FIFA U-20 World Cup: Korea Republic 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by BocaFan, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerlestat

Gerlestat Member

Manchester United
    Venezuela
    Oct 31, 2011
    Chile
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    It is, im sure :)
    Yeah, it was not a penalty

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Saw this replay and changed my mind: clear penalty.

https://streamable.com/6wk72

That means that there was only one bad VAR decision this tournament - the non-sending off of Vido vs Zambia. Apart from that the VAR has turned bad decisions into good ones.

guri repped this.
  3. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    #378 guri, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2017
    [Deleted]. That had nothing to do with Korea or Koreans, or Asians for that matter, you dope. And Fifa knows it and didn't even open an incident report. If this were true Suarez would've gotten another year suspension already. :rolleyes:
    Why don't you inform yourself before impuning a whole nation without knowing what you're talking about. [Deleted]

4. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Take your dark glasses off and look at zahzah's video.

5. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    #380 Fector, Jun 8, 2017
    [Deleted]

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Guri liking my post :) End of days.

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  8. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    #383 Fector, Jun 8, 2017
    I am amazed that Uruguayans keep making those phony excuses.

Suarez' excuse was classic. So "negro" in Spanish does not translate into the same offensive slang as "negro" in the English language. OK, but it is at least equivalent to "darkie". So calling Evra "darkie" is not racist? FIFA thought it was racist and he got an 8 game suspension. [Deleted] It does not mean FIFA sanctioned the use of that term in an argument. Maybe "He is a negro" in Spanish is not offensive but "Evra, negro" is equivalent to "Evra, you darkie" in the English language. The context matters all and Uruguayans themselves know they are BS-ing.

[Deleted]

9. Gerlestat

Gerlestat Member

Manchester United
    Venezuela
    Oct 31, 2011
    Chile
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    #384 Gerlestat, Jun 8, 2017
    Hey Fector... Not good to generalize Latin American people because of 1 puntual situation... If there is something Venezuelan people hate is racism, of any kind, wherever it comes.

10. Gerlestat

Gerlestat Member

Manchester United
    Venezuela
    Oct 31, 2011
    Chile
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
  11. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    #386 Fector, Jun 8, 2017
    [Deleted]

12. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Congratulations Venezuela ! That game so exciting and for the first time we will be in a final. Is a hopeful news amid the suffering and darkness that my country lives. Thanks guys for making us dream!

Gerlestat repped this.
  13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #388 Rickdog, Jun 8, 2017
    Actually, it doesn't translate the same.

"Negro" in spanish, translates to "Black" in english.

The translation in spanish, for "darkie", would be "oscuro". And Suarez, never called Evra, as "oscuro". He called him "Negro".

The same way, many Americans (from both, north and south), usually call colored people, including mr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in his famous speech "I had a dream" (whom also happened to be colored himself and also speaks english).......:rolleyes:

Back here, calling someone "negro", does have a race context mostly refered to skin color, but it is very far from being racist.

deejay and sitruc repped this.
  14. Gerlestat

Gerlestat Member

Manchester United
    Venezuela
    Oct 31, 2011
    Chile
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Lets celebrate that a 17 years old guy made that goal, and a 19 years old guy saved those penaltys... Lets celebrate that 22 guys of no more than 20 years gives us this happiness now...

But we shoulnt forget that yesterday a 17 years old guy was killed by the regime... And a lot of 20 years old guys were assesinated by this regime...

Lets celebrate, but please dont forget

jagum and Rickdog repped this.
  15. Gerlestat

Gerlestat Member

Manchester United
    Venezuela
    Oct 31, 2011
    Chile
    Club:
    Caracas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    #390 Gerlestat, Jun 8, 2017
    Yeah, for us (Latin American), negro is more a funny thing... I dont know how to express it...

My cousin, Sergio Cordova, we call him "Negro" but it is different, something like a lovely thing (Of course Suarez said it in the bad way, Uruguayans and Aregentinians have very low black population)... Sergio call me "Chino" (Chinesse), because i have slit eyes tho, and is still a lovely thing (And i agree with your feelings about the uruguayan celebration)... No offence in calling him "Negro", no offence in he calling me "Chino"... It is different for us... And well, that Uruguayan player is just a kid, may be he didnt knew the repercutions of his actions, im sure no offence was intended there... He even celebrates that way back home because he have a very close friend that they call "Chino", just as the people call me "Chino" even when im not asian... Everyone in my family and my friends, even co-workers call me "Chino" and there is no offense for me...Do you know what i mean?

