FIFA Rankings & World Cup Seeding (2018 Edition)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Rickdog, Feb 15, 2016.

1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I wrote earlier about my ranking system I devised which I believe to be more accurate than both FIFA and ELO. Here is the ranking which would have been used for seeding in October. I realize there are still one or two headscratchers, but nowhere near the level of FIFA or ELO IMO. Here they are.

1. GERMANY
    2. BRAZIL
    3. FRANCE
    4. ARGENTINA
    5. SPAIN
    6. Italy
    7. PORTUGAL
    8. CROATIA
    9. PERU
    10. ENGLAND
    11. BELGIUM
    12. COLOMBIA
    13. MEXICO
    14. POLAND
    15. Wales
    16. ICELAND
    17. Chile
    18. Holland
    19. SWITZERLAND
    20. EGYPT
    21. SWEDEN
    22. Venezuela
    23. Turkey
    24. Burkina Faso
    25. URUGUAY
    26. SENEGAL
    27. DENMARK
    28. COSTA RICA
    29. SERBIA
    30. Cameroon
    31. Slovakia
    32. MOROCCO
    33. USA
    34. Rep. Congo
    35. South Africa
    36. Ireland Rep.
    37. NIGERIA
    38. Ecuador
    39. JAPAN
    40. TUNISIA
    41. Bosnia & H
    42. Northern Ireland
    43. Algeria
    44. Paraguay
    45. IRAN
    46. RUSSIA
    47. Ukraine
    48. AUSTRALIA
    49. Ghana
    50. SOUTH KOREA

Other World Cup qualifiers

68. SAUDI ARABIA
    72. PANAMA

So the pots would have looked like such

Pot A: Russia, Germany, Brazil, France, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, Croatia

Pot B: Peru, England, Belgium, Colombia, Mexico, Poland, Iceland, Switzerland

Pot C: Egypt, Sweden, Uruguay, Senegal, Denmark, C Rica, Serbia, Morocco

Pot D: Nigeria, Japan, Tunisia, Iran, Australia, S. Korea, S. Arabia, Panama

Main differences are that Spain is rightfully in pot 1 in place of Poland, Croatia also comes in at Belgium's expense.

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's far better to have an organic approach to football than the manipulative, Big Brother method that you propose.

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why is Croatia in pot 1, they went out in the group stage at WC14 and round of 16 at Euro16. Colombia is a far worthier team for pot 1.

4. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    It won't help anyone's development if some of the bigger sides who still need this tournament are forced to decide not to participate bc the ranking situation becomes untenable. This very factor almost negates what it was intended to serve. It doesn't even help the rankings of the smaller nations. So, in the end, what's the point really? Simply so that we can say that it's there? Or is CAF going to play a regional strategy whereby they no longer care about international ranking so much as rankings within the confederation. Let's not also forget how ranking dilemma's can play havoc on WC qualifying as Cameroon and Algeria found out to their detriment. These three teams were in the same group because two of those teams had lower than expected rankings and when you can no longer count on the strongest teams in CAF to maintain the best rankings in CAF on a consistent basis, then you risk the effectiveness of qualifying determining our best qualifiers. A broken system from top to bottom. It simply doesn't do in practice what it's intended to do except in the minds of the nations who choose to see it as a sort of participation credit and allowing some of these players to say that they have NT caps to their name. But those caps represent utterly meaningless platitudes, while the only meaningful effect is hurting the nation's rankings.

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    My ranking system takes into account recent performances much more so than FIFA. I don't think WC 2014 has any bearings on my rankings. This isn't about "worthier" its about a formula which is far more accurate than FIFA.

If you look at Colombia's last 11 WCQ their record isn't all that good

Losses against Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil

Draws against Peru, Brazil , Venezuela, Chile, Uruguay

wins against Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay

So in 11 matches only 3 wins against pretty much the worsed ranked sides in Conembol, yet they are still ranked #12 in the world. Why exactly should they be seeded in the top 7 ?

Meanwhile Croatia beat Spain in the past Euro's, drew with Portugal at the same tournament and also beat Iceland in WCQ. Iceland after a strong Euro tournament is ranked higher than any side Colombia has beaten (Bolivia, Ecuador, Paraguay)

6. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #956 Unak78, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    How is what I propose in any way more manipulative than the system itself? To me it's a part of the game that we shouldn't continue to ignore. And if this was the only aspect in which CAF appears oblivious then I wouldn't be making such a big deal, but it's indicative of a larger problem that rears it's head regularly for us.

In the end I support organic approaches so long as they have real teeth, not simply empty symbolism. Capping domestic players is far less meaningful than hard currency and capital placed in the domestic leagues. And there are far too many Nigerian multi-millionaires running around who could easily be doing what Moïse Katumbi or Patrice Motsepe are doing but aren't. Last I checked Aliko Dangote is still the wealthiest man in Africa by some margin. Why is he so focused on Arsenal when he could easily do that while still lifting the fortunes of any club in Nigeria? I could blame him alone, but the federation has done nothing to make such an investment attractive. They've done little active recruitment. What men who have bought in have only done so on their own initiative.

