FIFA U-17 World Cup: India 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by BocaFan, Jul 7, 2017.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    38 games have been played and 31 of those games have been won by the team who has scored first. Only two teams have come from behind to win a game so far (Brazil beating Spain and France beating Honduras).

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    UEFA teams on average still tend to hold their own in youth tournaments, contrary to popular belief. Especially in the under-20 WC.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was no Weah Paraguay were going to win that..

HomietheClown repped this.
  4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Coming in third has turned out lucky for the US. Easy win and now they have an advantage in rest days.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    By George, you had to go and do it didn't you :ninja:

HomietheClown and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I just had a thought that maybe the ranking of third-place teams should be done by excluding results against the worst team in each group (similar to UEFA qualifying).

In this case, that would've meant Guinea advances instead of Honduras.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't like the best 3rd place team advancing system and my issue with it isn't solved by which results you use to determine the "best 3rd place" team. As long as the comparison is based on results by teams against different opponents, I don't like it.

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #109 Iranian Monitor, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Wow. Congratulations. I hope this suggests something about the quality of Iran's team rather than how fickle and unreliable U-17 results are for prognosticating future performances. Either that or Colombia sucked big time.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Colombia unfortunately made some very school boy amateurish mistakes in the back and by the keeper but Germany did take advantage of them with pretty goals.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Actually, the highlights I saw, showed Germany missing 3-4 excellent scoring chances besides the 4 goals they scored! And among the 4 goals they scored, the first one could be blamed on the keeper (who had done well initially in a one-on-one situation to only then fumble the ball), and the last one was from a defender being dispossessed of the ball, but the other goals were not the result of any amateurish mistakes.

But regardless, this German team didn't look at all like the German side that was thoroughly outclassed and thrashed 4:0 by Iran.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Half of their goals.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Half of their 4 goals and half of their 4 other excellent scoring chances:)

Honestly, these results don't inspire confidence in prognosticating about the other knock out round results based on the group stage performances and results. Not when Paraguay wins its group winning all 3 group games and earning maximum points, only to then get thrashed 5:0 by the US which had finished 3rd in its group!

zahzah repped this.
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As you alluded to before at this age level you just can't predict who will show up and who will play poorly from match to match.

Marcho Gamgee and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They may hold their own, but the parity that exists between confederations in youth tournaments (including the Olympics) is nothing like what we have had so far in senior tournaments. The latter have been dominated by UEFA's top sides along with Brazil and Argentina. In youth tournaments, the honors are far more evenly divided. More importantly, you do not have a clear pattern of UEFA sides out-performing teams from the so-called lesser confederations. African sides in particular, but even Concacaf and Asian teams, have often held their own and done well against UEFA sides.

We don't need to go far to realize what I mentioned. The chances of Iran's senior team winning its group in World Cup 2018 with maximum points and a +9 GD, in the process thrashing and schooling Germany 4:0, is nil. Yet, despite the fact that Iran is actually an under performing side historically at the youth level, this is not the first time Iran tops its group at the youth world cup beating its UEFA opponent. In the 2009 U-17 World Cup, Iran beat then UEFA champions the Netherlands and topped its group, with the Dutch eliminated at the group stage. And in the 2013 U-17 World Cup, which again included Iran, we advanced from our group alongside Argentina (who topped the group), with the UEFA representative finishing last in the group.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The margin of victory was surprising but the outcome wasn't. The US wasn't your typical third place team. They got six points in a tough group. Missed winning the group by about 25 minutes.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well but the 2nd placed team of the group Colombia got thrashed 4:0 by Germany, who in turn always got thrashed 4:0 by Iran.

So who the frick knows?

I bet on USA to win, but not 5:0... Yesterday's results were out of the blue... Like I said - only two constants - Brazil and Nigeria are always here to win the tournament. Other than that? Nope.

18. ineedanewname

ineedanewname Member

May 16, 2007
    Iran Air
    Iran already up 2-0 after 10 min against Mexico.

19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Iran is not letting off... Is there anyone that can beat them? France - Iran will be an interesting clash of the top dogs. Of course if France wins their game. Iran seems to have a stranglehold on their win, alhtough despite the scoreline they aren't all that dominant.

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    And Mexico back in it with a goal!

EDIT: At least statwise France look like they are taking Spain to school - 8 shots to 2 so far and 1:0 up.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    HT: Iran 2 Mexico 1

Mexico has played well, but they have weak links, particularly defensively. Mexico fell behind 2:0 inside the first 10 minutes despite having started more brightly than Iran. Thereafter, Iran naturally played from a counterattacking posture and Mexico held most of the possession. In terms of chances, both sides had a few until Mexico scored a nice goal.

Incidentally, contrary to what I had read here, Iran and Mexico had indeed played a friendly at this level before the world cup, but the score was 2:1 in favor of Iran not 3:0. Anyway, hope Iran is able to win this match but Mexico aren't a roll over by any means and play a more articulate style, even if Iran looks more poised and somewhat less mistake prone.

22. ineedanewname

ineedanewname Member

May 16, 2007
    Iran Air
    The referring has been awfully, Mexico's goal was offside and a clear foul on irans player was given as a dive and the English ref issued a yellow card to our player even though it happened right in front of him. Our captain is missing this game due to another silly yellow card in the last match against Costa Rica we better not lose any more players for the next match although I'm not worried about France at all.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Except for the yellow card to one Iran's players who was indeed fouled by was mistakenly carded for diving, I felt the referee did alright. He rightly awarded Iran a penalty to set up Iran first goal, and while that was the right call, it was the kind of call some referees would not have made.

24. ineedanewname

ineedanewname Member

May 16, 2007
    Iran Air
  25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran