FIFA President says MLS system better than rest of world (sorta)...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Coyote89, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    He references the MLS model saying, "Americans have the most regulated system in the world, and they can win like any other: they understood that they need balanced competition to be successful. "

http://www.directvsports.com/futbol...cambios-las-regulaciones-del-mercado-fichajes

English translation of linked article:

The president of FIFA, Gianni Infantino, revealed that they want to review the operation of the transfer market to stop spending, encourage quarry systems and that the stars are spread over different teams. The new rules could be established "by the end of 2018".

"I do not like what I am currently witnessing: in 2017, global transfers reached 6.4 billion dollars, while agents' fees reached 500 million dollars, and only 60 million were invested in training. It is possible that, while the business is growing so much, funds for youth systems are getting smaller and smaller, "he explained in La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Transparency is mandatory at these levels, this should apply to agents too, the summer transfer window should be shortened, the leagues should start after the transfer session is closed, and the number of transfers during the transfer should be reduced. winter period: it was once the session to replace an occasional injured player, it is not acceptable to rebuild a team, I do not like it when a player changes from one team to another in the middle of the season, "he added.

In fact, Infantino does not rule out copying the US model: "I think we should rescue what made football excellent there, I think we should reduce the number of loans and put a limit on teams of up to 25 players. players have to play, not sit in the bank in bigger clubs, Americans have the most regulated system in the world, and they can win like any other: they understood that they need balanced competition to be successful. "

2. monere

monere Guest

Really?? Americans are successful because of the balanced league (whatever balanced means here) and the most successful leagues in the world are not successful? Really??

3. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I depends on how they're defining success - either fiscal success (Europe) or parity success (MLS).

CrankyAvenger and oknazevad repped this.
  4. monere

monere Guest

possible...

5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't disagree with his ideas, would love to see a more balanced playing field, with star players spread more evenly and a huge fan of limiting the squad sizes. But none of this will happen, everything here involves labor and I don't see any way you could limit players ability to move clubs and make money. Would be in violation of labor laws and in this case you dealing with 150 + countries and their individual labor laws.

AlbertCamus, mschofield and monere repped this.
  6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely dead on, but squad sizes could be limited without dealing with player movement.
    The huge stars would remain in the employ of a few clubs, but the star level squaddies rotting at the mega clubs would be playing elsewhere, which is a huge win for fans. Though I suppose the CFG model gets around the loan ban. Still, the players are playing elsewhere, which is good.
    But the rest is typical FIFA having no idea about the limits of their power.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea have 36 players out on loan, so limiting loans out would hit them hard.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  8. MisterJawn_215

United States
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's making a jab at lack of pro/rel in the US. If the US model is so successful, then why can't the US qualify for the WC, Olympics, win CCL, produce world-class players, etc.? Also, you DO notice that MLS' quality on the field has not improved compared to the world, right? MLS isn't even a top 100 league in the world.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just going to make all kinds of ridiculous statements until you get red carded from every forum aren't you?

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why, yes.

11. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    MLS is the 2nd strongest league in CONCACAF behind only Liga MX, yet it's not even a top 100 league worldwide? European MLS players routinely compare MLS to the English Championship. So, of course there's still a difference between MLS and the world's top leagues, but not even top 100? That's quite a stretch.

More importantly, the comment from the FIFA president was about competitive balance. There's long-term value in parity as it ensures that all clubs, owners, and fan bases remain emotionally invested. When you're only motivation, for decades on end, is to avoid relegation, that becomes pretty unsatisfying for a ton of fans and it limits investment and commitment from owners, advertisers, etc. It also fosters an environment where the top clubs just buy all their talent rather than developing it which ultimately hurts the game.

BJNT92281 and Kieran Fischer repped this.
  12. Kieran Fischer

Kieran Fischer New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Costa Mesa, California, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. There are 211 FIFA nations, do people really think that we are in the lower half of quality?

