FIFA Rankings & World Cup Seeding (2018 Edition)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Rickdog, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Car123

Car123 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    US
    Much better pedigree than the 2006 edition.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Argentina and England were examples. Any top Pot 1 and Pot 2 team will make a group of death. Also what about Sweden instead of Croatia?

We could get a repeat of 2002: Argentina, England, Sweden, Nigeria.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yes, Iran seems to be the only Asian contender. Just this week you had Japan drawing Haiti at home, Saudi Arabia losing 3:0 to Ghana at home or South Korea losing 3:1 to Morocco at home. Asia were poor in 2014 and it seems to have gone downhill from there.

As for CAF its a mixed bag. In theory:
    Nigeria 2018 > Nigeria 2014 (much better players, strength in depth)
    Egypt 2018 = Ghana 2014 (possibly Africa's best tournament team)
    Cote d'Ivoire / Morocco 2018 < Cote d'Ivoire 2014 (no Drogba, no Toure - different generation)
    Senegal 2018 > Algeria 2014 (at least when you look at the team sheet, only African side with a Balon d'Or nominee)
    Tunisia 2018 = Cameroon 2014

I would say Nigeria, Egypt and Senegal are all great bets for dark horses from Africa.

Senegal especially has the players. The value of the Senegalese side is on par with that of Poland. But will they form a team? So far they fail to dominate like the Drogba-era Cote d'Ivoire team did.

So I would that cautiously optimistically Africa seems to be a tad stronger.

Overall from non-UEFA and CONMEBOL sides I would say Iran, Mexico, Nigeria, Egypt and Senegal would be the likely suspects for the knockout phase.

Zandi360 repped this.
  4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Or your team is better, or South Korea, which in fact was the same opponent from your group as for the previous WC cycle, is weaker.

Sorry, can't have them both, as it seems as if you are contradicting yourself.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #380 HomietheClown, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    The point is Argentina would kill for that group and in their minds know they would not be afraid of any of those teams and would have the mental edge against them.

Sometimes I imagine you and others here are like people who go up to people who say "The sun rises in the east" and you would say to them "no the sun does not move technically".
    No one cares about the technicality. They just care about the main point.

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran can be better and South Korea can be weaker. There is no contradiction. Of course, if the only basis for my judgment that Iran are better was how we fared against South Korea, you might have had a point. But Iran clinched its qualification to the World Cup without conceding a single goal in its group and without a single loss. Although Iran won pretty much the same group last time with South Korea finishing runner up then as well, the way we qualified this time wasn't remotely comparable to 2014. Nor were our overall results the past couple of years similar to our results then. South Korea, on the other hand, was just poorer, not just against Iran, but against everyone else they have played.

Zandi360 and Mani repped this.
  7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Still think Argentina would prefer any team from pot 4 other than Nigeria. Including Serbia. Nigeria usually loses but its always by max 1 goal and these are normally very close affairs (save for World Cup 2010).

8. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If they draw the pots in the order of 1-4-3-2 then groups of death can be avoided.

For example say Germany already drew Croatia from pot 3 or Serbia in 4, then none of England/Spain/Italy can be placed in their group.

I wouldn't put it past FIFA to draw the pots in that order to spread out and balance the groups.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not sure I understand. If they used another order, say 1-2-3-4, and the first two teams were Germany & Spain, then they couldn't get Croatia. So GOD avoided.

OTOH, if the pot 1 team is Brasil then a GOD such as Brasil-Spain-Croatia-Nigeria can happen no matter what order the pots are drawn.

10. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #385 faiyez, Oct 11, 2017
    I'm sure nobody genuinely cares. Argentina will be happy with anyone in Pot 4. From the looks of it, they should all do well in increasing Messi's tally. Nobody is too concerned about Nigeria, or any of the African teams, for that matter. CAF will no longer be seeded favorably to avoid non-seeded Conmebol. They are now all in the bottom half pots, where they belong.

Pipiolo repped this.
  11. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I respect Nigeria, but really, im tired of always playing with them...

In any case, what every team is concerned about are the possibilities of pot 2.

zahzah repped this.
  12. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Understandable. Though this time it will be 1/8 chance, rather than 1/5. Also, you are no longer forced to draw an African team at all.

13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pedigree accounts for history, and historically Peru is equal to Chile. Only recently has Chile climbed up to match Peru, and quality wise, Peru is playing better football on average than Chile since this year.

14. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    True, just from a European perspective the chances of being drawn into a GOD drastically lower if they draw from pots 4/3 first, as say Germany would prefer Croatia + Peru/Colombia etc then Spain.