My Grandmah calls Sergio "Negrito Cumbá Cumbá" (Little negro mmm that dances a lot?, i dont know), and she calls me "Chinito Hermoso" (Little Beautiful Chinesse), but it is a lovely thing

It is hard to explain... We, latin american people, have so much races in our countries, and for us there is racism if not equal, so close enough to zero... Venezuelan (and Colombian) People do not tolerate racism at all...

16. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    But one has to question what does "blackness" of Evra matter in that argument?
    It was clearly meant to be derogatory and has a racial context.
    It is like "shorty". That is somewhat derogatory but is something that can be said between friends and not racist.
    But if I said that to a bunch of Southeast Asians or Mexicans while quarreling, that would be racist. .

17. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I am really happy for Venezuela and Dudamel. Great tournament, great team spirit, great morale. It should be pretty huge achievement to win three straight matches in ET/pens and those guys did it. I hope they win it all, but I won't mind if Englad does it.

Gerlestat repped this.
  18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Suarez's greatest mistake on the Evra issue, was to say what he said in the wrong place.
    And he did so, in the UK, where skin color can appear to be a very sensitive issue, over which you can't say much things, without considering it as how it was considered.

What may be common is some places, not necessarily is common on others. So for anyone, who is living in a diferent country to their own, they must take lots of care on how to refer to others, or to say some things, as they can be perfectly misinterpreted.

19. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    FIFA won't do anything for this incident(slant-eye gesture) not because it is not a serious matter but because FIFA are corrupt and biased.

Nazi Swastika is simply a mirror image of Hindu/Buddhist Swastika. But if , say, Thais design a uniform with a Swastika(even with the original Buddhist orientation - clockwise) on it and players have a brown scarf around the neck(OK, taken off before entering the field), will FIFA allow it? I don't think so.

Uruguayans' insisting that the gesture is not racist is the same as claiming Swastika is not Nazi. They take us for fools.

20. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    False equivalence. If the Nazi salute was a traditional Indian gesture and some Indian players did it in celebration I'm sure FIFA would allow it. If Uruguay printed a picture of someone doing the slant eyed gesture on a t shirt and wore it during warm ups I'm sure FIFA would not allow it.

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Scarfs aren't allowed in any uniform, by FIFA, so it really wouldn't matter in what color they would come......

No sort of simbolism is allowed in uniforms, by FIFA. Just remember what happened to the brittish poppies not so long ago.

22. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    #397 Fector, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Total BS.

1. It is not a traditional Uruguayan gesture.
    2. The performers of that gesture all admit that it was to imitate the facial features of Asians even if they insist that it was not out of malice.
    3. Nazi salute is not as particularly tied to Nazism as Swastika because it was also done by Romans etc.
    4. If the Indian "Nazi salute" has a racist past and symbolism like celebrating Aryan subjugation and massacre(if it happened) of Dravidans for instance FIFA are not likely to allow it, not just for the humanitarian reasons but also for no political-display rule.

23. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    #398 Fector, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    As I made it clear, not the playing uniform but the unofficial training uniform to be taken off before entering the field. Japanese had the rising sun symbol on their Olympic uniforms. I am sure they wore them at least before they entered the field in 2016. Korea and China protested but they got away with it. I also saw socks with a rising sun design. I forget when that was but it was not long ago.

Even in this tournament, I saw even some playing uniform designs that had some patterns ingrained. Shirts and shorts were not of single colors. When you allow stripes and dots, it is easy to put something as geometrical as Swastika.

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Symbolism on shirts will and should be treated differently from goal celebrations. Simple as that.

25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England teams at this age level and above generally falter in games like this but again this 97' group is different. We forced the issue. We didn't score the pretiest goals, but they were forced in and made it very difficult for Italy to cope with. The Italians were setting up shop to defend the 1-0 lead as they usually do, but the Ojo substitution changed the aspect of the game and for that he is the man of the match.