FIFA U-20 World Cup: Korea Republic 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by BocaFan, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As Bobo Vieri has said numerous times Italy likes to grind out victories. And within that gringding there's a lot of physical plays, gamesmanship and dare I say... ...trying to embellish a little too much within certain situations.

Yes, as you point out... ...it goes both ways and there are circumstances where other teams do it. I am not going to get into that debate here. I am just going by popular perception (The English always seem to bring up Italian football when it comes to gamesmanship) and you can call it misconception if you want since you are offended.

2. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    As Vietnam and Saudi Arabia will kick off their respective campaign within a minute, it will be interesting to see whether all AFC representative go undefeated in the first round of group stage; Korea Republic, Japan, and Iran all collected three points in their respective first match.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    USA came back from a 2-0 deficit to tie 3-3.
    Sloppy defense all around and a very stretched match defensively. But entertaining for the neutrals I suppose.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Looking at Saudi Arabia vs Senegal I say no.

5. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Damn. That was so fast. Already 2-0 in 15 minutes.

6. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Vietnam is dominating possession but can't convert their opportunities.
    That will bite them late in the game if they continue this trend going.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA and Mexico both increased their points with a goal in the 90+4th minute.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  8. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I agree it goes both ways but I feel with the little gamesmanship things and grabbing/pulling the refs already know whats going on but often choose to let it go anyway. Probably because when you look at each play individually its hard to justify stopping the game. So it'll be interesting but I think the Juve cheats and such got this far because they know what they are doing.
    On a side note I thought England-Italy was one of the cleanest matches of the WC but the matches involving Uruguay on the other hand...

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So someone remind me, how does inclusion of Vanuatu help grow the sport again?

I mean, obviously everyone in that country will fall in love with football after watching their NT lose 7-nil to Venezuela, but that's still only 250,000 people. They're taking the place of the Netherlands who have a few young stars that could've used this tournament to boost their development.

As for short-term gains, I think Netherlands would draw more than 1,400 people to the Daejeon World Cup stadium.

10. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Its not about helping the sport grow, a world cup is about celebrating diversity and culture. Otherwise it would be pointless to call it a "world cup". I know the U20's is more for football experts to follow but the people who won't get a chance to see their nation in the senior world cup, they can follow them and celebrate it here. Example, there were a few Guinea fans in the England vs Guinea game today. I sincerely doubt they are locals.

11. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    South Korea are genuinely class. Lee Seung Woo, what a talent he is. That goal he scored was Messi-esque. Argentina on the other hand, I never had faith in. It was blatantly obvious they were going out first round.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm not convinced Argentina is one of the 8 worse teams in this tournament. They've been a bit unlucky, beginning with the draw itself. That said, they should still get to the knockout stage if they win their next match.

Well, its tougher to qualify for the under-20 world cup than for the senior world cup, except in OFC where its almost infinitely easier. This tournament should probably be expanded to 32 teams. Its actually more logical to expand this tournament than the senior WC, for both the reasons you listed as well as the ones I have pointed-out.

13. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that -4 GD is not going to help Argentina. Guinea is still in this thing, although they probably need to win. I don't think they go through with 2 points. Argentina obviously need a win.

If Argentina finishes 3rd, they will most likely be behind Germany or Mex in group B. Germany probably beats Vanuatu and will have 4pts and MEX is already on 4pts. So Argentina most likely already has one less spot for the 3rd place ranking.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, probably a bit early to go through the scenarios but I'm looking at group E as one where there's a good chance at least two teams finish with less than 3 points.

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - South Korea looking pretty good so far, shades of 2002 definitely... if only they can get Byron Moreno back to ref some of their games, they may be genuine contenders to win the whole thing.

16. moussepine

moussepine Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Zambia - Iran : 4-2

Zambia totally changed course in this match, being led 2-0 by Iran ( a brace by Reza Shekari, the Rostov FC promising talent) at half time, and eventually knocking team melli off with 4 goals in 20 mns ! That Zambia team is either brilliant and super powerful, or they may field overaged players using their physical advantage...

South Africa - Italy 0-2

solid victory for Italy, who is now very likely to reach the knockout phase, provided they don't collapse against Japan, which seems very unlikely... As for South Africa, I guess they are already through, don't expect them to win against Uruguay.

17. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    All teams in Italy's group are going through? :confused:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Iran is a very good defensive team. Brilliant anticipaters of the ball and are good in the timing of their tackles. They shut off for 20 minutes and Zambia took full advantage. The scoreline doesn't tell the whole story though.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Uruguay is up there and probably relies more on the gamesmanship than anyone that is for sure.

Back to the U20, I think instead of expanding they should contract this tournament to less teams. Only because most teams do not bring their very best players.

19. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Wrong. Only the Europeans don't because of the u21 Euros

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The USA is in Europe?
    I think I have to buy a new globe. :confused::p

Footsatt repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am sure there's some really good Euro based players that are under the age of 20 that were denied this tournament from South America and African teams too.

It is not just the European teams.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a national team's fault if FIFA makes U-20 World Cups but doesn't make clubs release players for them.

Costa Rica's Jimmy Marin scored in the 48th minute to tie their game with Portugal 1-1. It's in the 57th minute.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The issue has nothing to do with blame or fault.
    It has to do with quality and I personally don't think you should expand the tournament if teams don't bring their best in the first place.

24. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I'd say its 99% Europe, so no its not most teams.

South America brought most of their best players.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You go from saying it is only Europe to now saying it is 99%. SO now you have to work on geography and statistical analysis. :p

Maybe I should have said most teams and federations I care about that have a tradition of good futbol don't bring all their stars so I will concede that.

I just don't think it should be expanded. That is the main point.