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :ROFLMAO:

I can picture @zahzah bawling after reading this post :devilish:

faiyez and elviejomen repped this.
  16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well, they should be. And every site has Nigeria as the pot 4 component for any group of death. Why? Because they made the 1/8 final in 2014, cruised through the toughest qualifying group and have a better team then back then.

And Senegal and Croatia (if they aren't in pot 2 by the end of the day - only one of Peru, Italy and Switzerland need to mess up) at least in terms of worth will be the most expensive pot 3 team. So on net value alone Senegal should worry people.

You should really take a look at Africa's track record at the World Cup vs non-top seed CONMEBOL sides:
    1982 - win vs Chile, draw vs Peru (wrongly dissallowed Milla goal)
    1990 - win vs Colombia
    1998 - draw vs Chile (wrongly dissallowed Omam Biyik goal), loss vs Paraguay (vs the reserves of Nigeria, who had already won the group), loss vs Colombia
    2002 - draw vs Paraguay, draw vs Uruguay,
    2010 - loss vs Uruguay, draw vs Uruguay (should have been a win)
    2014 - loss vs Colombia

So in a fair world it would be: 5 wins, 4 losses, 2 draws
    In the real world: 2 wins, 4 losses (where one barely counts), 5 draws

BTW CAF teams avoid CONMEBOL teams every other World Cup, not always.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Why should I? Haters gonna hate. And I got the facts on my side :D

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Still wondering how they fare... If you look at their team they don't have a single household name. The closest to being recognizable is Farfan.

Honestly not so sure they will find it easy vs New Zealand.

19. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Non seeded CAF and Conmebol were in the same pot for world cups 2006, 2010 and 2014.

20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    #395 condor11, Oct 11, 2017
    majority of the team is born between 91-96 so maybe a few will now start making their name in the world (the likes of Edison Flores, Renato Tapia, Miguel Trauco, Andre Carrillo, Christian Cueva, and a few others)

the major key is that the coach has got the team playing well together - unbeaten in their last 6 qualifying games and second best team after Brazil (points gained) in the second round of the qualifiers (9 games)

This Peru struggles against teams like Colombia and Brazil who control possesion well and do better against the likes of Paraguay and even Uruguay who are not possesion teams

NZ I think is not a possesion based team so it will be intetersting and ultimately in 180 minutes anything can happen..Peru has the pressure, a pressure they have not felt ever

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I recognize the players, sure. But Flores plays in a struggling club in the Danish league, Tapia has hardly played for Feyenoord yet (but apparently he's on the up), Trauco is doing OK in Brazil. Cueva and Carillo are the closest thing they have to renowned players, but most people have never heard of them. Carillo will likely get better known given his EPL status. But both are 25-26 and none of them have had stellar careers so far.

Obviously team play is more important, but it helps with mindsets when facing such an opponent.

I'm also not sure, but isn't part of Peru's strength the benefit of home games at altitude?

22. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Peru does not play at altitude

Lima is at sea level and has zero home advantage for Peru...Does not rain, its not cold, its not hot, its not high....

Cueva is on the rise and its all thanks to Gareca who finally got his head screwed on right

Edison Flores should hopefully move on soon, he has 5 world cup qualifier goals

going to a WC suddenly makes your players more attractive to better leagues...they just have to get the job done in NZ (which wont be easy)

zahzah repped this.
  23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I know a bit about Peru's history, since Iran's first World Cup ever was in 1978 and we had Peru in our group. I still remember that game, watching it as a young kid well passed my bed time late at night, full of hopes that Iran might still qualify to the next round after having drawn Scotland 1:1. What I remember most about that game was one Peruvian player by the name Cubillas. While Iran, needing a big win, was the side on the attack, Cubillas simply tormented Iran's defense on the counter. He shredded our defense and helped Peru secure a 4:1 win against Iran. So, yes, I know about Peru's history. But the pedigree I was alluding to is a bit of more recent vintage, given that Chile is after all the reigning S. American champs and one of S.America's best sides in recent World Cups. Peru, on the other hand, has not been seen in the World Cup for a long time.

Pipiolo repped this.
  24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's a great memory, I was too young to understand football in 78 but in 82 I also have similar remembrances with Argentina against Brazil and a certain Zico shredding them to pieces. Diego Maradona leaving the pitch with tears and the kiss by Tarantini.

Teofilo Cubillas was a special player indeed, the pride of Peruvian football and I'm sure he'll be there in Russia as fan and talisman. A rematch with Iran would be incredible.

25. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Where did you get the value of Senegal team? I have looked at transfermarkt, but couldn't see it there...