FIFA: Re-run of 2022 World Cup vote a possibility

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine it would change if Donald Trump wasn't president.

Frankly though this idea that the US isn't popular seems kind of strange if FIFA really is happy to be getting cleaned up as they claim. Penalizing the US for doing their dirty work for them would be a signal that they really aren't happy their sport has been cleaned up a bit and they really like corruption. Which would be a great PR move on their part...

2. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think a lot of nations, especially the smaller ones liked the kickbacks and the earlier era of FIFA.

majspike, COMtnGuy, sakibomb523 and 4 others repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different Federation.

4. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, is there any evidence at all that the current crop of FIFA officials is any different than the corrupt batch that got swept out? It sure seems like nothing really changed. There were a couple pointless internal ethics investigations that went nowhere. It seems like there was never any serious review of the 2018 and 2022 bidding process or serious consideration of taking the tournament away from Russia or Qatar, even though it's an open secret that both won through bribery. And we have the expanded WC coming in 2026 as a way to pander to the smaller nations/confederations.

COMtnGuy and Master O repped this.
  5. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's only one other option on the table... and it's not really appealing. Unless you consider Qatar to have been an appealing choice. I mean Morocco has been rejected more times by FIFA than a hobo is for a gold card.

6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is it cleaner?

To the extent that the overt "corruption" has been stopped, yes. Though now, everytime anything happens people don't like, they yell corruption.

Can it ever be "corruption free"?

No, because as long as Martinique, Mozambique, Mongolia, etc have the same voting power as England, France, Mexico, etc ... money will be an easy way to get votes for what people want, especially if those countries don't have much oversight into their own federations (ie. someone saying the guy is taking money for himself)

COMtnGuy and Master O repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're never going to forgive us for cracking their corruption network.

Also, and being honest here, we're not exactly the most likable bunch either. The pious fake righteousness rubs many the wrong way.

COMtnGuy, Master O and russ repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Morocco fill 80-100+k stadiums? The 94 version is still the best attended WC and US fans barely new soccer then. Wouldn't FIFA make more money off much better attended games not to mention it's been in Africa sinceit's been in N America.

9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I wouldn't put anything past FIFA. If they could stick it to the US by awarding the 2026 World Cup to Morocco, they'd do it. You just know they also especially want to stick it to Trump.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If by "we" you mean the USSF, I agree.

At this point I couldn't care less if it's staged here or not.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely but want to add is we just skimmed a bit of the surface with the corruption FIFA is set-up to provide.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does that stick it to Trump? He'll have been out of office for 6 years by that point.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    on the contrary, Trump seems exactly their type of guy

Winoman repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, FIFA honchos are buddy-buddy with Uncle Vlad. And he's supposedly pals with the current POTUS.

Isn't "the friend of my friend is my friend"?

15. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the 2026 World Cup's actual location is decided, Trump will be in office, though.

superdave repped this.
  16. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    All of this makes me want to puke. Let's concentrate on putting a decent team on the field and screw the WC, FIFA, Canada, and Mexico. And ourselves, for that matter. Politics and soccer. To hell with it all.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International soccer is inherently political. As Americans and the world's superpower, we will always have bulls eyes on our backs, especially in this sport.

Get used to it.

18. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That I'm used to it makes me want to puke, pal. Thanks for the education. While we're at it, who the hell do you thank I am? If only to disappoint clowns like you would I like to see us screwed. Marone. All due respect, of course. Thanks God that I'm beyond the obsessive stage.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. That money goes to the federation staging the Cup.

21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be disappointed at all. I wouldn't like it if the USA didn't get the bid obviously. It's just that I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA hoses the US on its 2026 World Cup bid to spite Trump, especially given his comments and overt hostility to Muslims, Islam itself, and any combination of those two things.

[joking] Also, who do I think you are? You are the number 6 (three and three). [/joking]

Three and Three repped this.
  22. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Fair enough. I'm just so tired of it all. I remember when we drove to games in Boston- hockey, hoop, baseball - and Providence - hoop - and the rare occasions when we, of different political affiliations, spoke of politics. It was a voicing of opinions, not a chess game, and never to be taken personally. The very idea of international intrigue vis-à-vis sports was distasteful to all of us.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, then soccer ain't your sport. Go Surf or play Snooker.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Something happened at some point in the late 90s. It's like all sense of humor died in the USA.

TOAzer repped this.
  25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to make an educated guess, it had to do with Bush's year 2000 election "victory" after the Florida debacle. It's been nothing but animosity between Americans ever since.