Fifa Ranking-2016

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by AIL1998, Jan 8, 2016.

1. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fifa ranking will be used to determine the seeding for final round of AFC WCQ 2018. The new Fifa ranking was released yesterday. Here is the ranking of Asian teams in January Fifa Ranking:

43 Iran 672 pts
    51 Korea Republic 617
    53 Japan 607
    59 Australia 583
    64 United Arab Emirates 547
    73 Uzbekistan 489
    75 Saudi Arabia 474
    82 China PR 413
    84 Qatar 404
    86 Jordan 398
    87 Iraq 395
    99 Oman 344
    107 Kyrgyzstan 324
    113 Korea DPR 301
    117 Turkmenistan 294
    121 Bahrain 285
    121 Thailand 285
    125 Syria 278
    131 Palestine 267
    135 Philippines 264
    136 Hong Kong 259
    140 Lebanon 245
    141 Kuwait 242

For February Fifa ranking, Saudi Arabia will have 571 points and Australia will have 510. This means that Saudi Arabia will be fourth Asian team in next Fifa ranking (February). No match in the March, so I do not expect much changes for March Fifa ranking. The draw for final round is in April 14, 2016. If they use the last Fifa ranking before draw, it will be April one. So we do not know the final seeding yet, and the results of March matches can have significant effects on April Ranking. If we do not see Australia in top 4 of April Ranking, most teams probably prefer to avoid Australia.

If there is going to be any discussion about Fifa ranking before the final draw, it can be in this thread.

2. Football Asia

Football Asia Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Saudi Arabia will actually be 3rd with 1 more point than Japan and only 9 points behind South Korea. Unless this changes by April, they shouldn't use the Fifa rankings for the final round draw otherwise we could see some ridiculous groups.

3. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh you are right. Saudi Arabia will be third. They always use Fifa ranking. In last qualifiers, they used the last Fifa ranking before the final draw. The final draw is in April 14, 2016. So they use the April one most likely.

4. Minnows-lover

Minnows-lover Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, Asia could have a group of death with three teams from the big 4 and the other group very kind. This could be an advantage for Asia, because one of the big 4 could face the intercontinental play-off with greater chances than a "Bahrain" or a "Jordan".
    The problem is that i don't want Saudi Arabia, Qatar and UAE in the World Cup...Uzbekistan, North Korea, Iraq, Thailand, Syria...i hope in youo_O

Howver UAE - Saudi Arabia in March could be the most important match for the seeding of the April's draw.

AIL1998 repped this.
  5. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with you, but who wants to be in death group? I do not. I doubt anyone wants that.

6. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    How the F*** is this F**KING POSSIBLE? I just checked and they just randomly get 97 points out of their ass. While every other team drops points for no reason. If this isn't a god damned clear example of arab money buying points I don't know what is.

7. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Just looking at these retarded rankings we're gonna get something like Iran, Japan, Australia, Uzbek group vs Korea, Saudi, UAE, Qatar...

8. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is still early to predict the groups of final round. The uae vs. Saudi Arabia match in March will be the most important match for final seeding. Currently Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, and Uae are in better position than Australia for better seed.

Obviously no one wants to be in death group. However If Japan and Australia do not get back their third and fourth place in Fifa ranking of Asian teams by April, I definitely want to avoid one of those two teams more than Korea. If they get their third and fourth place back, then I prefer to avoid Korea. Anyway although no one wants to be in death group and I am one of them, I believe in our team regardless draw.

9. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    2015 Asian Cup results become less important after a full year went on... KSA did horrible there so they stand to gain points, unlike a team like Australia

10. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's fine I'd rather not have our team go to Saudi and have to wait in their airport for 10 hours for fingerprints even thought they've been there about 12x over the years for ACL clubs.

11. AlleXyS

AlleXyS Member

Steaua Bucureşti
    Apr 22, 2014
    Bucharest
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    If I try, I can made a better ranking for FIFA teams .... this is a sh%& made by fifa :))) and this is for all confederations, not for Asia

what is sad ... that AFC put this ranking in consideration for ACL slots

12. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the same boat, it might be good to have a strong group so a strong team can make the interconfederational playoff, let's just hope Mexico doesn't under perform again.

13. Parisian75

Parisian75 Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Very good thread. Fifa rankings will be also important for the afc cup qualifiers. That's why some teams will play friendly games on February.
    Uzbekistan can take also to the position 4... I don't think we will know it before March 29th

14. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the February ranking and the April one will be used for final seeding most likely:

49.Iran 626 points
    60. Korea republic 580 pts.
    61.Saudiarabia 571 pts.
    62.Japan 569 pts.
    67.UAE 520 pts.
    69.Australia 510 pts.
    70. Uzbekistan 502 pts.
    80.Qatar 444 pts.
    92.Iraq 372 pts.
    98. Korea dpr 350 pts.
    120.Thailand 286 pts.
    125. Syria 278 pts.

Parisian75 repped this.
  15. Kurdii110

Kurdii110 Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Man wtf is wrong with FIFA????

16. MVP#3

MVP#3 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    Kurdii110 repped this.
  17. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I cannot believe how saudi arabia gained all those points

18. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I'm wondering if the qualifiers game in march can boost the points for Australia and Japan.
    If not I want Korea, Japan, UAE, Uzbekistan, North Korea, and Thailand.

19. Minnows-lover

Minnows-lover Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
  20. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Winning 5 games and tie 1 in the WCQ's...

Parisian75 repped this.
  21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Along with some poor performances dropping back to previous years affecting those years average results and also having a smaller weighting. Australia's drop is due to the Asian Cup results dropping back to previous years and thus having a lower weighting.

22. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia since the Asian Cup has won 5, lost 1 and drawn 2 (inc. a 2-2 draw with Germany in Germany, the other draw was against Macedonia in Macedonia). Australia has only played 2 of those 8 games at home. Yet they could fall to 6th in Asia?

23. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think the current ELO ratings are a lot more reflective of the "true" standing of teams in the world. For Asia the standings are: (S. Korea may be ranked a bit too high, but more realistic than 50th).

19th South Korea
    30th Japan
    34th Iran
    39th Australia
    48th Uzbekistan
    51st UAE
    70th Qatar
    71st China
    77th North Korea
    78th KSA
    78th Jordan

http://www.eloratings.net/world_cup_asia.html

KiarashM and Zandi360 repped this.
  24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    None of these games get the weighting boost that the Asian Cup had. Friendlies are multiplied by 1, WCQ by 2.5 and the Asian Cup Finals matches by 3. The Asian Cup matches will lose half their value in February. The draw against Germany, even though on paper looks a great result, was the 3rd lowest scoring game for us (the Macedonia draw and the loss to Jordan being the two lower).

25. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Therein lies the problem with FIFA's ranking IMO. Also where the ELO ranking is superior, in that it accounts more so for the opposition's rank, where the game is played, and the nature of the event. Also believe the ELO ranking accounts for a longer period too.

I don't think anyone seriously would believe Saudi Arabia should be ranked higher than Australia, or that Belgium are the number 1 team in the world (and Germany 4th).

+PL+, (De La)Redstriker06 and MVP#3 repped this.