FIFA U-20 World Cup: Korea Republic 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by BocaFan, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    WTF? They played the wrong anthem again? They played the Chilean anthem instead of the Uruguayan one! AGAIN! Same thing as in the Copa America Centenario! Coincidence? I think not...

Well, I guess it's the only way Chile can get close to a Youth World Cup. ;)

SiempreCrema repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Or just have the tournament played in summer (not during the UEFA club season).

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Was it the exact same mixup in the Centenario? i.e. Chilean anthem played for Uruguay?

At least they recognized their mistake this time and played the Uruguayan anthem after the Japanese one today. Delayed kick-off by a couple of minutes.

4. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada

Your right that European teams do not bring their best players because for the most part, they don't value the tourney (though examples like France in '13 belie that), however you're wrong in your latter point. If international sides have young players at European clubs that either by stance, or by situation (major youth championships with Schalke this year played a role in the US missing 3 of it's top 5 players) aren't available, it can and will happen to any side. The key component is whether the nation has players playing at Euro clubs instead of domestically. Over the past two U-20 tournaments the US has been missing it's top forwards both times because of the actions of the actions of the clubs that own said players contracts. This issue can effect anyone if a given international side has key players based in Europe.

5. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Agree w/that although apparently the monsoon season had something to do with it? I don't understand why the U-17 tourney is in October as well. It should be in the summer or if south of the equator, during the winter break. Winter or Summer Break, period, don't get why they refuse to understand this?!?!

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm assuming its because India is too hot in June-August. Its also less of an issue though with the U-17 World Cup since none of those players are all that important yet for their clubs.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Zambia winning the U20 African Championship was no fluke. They have typical Zambian flair plus a couple of excellent finishers. Zambia in general tends to perform better than most Southern African team, because they have the flair plus team structure and composed finishers.

Patson Daka could be Zambia's biggest star since Kalusha Bwalya. I know for fact this guy is u20.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  8. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Oh good! I think we should praise the Zambian Federation for bringing a U20 player to a U20 tournament. That's so commendable!

:rolleyes:

unclesox, Nani_17 and BocaFan repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    USA takes control of their Group by beating Senegal.

Josh Sargent is solid.:thumbsup:

Revolt repped this.
  10. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Great win for the US. Gutting out this great result should so wonders for their confidence. Tough, tough game. I'm impressed.
    And Saudi Arabia beat Ecuador? Lol
    This group turned out to be great.!

LouisianaViking07/09, Revolt and zahzah repped this.
  11. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Anybody have a link to that GIF of Korea knocking out Argentina and Maradona celebrating being drawn with Korea?

Supposedly on Reddit but I didn't find the one that put the clips together.

Anyway, awesomeness.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Josh Sargent is the Real Deal for us

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, at least Argentina rectified the goal difference issue. Big time! Now Argentina need two slices of luck from the following 4 groups:

Group C: If Zambia get at least a draw against Costa Rica, the third place team will be below Argentina. Both CR and Portugal winning would also work.

Group D: Anything but a draw between Italy and Japan would be good.

Group E: A draw or win by Honduras over Viet Nam would be good (but HON looks like crap)

Group F: Need a US win over Saudi Arabia.

Normally there would be a good chance for all 4 of those things to happen. But of course teams might be a bit cheeky (For e.g. US and Saudi Arabia might play ultra-conservative since a draw is good for both. Same for Italy and Japan)

14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm not the one constantly putting African players ages in doubt. Somehow despite widespread age-cheating in South America, including cheating at this event, you don't get the same scrutiny there...

15. Persian Empire

Jan 26, 2016
    California
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  16. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    The last age cheat I remember in SA was Max Barrios. Peruvian who was actually 25 years old and an Ecuadorian. Aside from him there haven't been many examples.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Despite the loss Zambia look like bona fide title challengers. Costa Rica with a miracle to win this after being so thoroughly outplayed in the second half. Zambia are a true joy to watch too.

Meanwhile chances are looking slim for Argentina. Two teams already ahead of them, so now they need two of the other third placed teams to finish behind them...

19. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow what a finish in group C. Iran gives up a very unfortunate own goal. Zambia scores, which would have bumped Costa Rica below Iran, but is ruled offside with video replay. Both within the last minutes of the games.

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 5.00.18 AM.png

Anyways, here are some group advancing odds for the remaining groups (based off of Elo ratings from the last decade of matches) and WC chances.

G0 = before group games were played
    G1 = after the first round of games, etc.

20. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Good job Portugal :giggle:

21. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Well impressed by this Italian side. Orsolini and Pezzella have been great.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Costa Rica and Portugal both won and both have more points than Argentina. How does that work for Argentina?

Costa Rica has more points than Argentina and the same amount of points and a better goal differential than Germany, so Costa Rica's odds should be 100%, not 99.7%.

I'm surprised USA has the ninth best ELO of the 24 teams. I didn't think USA would be that high.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken Japan will go through if this game ends 2-2... They'll have more points than Argentina and an equal goal difference, but better goals scored tally than Germany so will be assured of at least on of the 4 places. I wish the commentator would stop saying, "Japan must score... blah, blah...." geeze get your facts straight commentator! :cautious:

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ended 2-2. Italy scored the first 2 goals, and Japan's comeback was bad for Argentina. If Saudi Arabia doesn't lose to USA, Argentina will be eliminated. Both USA and the Senegal vs. Ecuador winner (Senegal if it's a draw) will have more points than Argentina. Uruguay (group winner) and South Africa (last) played a scoreless draw.

25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Argentina almost out.

So far 3rd placed teams:
    1. Costa Rica
    2. Japan

3. Germany
    4. Argentina

Scenarios:
    For Argentina - both of the below must not happen:
    1. Vietnam beats Honduras or Honduras beats Vietnam by 6 goals.
    2. Saudi Arabia draws or beats USA

Germany has a whole host of scenarios where they go through., so I think they will scrape through.