You want organic development, then put money in the leagues around the country; develop better facilities and hire nutritionists, trainers, coaches and set up an infrastructure to create real change. It can be done. We've seen it in DRC and they didn't need an empty cap system to do it. Platitudes do not equal a real approach in my opinion so I have no conflict in my mind towards denigrating it in lieu of real change.

You want to motivate your domestic players? Pay them better. Give them better facilities. Make the leagues that they play in appear to mean something. Make the stadiums and atmospheres that they participate in be something that kids growing up in the country aspire to. These minor tournaments will change absolutely nothing. The fans won't suddenly start buying tickets. This is just another ploy by CAF to attract money and call it development. They need to start pursuing monied interests and pressuring them to invest in their leagues. Make the CAF CL mean more. Make the club academies mean more.

So, no, I won't sit here and behave as though this is some special initiative that will do anything meaningful in the grand scheme to the degree that it's negatives should be ignored. Why should we always be the ones who don't try to game the system? Of course we aren't the ones writing the rules, but we do tend act like they don't exist and cannot hurt us. This does not help us... I simply endorse engaging in some strategy and a multi-pronged approach which incorporates both organic solutions as well as tactical positioning...

And don't act like your country and confederation doesn't take such things into account when they have to. It isn't manipulation, it's simple pragmatism.

7. Mahmoud Abdelhamid

Al Ahly
    Egypt
    Nov 21, 2017
    You have a good point.. but African football still need waaaaay more improvement, maybe ranking is one thing to care for later. Let’s see how the new board will deal with the whole issue.

8. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Perhaps, but this isn't the only thing and it dove-tails into other questionable practices in such a way that makes me wonder if they're even at all aware of how FIFA even operates at all; or even how it's decisions affect it's federations competitiveness abroad. Not being able to consistently schedule friendlies is a problem that is at least partially linked to this, but this is not the only aspect that they seem to ignore when they plan these things. If I believed that this really had a tangibly positive effect on developing football then I wouldn't oppose it. I just don't see how it does. Maybe someone can convince me, but I just don't see it... these players would play in these tournaments regardless. Just a chance to put on the NT shirt and possibly attract the attention of a NT manager is reason enough. The rest is meaningless...

Mahmoud Abdelhamid repped this.
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Actually I think the single biggest flaw in the FIFA rankings is that it weighs recent performances too heavily. A decent sample size of competitive matches is required to assess 200 teams, IMO.

Also, this aspect of the FIFA forumula becomes more problematic since confederations don't hold their championships around the same time. So for e.g. the Euros are more heavily weighted right now than, say the AFC Championship.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #960 Iranian Monitor, Nov 30, 2017
    The ELO rankings, while producing their own rather curious results at times, are the most methodological sound system we have for now. Under the ELO rankings, the top 32 teams in the world are as follows (the ones in bold teams which have not qualified to the World Cup, while teams not in the top 50 who are in the World Cup are also listed with their rank).

1- Brazil
    2- Germany
    3- Spain
    4- Portugal
    5- France
    6- Argentina
    7- England
    8- Colombia
    9- Belgium
    10-Italy
    11- Netherlands
    12- Peru
    13- Uruguay
    14- Switzerland
    15- Chile
    16- Croatia
    17- Mexico
    18- Poland
    19- Denmark
    20- Sweden
    21- Iceland
    21- Iran
    23- Serbia
    24- Senegal
    25- Wales
    26- Paraguay
    26- United States
    28- Japan
    29- Ecuador
    30- Costa Rica
    30- Slovakia
    32- Venezuela
    ----
    33- Australia
    37- South Korea
    41- Nigeria
    44- Morocco
    45- Russia
    47- Panama
    48- Egypt
    52- Tunisia
    61- Saudi Arabia

Obviously, ELO's rankings aren't kind to CAF teams and that is the only area where I find their rankings significantly in error. But as I have mentioned, and as is being discussed in this thread, the source of the problem may be with CAF itself.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The Netherlands being #11 certainly qualifies as "curious".

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I agree that Netherlands are overrated in the ELO rankings. And I am not exactly sure why that is the case?

13. The problem I have and expressed that in my post is about the ratings as a means for people to see their team get an "easier" group and thus a better chance to get into the next round.
    My take is that you enter a WC to win it. So whether sooner (= in the group stage) or later (= in the knock out stage), you have to deal with a strong competitor to reach the next round until the Final.
    Ratings arenot changing that.

14. Can you explain what you mean by this?

15. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ELO and anything derived from it uses perfectly objective criteria. Wins/draws/losses.The system was originally devised to rank chess players.

