well, that and bribes, but that's a whole different matter.)
    Also, this is definitely for development. Just look at the precedent set by UEFA: most countries didn't have formal leagues before the UWCL was formed, just cup competitions. The prospect of UWCL incentivized nations to strengthen their women's programs.
    INAC Kobe and Sao Jose beg to differ, and I'm sure NWSL clubs would like to have their say too.

blissett repped this.
  9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Im more of anti-FIFA fan than ego-centric. Let's make an interconfederation final between the CL winner and Concacaf for charity and Im fine with it.
    Yes, I firmly believe that.

It is for development of a few selected teams that field players who face similiar competition in CL or WC anyways.

Maybe. But it is highly likely that the CL winner smashes whover gets to play in the final against them.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    And there's a good chance there are only 3-4 legit world cup winners doesn't mean the field should be limited to 4 or don't have the tournament at all.

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I actually do expect the field to be much larger. Probably 2 from every confederation. If the goal is to foster development, it would make sense to expand the fields or else you will see the same sides every year.

blissett repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    And is that any different than the current men's CWC, where it's clear the winner is UEFA or CONMEBOL, no matter who qualifies from the other confeds?
    And you completely missed my point. I wasn't talking about the development of players who actually make it to the CWC. My point with citing what happened in UEFA is that, if you create a high-level tournament that teams need to qualify for, and some confederations have weak qualification processes, you just incentivized those confederations to buff up their qualification process (e.g. actually have a national league instead of just a national cup, or invest in existing development so the league winners are stronger overall) so they do better in the new competition.

blissett repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Really? Two clubs from each confed will be a logistical nightmare...

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Potentially :) but not impossible.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    10 teams would mean a lot of games to be played : preliminary the QF SF and final. Need 2 weeks in the calendar

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    2 from each confed would be 12: CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, UEFA, CAF, AFC, OFC
    And then there's the host nation slot to worry about too...

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    12 of course. Same format as 10 though. Preliminary etc....

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    smashes?

doesn't it depend on who actually ends up against them in the final?

19. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #19 JanBalk, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    You miss the point, a lot of UEFA nations got their act togetehr and formed leagues after the WCL was started (or it predecesor was), just to particpate or to be able to surviv a round or two with no chance at all to win it.

Starting a Word Cup will get more of the Confederations to start Continental Cups wich should get more countries to run leagues. This may not work as well as hoped since the only two Confederations with well established brands to run the Cup's under alreday is doing so (UEFA and CONMEBOL), so the lure of sending team to the other Continental Cups may not be strong enough for it work in the other Confederations but is is worth a try.

And it is a win-win situation for UEFA either way, I mean it will be just like the men's cup either a European team wins and that will prove UEFA Champions League is the best or they don't and it will be since the UEFA team just treat it as a vaction trip they get as a reward for winning the important one=Champions League. ;)

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  20. FootballAmator

Aug 16, 2014

http://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/EN/Broschueren/2012/fifa_wm.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

21. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    We may hear something on this soon enough. An actual FIFA Women's Club World Cup.
    But one thing is for sure, the UEFA leagues are getting quite good, as this video conclusively illustrates.
    NWSL is a fast paced game, but in the German, French, and Swedish leagues, the technical play is very stellar.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering the radio silence on the prospect of a WCWC (and the fact that most continents are similarly silent on the prospect of creating their own club championships) I highly doubt an official WCWC is coming this year and probably not next year either.

However, I'm home sick for the day, and apparently being sick gives me Movement-level-crazy ideas. Keep reading at your own risk.

===

I had been reading a thread over in the NWSL forum about what could make a league claim to be "the best league". I eventually got to the idea of "what if the UWCL, as an experiment one year, lets in two NWSL clubs in the same way the men's Copa Libertadores lets in three Mexican clubs"? But I hung up on the question of when to let them in... no way the group stage would work, the R32 and R16 just don't sound like good timing for NWSL, and the QFs are obviously too late. (Ideally, I think the UWCL should eventually restructure so there's more preliminary competition and the knockouts begin in the spring, but I digress.)

That's when the crazy started - one international competition in early spring hosted in the US w/o UEFA clubs, then a second capstone international competition in the late spring/early summer hosted in Europe.

Early spring - the "International Invitational"
    8 clubs - 2 NWSL (Shield & Champion, ends previous Oct.), 2 W-League clubs (Premier & Champion, ends Jan.), 2 L. League clubs (League & Empress Cup champions, ends previous Nov.), 2 CONMEBOL teams (CLF winner & runner-up, ends previous Dec.)
    2 groups of 4, with the winner of each group meeting to play a final
    [May interfere with the March tournament season, but can probably be worked around if place in late March]

Late spring - the "International Cup"
    Starts with 1 group of 4 - the 2 "International Invitational" finalists + the two losing UWCL semifinalists (e.g. give them a chance at another title)
    Winner of this group plays the Cup match against the UWCL winner (UWCL losing finalist not here as they had their chance at that title)

That's my rambling. Not an official WCWC, but definitely a thorough international competition which I *think* is feasible for most leagues' schedules. Feel free to ignore!

gricio61, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  23. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    It's quite nice an idea. But on the other hand the infrastructre is allready in place with men's CWC in Japan, Why not use it? FIFA should simply invite chosen women clubs and add one more match each day. Wouldn't that be something? - two games each day on the same venue, ie. first women Reign vs. Lyon and 3 hours later men Real M. vs Kashima A. It would be very good advertisement of WoSo as well.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, Empress' Cup's final used to be played the 1st of January, and it's now normally played around Christmas (so December not November); you possibly confused Empress' Cup with Nadeshiko League Cup, a different competition that ends by Semptember/October and it's played in-between the two legs of the league.

Anyway, interesting plan: you should be at home ill more often! :thumbsup:

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's possible, bust since that would be inviting clubs instead of having them qualify through a direct continental championship, I know many people (probably some within FIFA) wouldn't recognize it as an official CWC. While I'm personally not against simply having invites into an official competition, I thought up this side thing to tide over until official continental competitions were founded and a CWC would have truly firm foundation - i.e. continuing in the spirit of the Mobcast cup until a truly official thing forms.

Also, having them on the exact same schedule wouldn't really work since that's the exact same time the Copa Liberatores Femenina is occurring.
    Actually I was just basing that date on the fact that I know last year the pro-rel playoffs were the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November, so I had assumed the league ended the first week of November and the Cup ended before the league. Bad assumptions, I guess! Didn't know there was a second Cup available.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.