FIFA to change suspension rules

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Don Homer, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2279027.stm

I'm clearly muddled tonight! How does this protect the referee's authority more than the current system?

Managers, media, and fans will still be just as abusive if they think the ref over-reacted.

The fact that the player will serve an automatic one match ban even if he lodges an appeal just seems to make the situation worse. Especially, if he then wins that appeal...

2. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The system may be working in your part of the world, but may not be in other parts. Hence, the statement on such a ruling.

3. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Septic Bladder just wanted to look like the boss-man again, that's all this is about. I hope this vain fool goes way soon.

4. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    I had a feeling it might just be smoke and mirrors...

Better see what the left hand is up to, while we're all watching the right one!

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I guess this is designed to protect the referee from political intervention. Crooked appeals committes overturning red cards, etc.

I guess.

Sachin

6. badwolf

badwolf New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    FIFA acting again like a military 'Junta'. If this indeed gets into the rule book I hope that in the democratic countries of the world that players contest this in the courts.
    In all democracies a person convicted of a crime has the right to appeal.
    FIFA will eventually kill itself - hopefully.

7. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The Enlgish FA has already said it will not change it's rules mid-season, and will probably fight any changes at all.

8. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    Nothing undermines authority so much as authority insisting something is right when it has been proved to be wrong. Blatter doesn't understand the difference between authority that comes from respect and that which comes from imposition.

9. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    What does this mean? WC 2002 was rigged. Why? Because now FIFA can do whatever they want, and no body can do anything about it. If they feel a team/country should win or perform well, they can do it.

This has to be one of the dumbest rules of any sport in the world. So if your opponent clearly dives, and you get the red, your not allowed to argue? Too much athority given to the officials. Yeah, like the ref really will admit he was wrong. :rolleyes:

10. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Sepp Bladder is a great guy.