It does a better job than FIFA, without even trying to account for other factors.

In my view, anything you may question about X or Y team in ELO suggests that you yourself are overrating/underrating the team.

16. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why do people automatically assume that a system is overrating or underrating a team just because it doesn't appear to follow conventional wisdom that most people think?

If we are just going to rank teams based on what everyone thinks there's no reason for an objective system to begin with lol.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's a bit of a stretch. There is a reason that robots don't yet rule the world. Humans have that extra dimension to take on-board factors which may not have been thought about weighted appropriately beforehand to make better decisions.

Of course bias can often cancel out that added dimension but I have no reason to be bias in thinking Holland should be lower (way lower) than #11. You're just gotta trust me on that.:p

I would be curious to know where Holland ranked in the ELO rankings immediately after the 2014 World Cup. They've done nothing since then so I don't understand how they didn't slip further than #8 in UEFA and close behind Belgium (lol).

Is there a link to retrieve historical ELO rankings like there is for FIFA?

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    These "so-called" objective systems are designed by humans, remember.

Anyway, your point is based on the false premise that everyone thinks alike. Ranking systems are created... well... primarily for promotional reasons ($$$). But also because no three people will ever agree on anything much less "everyone".

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Like I said earlier a ranking is only as good as the formula it uses. If the formula is crap or makes no logical sense the rankings will follow suit.

There are many illogical aspects to FIFA formula which is why people constantly complain about it.

If the rankings are going to be used for something as important as a WC then FIFA should do their best to improve the ranking formula.

Unak78 repped this.
  20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #970 Iranian Monitor, Nov 30, 2017
    I leave aside the notion that you can't really have 'perfectly objective criteria' in theory. I agree with you that the methodology used by ELO is sound and doesn't have obvious faults in it. I also remind myself to be more cautious in how I rank a side that ELO ranks significantly differently. That is particularly the case with Peru, who I don't rank highly in my mind but who rate highly not just by FIFA but even ELO at #12. (To some extent, this also applies to Colombia, who I don't rate as highly).

In the case of the CAF sides, to be sure, I don't fault ELO methodology either. I fault mostly CAF. ELO can't mess up its methodology just to accommodate CAF's peculiar tournaments and practices. On the other hand, while I am not going to rank CAF sides as highly as our fellow CAF fans would, I have seen enough of Nigeria to know they can't be #41 (ELO) or certainly #50 (FIFA). Whatever causes Nigeria to suffer in ELO's ranking, I actually like to understand. There have been attempts to explain the issue, but ultimately that is a mystery still!

As for the Netherlands, I think the issue with them boils down to them starting at a very high point and then their results overall being better than their tournament qualifications and finishes the past few years would suggest. I can understand how Netherlands can end up #11 even if I don't agree with that ranking.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Croatia actually lost to Portugal. And while Iceland can be a pesky team, don't forget that France thrashed them at the Euros.

I disagree with the reason for the existence of friendlies that you offer. Also that Argentina or any other South American country tries to game the system with their friendlies. The point of friendlies is to provide more clarity on which players are truly international class and which diminish at this stage, so as an Argentine fan playing opponents such as Belize, New Zealand, Macedonia does very little to shed light on up and coming players such as Paredes, Dybala, Correa, etc. But playing stronger sides, no matter their FIFA ranking, can give a clue on how these players would perform in an international tournament. Despite not qualifying, all of Italy, USA, Chile, Venezuela, Ghana, etc. would be worthy matches to schedule.

Germany historically does not typically play friendlies to win and earn FIFA points - they may win the match simply because they are better than the opponent but their approach is to use these matches as a filter for their young players along with trying established players in a couple of different positions from the norm. Obviously it does not seem to have hurt them at all.

What butters me is that you are advocating for a cynical approach, which never pays off. It also makes for a loser experience to react at what others are thinking. The team that you pass off on playing due to ranking may be the team with strong wing play to test the young fullbacks who will own the position at the next World Cup.

22. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    I don't care being in pot 1 or pot 2. Give us whoever you want. I will be more excited facing a powerhouse than worried about it.
    I have seen my team beating the likes of germany and spain and lose against the likes of turkey and norway so it doesn't matter.

23. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    ELO is good at long term trends, it has a pretty long memory. Netherlands has a strong rating due to past results. Their poor run isn't adequately reflected in the rankings, similar issue with African team ratings, but in the other direction - a jump in form isn't adequately reflected.

The ranking is objective, unlike FIFA's, but it does have its flaws.

24. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes the systems are based on inputs that humans enter into the system. Any good system should have inputs that have been tested to show they directly correlate to talent. It's not like they are just putting in inputs because they like them or because it fits their favorite team.

I don't know if the primary reason is for money tho. FIFA, ELO and SPL have all made systems publicly available for free. The primary reason for developing a system should be to accurately rank teams.

25. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy