FIFA: Re-run of 2022 World Cup vote a possibility

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MesaATLien

MesaATLien Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Also, people seem to conveniently forget that FIFA demanded that we start our own domestic league as well as qualify for the 1990 World Cup ON OUR OWN or else our hosting duties would be TAKEN AWAY. That's what the United States was required to do in order to host in 1994.

But it seems that has been thrown out of the window. I don't see FIFA demanding the same thing from Qatar, a country that went into the bid with none of the required infrastructure and has never qualified for one tournament.

Back on topic: I'm liking the idea of Australia getting the revote for 2022. This has the potential for two things. One, FIFA can potentially come begging to us on their hands and knees.

Two, let's not forget that 2026 isn't that bad when you think about. Sure, I would want it sooner.

But now that I've had some time to think about this, imagine the kind of party we would throw...

...On the 4th of July, Indepedence Day, smack dab in the middle of the tournament?!?...

...In the summer of 2026, the 250th year aniversary of our founding?!...

...I'm pretty cool with that. :p Go Australia!!!!!! :D

cnaw repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like how people want the Aussies to win a re-vote as if our beloved USA is a guaranteed shoe in for 2026.

What if Australia wins it and then Colombia gets 2026? We will have egg on our face and a much longer wait to host.

I say screw Australia. USA needs 2022. We already have a plan in place for 2022. All we have to do is dust it off and continue preparing for it.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you book tickets to Bogota. Sounds like a good time

Why does the US need the World Cup?

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would love to fly to Colombia (especially since I am half Colombian.) But I rather have a road trip here in the USA. :D

As for why the US needs the World Cup...
    ... Well, Cause we are the USA. Enough said.

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think the Aussies could use the boost more than us and '94 is still close enough.

6. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Now this is completely FALSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to answer Druryfire's original question (which seems to have been removed) on why a WC in Qatar doesn't make sense, the BlackBaron's answer is classic...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPdhzsyTSyw"]YouTube - ‪USA Loses 2022 World Cup Bid to..Qatar! WTF FIFA !?‬‏[/ame]

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They could use the boost more than us but I don't care about that. This is not about helping countries out. This is about competition and in many ways a business.

The USA has the biggest stadiums, a plethora of resources, many diverse cultures and the potential to host the best World Cup ever.

That is all I care about.

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it doesn't involve licking FIFA's balls again, then fine. I don't have the patience for that nonsense anymore.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully all of these crazy Qatar allegations bring some reform to FIFA and some oversight from some impartial party/ authorities.

Time to clean things up and this could be the start.

11. MesaATLien

MesaATLien Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the same boat Japan and South Korea were in when they bid for 2022; Too soon. Another one in South America in 2026 is only 2 tournaments in between then and 2014. Atleast the United States would have 6 tournaments in between 1994 and 2022, and 7 between 1994 and 2026.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think they will look at it as a CONMEBOL vs. CONCACAF thing.

They will see it more as a Eastern Vs. Western thing in my opinion.

They will look at Colombia and see they have never hosted in the Western Hemisphere (Although they could have in 86) when compared to the USA who has hosted and that could be in Colombia's favor.

13. MesaATLien

MesaATLien Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, if they gave Mexico 3 times to host a world cup, then at some point they should give it to the US.

15. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just guessing, but the evidence from the original vote suggest that if Qatar got thrown out in a revote it would be between the USA and Korea, not the USA and Australia. Qatar scored very low on the technical aspects in the bid reports, but Australia likewise scored quite low on the financials reports. Australia also scored bottom when it came to capacity for television production. That is something that can be solved by bringing in thousands of technicians from outside Australia on short term contracts, something which Qatar will also have to do. But, it is still there that the Australian bid scored very low in some sectors which were quite important to the more business minded individuals on the ExCo. Korea was a much stronger bid.

16. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If you look back you will see that the false comment was directed at the must qualify for 1990 or lose hosting rights part.

17. MesaATLien

MesaATLien Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was only directed at that, then I understand. However, I could have done without the drive -comment along the lines of That's wrong!1111111!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!! without any clarification.

By the way, if I do get some facts wrong, please correct me by providing the accurate information so that I can check myself.

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep on dreaming cause that's definitely not happening.

20. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1- Brazil getting the cup in 2014 pretty much shuts down South America until 2030, and....

2- There is a small movement already for a 2030 Uruguay bid, for the 100th anniversary of the first World Cup. By 2030, that small movement may be huge.

If Australia or Qatar get 2022, it's pretty much a battle between Europe and CONCACAF for 2026, with the nod going to CONCACAF, probably USA, Mexico and Canada battling for it.

21. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because by watching this fiasco, you get an idea of what can happen to you if you don't. Sometimes your two options are $#!+y versus really $#!+y.

22. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting stuff. Didn't realize the crowds were that big in '84 for the Olympics. Checked out '96 and they were similar crowds even the soccer backwater of the Southeast. ;)

No crowds under 3k here in the US.

23. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can also look at Nashville. For example, here's a city that has virtually no footballing pedigree, and yet they can draw crowds of 20,000. Even a silly friendly between the LA Galaxy and UAG Tecos drew over 11,000 in 2004.

Back during the 2002 World Cup, I was on another forum when some Swedish guy was kvetching about the USA making the round of 8. He hissed that "Only 10% of Americans care about the World Cup", and pointed to a study that "proved" it. I told him, "Dude, 10% of America is still bigger than all of Scandinavia put together, and if Denmark or Sweden got to the round of 8, nobody would really bat an eye." The guy was stunned to know that in that small minority, the US did indeed have a rich footballing culture.

It should be known that even if "10% of America" cares about football (Which I believe that number is far higher now), it's still 30 Qatars.

24. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the soccer culture here is a strange thing. It just pops out at you in weird places or times. Like today, I just got back from lunch at a local pizza place and all the staff members today were wearing AC Milan jerseys. (I hate AC Milan). The place is not an "italian" pizzeria, per se, either. I talked to the staff members and they didn't know why they were wearing them except that the manager had told them to wear them today.

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And that doesn't even begin to dip into the immigrant population who often follow other leagues and national teams, EXCLUDING Mexican immigrants/Mexican-Americans. When you add them in, the number swells, and when you add in those of Mexican heritage, the number of people here in the States who support professional/international soccer skyrockets.