FIFA U-17 World Cup: India 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by BocaFan, Jul 7, 2017.

1. SoccerAnalyst

SoccerAnalyst New Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Yes bro, Iran has the best of Asia can represent along with Japan.

2. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, India totally destroyed Iran in that match. India should have won 10-0. It is a wonder why India can not win any match! They have next Messi in their squad.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your point is correct, but a group with one draw would have 17 points. It wouldn't be limited to 14.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Germany never sends their best players to youth world cups. Of capped players only Kroos has been in a U-17 World Cup. Of recent squads maybe Passlack might make it to the full team. I doubt anyone else. They still send solid teams though.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    ROTFL. My god... just so funny.

Among candidates for worst team at this tournament we have another strong contender in Chile, currently running a 0 pts, 0 scored, 7 conceeded record...

I think New Caledonia will take the title, but only just.

Iraq showing class again. So Asia very strong with Iran, Iraq and Japan.
    Iraq vs England should be good.

Round 3 starts tomorrow.

p.s. Nigeria failed at the first hurdle to Niger.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No, they send the best they can. You're mistaking U17 with U20.
    A lot of players fail to make the grade, but thats just normal for U17 level.

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Mali - New Zealand 3:1
    Paraguay - Turkey 3:1

1. Paraguay 9 pts
    2. Mali 6 pts
    3. New Zealand 1 pt
    4. Turkey 1 pt

Mali will likely play Iraq or England, while Paraguay a third placed team: Ghana / Colombia / USA or Niger

Turkey (UEFA) and New Zealand (OFC) both out.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ghana - India 4:0
    Paraguay - USA 3:1

1. Ghana 6 pts
    2. Colombia 6 pts
    3. USA 6 pts
    4. India 0 pts

USA will face off Paraguay or likely Iran (winner of group A or C).
    Ghana will get a third placed team from Niger or Costa Rica / Germany / Guinea
    Colombia will face runnerup from group C: one of Costa Rica / Germany / Guinea.

India (AFC) out.

9. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What did happen to India? I swear they were the best team in the tournament they were just unlucky not scoring much and all goal they conceded were just because of stupid mistakes! Future is bright for Bharat!

10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Their defensive mistakes were atrocious.

11. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I really don't have high hopes for this Colombian team, but with each passing game they are showing an improvement which is a good thing

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    1. Iran 9 pts
    2. Germany 6 pts
    3. Guinea 1 pt
    4. Costa Rica 1 pt

Guinea (CAF) and Costa Rica (CONCACAF) go home.

So we also know the three 3rd placed teams that go home. All other teams know third place is enough.

So we have:
    BRACKET 1
    Colombia vs Germany
    Winner group D (Brazil) vs Third group E (probably Honduras)

BRACKET 2
    Paraguay vs USA
    Winner group F (Iraq of England) vs Runner-up group E (likely Japan)

BRACKET 3 All African bracket

Mali vs Runner-up group F (Iraq or England)
    Ghana vs (likely) Niger

BRACKET 4
    Winner group E (likely France) - Runner-up group D (likely Spain)
    Iran vs Third group F (Mexico or Chile)

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran v Costa Rica 3:0
    Germany v Guinea 3:1

14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yeah, missed that.
    Germany much better than vs Iran. But damn... Guinea are just so wasteful...

How do you like your chances in the France / Spain / Mexico or Chile bracket?

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am impressed with Iran's results and was stunned with how Iran demolished Germany. Other than that, though, I am not really familiar with any of these U17 sides and can't really make even an educated guess. Still, we have scored 10 goals in 3 games and conceded only 1 goal - that one goal in the 90th minute against Guinea. Based on these results, I suppose Iran has already shown itself a possible contender and favorites against any 3rd place team we face. But football doesn't follow any such logic necessarily and that is even more true at this age level, so I will have my fingers crossed and hope Iran will continue to win its games as handily has it has so far.
    P.S.
    I think we played a friendly before the U17 World Cup against France and won 4:0 and beat Mexico 3:0 in the same friendly tournament. And Chile haven't been all that impressive, so on that basis, you would expect Iran to get passed the next round.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    How farcical is that? So if you just beat New Caledonia and get waxed in your other 2 matches, that's still good enough to reach the knockout phase!? :laugh:

Seriously, just expand this tournament to 32 teams already! Players only get one chance in their life to play in this tournament. Wouldn't hurt to give more kids that chance, its good experience.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I dislike the 24 format for the same reason. But well...

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't like the 24 team format either, but if you are going to have that format, I prefer 8 groups with 3 teams, with the top 2 teams advancing.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Leads to same problem - if New Caledonia is in your group you basically receive a bye to the knockout round.

Honduras is a good case in point. For all we know they might not even have one of the top 75 under 17 teams in the world. They've done nothing to prove that they do. Yet here they are in the round of 16.
    They'll get Brasil in the R16 so for the first time (including qualifying) they will have to beat a good team to move on. :coffee:

20. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    reported birthdates of nigerian players :D

[​IMG]

deejay and +PL+ repped this.
  21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nigerien, with an 'e'.

Thats not cheating (besides all African players are MRI tested now, so worst case scenario they are 1-2 years overage).

The reason why so many players have 1.01.XXXX as there birth date is because a lot of people in that region, especially in such a poor country as Niger don't register birth dates. The standard practice is to go to the office for documentation. If you know your month of birth (lets say July), but not the exact day, they'll write in 1.07. XXXX. If you only know the year (or more or less which year), they will write 1.01.XXXX. Thats why in Niger (I've also seen a lot of this in Benin) you get loads of people 'born' on the first of January.

This have nothing to do with age cheating, just poor records.

deejay repped this.
  22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This third round is pretty boring. No tension, almost everything is known. I guess the only interesting group was A with three teams battling for the top spot. I guess the battle for third between Mexico and Chile will be mildly interesting, while Iraq vs England looks good. Since today basically those are the only two games with anything to play for...

1. Brazil 9 pts
    2. Spain 6 pts
    3. Niger 3 pts
    4. North Korea 0 pts

Two 2:0 wins.

North Korea (AFC) go home. So thats every CONFED with one team out:

So we also know the three 3rd placed teams that go home. All other teams know third place is enough.

So we have:
    BRACKET 1
    Colombia vs Germany
    Brazil vs Third group E (probably Honduras)

BRACKET 2
    Paraguay vs USA
    Winner group F (Iraq of England) vs Runner-up group E (likely Japan)

BRACKET 3 All African bracket

Mali vs Runner-up group F (Iraq or England)
    Ghana vs Niger

BRACKET 4
    Winner group E (likely France) - Spain
    Iran vs Third group F (Mexico or Chile)

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    :eek:
    "1-2 years overage" is a lot!

But I agree the birth-dates are down to poor records, not an attempt to cheat.

Some dunderhead went through the trouble of circling all those Nigerien players born on January 1st, meanwhile they failed to point-out that 2 players have a birthday on 30/31 December! :ROFLMAO:

Late December is the worst date for a birthday in terms of eligibility in FIFA youth tournaments!

24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Just being factual. Thats the error margin for the MRI. But the closer we are to 19 the larger the fail rate.

I'm not saying anyone cheats anymore. It just doesn't make sense, because the risk of being dropped is too high. The FAs won't even try it, becuse its a waste of time and investment.

25. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Give me the Mexican team. We have some unfinished business.