FIFA U-20 World Cup: Korea Republic 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by BocaFan, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They are key players for the u19 team which is in the semifinal for the German championship. For the Germans this is a big deal apparently. They have a 3-1 lead over Bayern and will probably win and go to the final.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ecuador's Wilter Ayovi has been quoted as saying "we are convinced we're going to be World Champions."

Now , I know there are some people reading that sorta thing and saying what else should th kise say? Shouldn't you go into every tournament with confidence and expecting to win?

Perhaps. But you shouldn't be delusional in your over-confidence though.:p

3. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Starts in 3 hours. Venezuela vs Germany.

4. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Once Peñaranda was called up to the squad, I decided to pick Venezuela as my favourites to win the tournament. They don't have THAT much quality but the ones they do have are just on another level. Yefferson Soteldo, Yangel Herrera, Adalberto Peñaranda and Wuilker Fariñez. That is top class for this tier. They also have arguably the best manager in the tournament in Dudamel. Anything other than a quarter final appearance at least and I will be shocked.

Uruguay are my second pick at least for the South Americans. A lot of superb talent yet again like Bentancur, Salchipapas (or however its spelt) De La Cruz and Amaral. They'll do well, I'm not as confident with them as I am with the Venezuelans but they should do well regardless.

Don't have too much faith in Argentina or Ecuador but they could surprise.

5. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Vanuatu! WOW, just WOW!

Their goalie looks like he was raised in Europe, not those silly, clumsy "saves" like other Pacific goalies. They are physically unlike Pacific teams, they seem to be stronger than Tahiti or other teams from the confederation, there are no silly mistakes. I am shocked, I expected Mexico to trash them with ease. 2-2, 90th minute, shocker.

6. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    And there's the heartbreak, 90+4, Mexico scores.

7. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    This Lee Seung Woo for SK is genuinely class.

GoYoungrokba, beerslinger23 and chook90 repped this.
  8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England vs Argentina was a strange game as the Argies seemingly were the better side, but England win 3-0. We simply took our chances when presented to us and Argentina couldn't put away four close range headers, while their passing in the final-third was dreadful. I'm more concerned for England because our approach was poor in the beginning, but very happy to get the 3-0 win. Our first U20 WC in 17 matches.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    After a fairly even first half Zambia schooling Portugal in the second.

UEFA obviously still have too many slots in this competition.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Portugal lucky to only be 2:0 down. Could easily have been 4-5 down. Portugal did have their opportunities though before Zambia scored.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Portugal score to make the scoreline look much more respectable than it should have been.

Scrappy game all in all.

12. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Statistics

Portugal 58% possession Zambia 42%
    Portugal 20 shots Zambia 16 shots
    Portugal 5 on target Zambia 7 on target
    Portugal 9 corners Zambia 8 corners
    Portugal 4 big chances missed Zambia 0 big chances missed.

There is bias, and then there is zahzah bias. You have a bias these boards have never seen before, you basically live in a bubble in which your mind has zero need for reality and only filters in what you want to see.

verde-rubro and BocaFan repped this.
  13. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Match judgement > Stats

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  14. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In other words, opinion > reality.

Stats can be deceiving, we can all agree, but I think the big one is big chances missed. To be fair you can deduct one from Portugal because they scored right after the "big chance" you can also add 2 onto Zambia because they capatilized on their chances. If opportunities seized is added, then it's 4-2. I think for anyone watching completely objectively, they would have said a deserved result would have been a draw. When you say it could have been 4 or 5 to 0 Zambia, what you are essentially saying is fu*k you reality, I need to convince myself and others of this because it makes me feel better. I don't live in a world where opinion tops reality. He has a history of extreme mental delusion, and I should ignore it but it's so hard to stomach.

15. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Saw Iran vs Costa Rica this morning. Costa Rica were dominant in posession but that was down to Iran playing defensively. They scored their only chance and that was that. This Shekari looks good.

I'm most excited for SK vs Argentina on tuesday. I really liked what I saw from SK the other day and I think they'll beat an underwhelming Argentina side missing Lautaro Martinez. As for tomorrow, I probably won't get up for Ecuador vs USA as appealing as it sounds. I will try to catch Vietnam vs NZ. I never thought I would say I'm looking forward to that matchup but the Kiwis have a few players that interest me.

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Asia doing well so far. Three wins, only confed without a loss.

Save for the shock Argentina - England result its been poor from Europe. France should change that though...

South Africa - Japan - great game for spectactors.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I really have not been following the matches on television just highlights here and there.

How has Video Replay been applied so far? Has it taken away from the flow?
    I find it funny that Argentina and Italy would be the first few teams punished because of it because historically they seem to be teams to walk that fine line of gamesmanship and pushing the envelope physicality wise. (And find clever ways to get away with it.)

This could change things big time.

18. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    VAR has been a joke as most would have expected.

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wouldn't say England vs Argentina was a shock looking back. England were more fancied coming in and had a poor first half, but the second half was better even though Argentina continued to get more shots off, but never troubled Woodman.

20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From what I've seen they've been great because they've reversed incorrect decisions into correct ones. We will definitely have more time added on after 90 minutes obviously.

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As for the poor European showing so far I don't think Portugal, Italy, and Germany brought in many of their best players. I know England don't have Patrick Roberts as well as Rashford and Tammy Abraham, but those two are going to be in our U21 squad. There's a couple other players that are regulars, but their clubs wouldn't release them like Celtic did with Roberts. England are making slight improvements when it comes to clubs wanting to keep their players.

22. Persian Empire

Jan 26, 2016
    California
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran 1-0 Costa Rica: Our players are tall this year and they defended well, Shekari was class. Zambia and Portugal should be tougher tests.

USA vs Ecuador tonight

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Too bad the America game at 3:00 AM. I won't be able to watch it until like 9 or 10 lol.

24. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That's interesting. Which plays exactly would these teams get punished on? Italy player getting kicked in the back of the head and countless wrong offside calls against them at 2002 world cup? Quagliarella goal wrongly ruled out knocking Italy out of 2010 world cup? Or missed red card on Suarez for biting an Italy player at 2014 world cup?
    How about German keeper completely flattening Higuain in the 2014 world cup final?

I don't know what kind of plays you are talking about but I sincerely doubt they would warrant the ref stopping the game to look at video replays.

25. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's like they want to give people arguments against the video replays on purpose...