FIFA proposes scrapping under-17 and under-20 World Cups for one 48-team youth tournament

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by HomietheClown, Feb 23, 2018.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    While a 48-team tournament doesn't work very well in terms of the format, I generally agree that this is one WC that should be expanded to give more youngsters a chance to gain experience at a high level, and be exposed to a global audience.

'Under 20' is also a bit too old be an age category since it overlaps with the senior NTs. So I also agree with having just one age category for the youth WC (either u-18 or u-19).

Probably too late to implement this for the next youth WCs, so I guess 2021 would be the target start year if this idea flies.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    An joint youth tournament would make U17 players lose out... They would lose out to U20 players...

For all intent and purposes U17 was a unique tournament and scraping it would really be a shame,

BocaFan repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I see both losses and gains in the proposal. 15 & 16 year olds might lose out initially, but then they'd participate in the next WC 2 years later when they are 17 or 18 (If there is only one FIFA youth WC it would have to be u-18 or u-19 (not U20)).

Keep in mind under the current system, u-17 players could still lose out from their country not qualifying in the first place. Much better chance of qualifying in this proposal - you can have about 10 spots per confederation, slightly less for CONMEBOL and 2 for OFC.

4. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    No it doesn't. At the 2014 World Cup, there were just 3% under-20 players, and 21% under-23 players.

5. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    In my opinion, 17 year old are too young to play a world cup.

6. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Under 20 tournaments get minimal attendance, and Fifa wants to have a 48-team tournament? They are insane!

jagum repped this.
  7. nooshcat

nooshcat Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the Olympic football continue as an U-23 tournament?

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves. As the title of this thread says this is just a proposal. I don't even think its on the agenda of the FIFA meeting next week. In fact, they're announcing the hosts of the next u-17 and u-20 World Cups at that meeting.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just announced they are sticking with the current format, at least for now:
    Peru to host u-17 WC in 2019.
    Poland to host u-20 WC in 2019.

Carlozik repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Are you counting players that turned 20 in the first half of 2014 to arrive at that 3%?

Anyway, I guess its a small percentage but they tend to be the best 3-5% of players so it feels like more. Also the older that the youth age group is for the WC the more likely that the player won't be released by their club to play in the tournament.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Disappointing for India.

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What is it with FIFA and supporting fascist European states?
    Russian World Cup 2018.
    Polish U20 World Cup 2019...

13. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    And it would be discriminatory, only rich nations with good infrastructure could organize it

NaBUru38 repped this.
  14. Carlozik

Carlozik New Member

Poland
    Dec 2, 2017
    Please, no need to get political. Don't compare these two countries. I dislike our current government deeply, but it's an exaggeration. Poland was awarded u20 WC as a commemoration of 100 years of Polish FA (est. 1919). Current political situation will pass, I hope - we will forget about this dark times in Polish politics, but will always remember organizing U20 WC.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You need to get political. You had Olympics like the ones in 1936 in Nazi Germany and in 1982 in Communist USSR... Neither were a good idea.

As for FIFA? First a dictatorship at war with Ukraine in Russia, then a human-rights cesspool that is Qatar, now when Poland is the dark sheep of European politics they are being patted on the back and awarded football tournaments.

And yes - Poland is nowhere as bad as Russia, but its still a quasi-fascist state with no functioning independent court system that is at war with human and environmental rights on multiple levels. Awarding them such a tournament at this point in time is like patting them on the back and saying: "Don't worry. We don't care."

Human rights MUST be a part of the equation in international sports. At the very least it must be a motivation to move in the right direction. India is by no means ideal, as Modi is just as right wing and fascist, so you could have an argument there... But at least he isn't dismantling India's democracy.