CrankyAvenger, mschofield and JasonMa repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Only people who've never actually been to see games in many of these leagues and refuse to view MLS honestly.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who watched the games last night can attest to how far MLS has come in the last few years.

mschofield repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The highest I've seen MLS feature in articles about tje best leagues in the world is 5th, although that includes factors other than the standard of football. The lowest I've seen based purely on the standard of soccer is 15th. But I may have missed a few that rank MLS lower than that.

Financially: Six MLS clubs make top 30 of SoccerEx's Football Finance 100 rankings

oknazevad and mschofield repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    MLS needs to up it's level of play, clearly, now that it seems to be getting it's finances in order. I don't think that was a point that was fair to make as recently7 as a couple years ago, but it seems to be now. And, to be fair, the level of play this year is taking a big step up.
    MLS clubs in the top 100 globally, from that piece:
    The LA Galaxy (14), New York Red Bulls (23), Seattle Sounders (24), New York City FC (25) and New England Revolution (28) were the six MLS teams that made the top 30 of the rankings, the most clubs in the top 30 of any league apart from the English Premier League. Orlando City (37), Toronto FC (42), Houston Dynamo (44), Portland Timbers (45), Sporting Kansas City (54), San Jose Earthquakes (57), Colorado Rapids (58) and the Chicago Fire (59) were the other seven MLS clubs in the top 100.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second highest number of clubs in the top 30 after England. I think lack of debt and owner's wealth has a lot to do with it.

oknazevad and mschofield repped this.
  18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And anyone who has been following MLS for a while (I started in 96) has to be amazed by this

oknazevad, deejay and Paul Berry repped this.
  19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS is much worse than 15th in standard of soccer.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The revenue stats imply otherwise, and talent tends to flow to money. I would agree that MLS is punching a bit under it's financial weight, and was moreso until recently.
    But based on leagues to which I've paid a lot of attention (watched on a regular basis) I'm not sure how you can make that case.
    Certainly there are leagues that are better than MLS top to bottom, in which the bottom clubs would be a step above anything on offer in MLS: But there aren't that many. The top divisions in Spain, England, Germany, Italy, France and maybe Russia would fit this criteria. I would expect TFC, playing at last year's level, to be favored for relegation from any of these.
    After that, it gets iffy, though, doesn't it?
    Certainly, there are leagues better in the top third than anything on offer in MLS. Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Turkey, Holland, Portugal, and the English Championship. But if you pay attention to the mid and lower reaches of these leagues and MLS doesn't look too much out of it's depth.
    And then there are the leagues that have one to three really strong clubs, but in which it wouldn't be a surprise to see MLS clubs occupy the 2,3 or 4 to 16 slots, en masse. And that's a lot of leagues.
    But it raises a point, what makes a better league, overall quality, or higher quality champion. I'd say the strength of the lower third of a league clubs are as important in determining a league's level as the top third. But that's just me.
    I can't see much worse than 15th being possilbe. Of course, by much worse than 15th you might mean 16th to 18th, and I can see that argument. But much worse implies MLS is somewhere around 30th, and I don't see how that case can be made.

flange repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're entitled to your opinion. But note the number of players earning > $500k has doubled in the last 3 years which has made a huge difference.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing Infantino said that I didn't see above is about salary caps:

"There must be a limit to the number of players a club is allowed to keep on its books and, most importantly, there must be a salary cap in football.”

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Something MLS does better than the Euros is the transfer window. It's open at the start of the season, so clubs have two full months to identify and address weaknesses, before having to drop it for a couple months.
    In Uefa leagues, without the equivalent window, meaning sept., january becomes a panic window for clubs who are already taking on water. The MLS window is open until May 1. That's enough time to see if new players fit, and to adjust. It also means the summer window isn't as panicky, but can be what it should be, a time to replace long-term injured players.

oknazevad repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Summer window is open 12 weeks.

Premier League clubs in England voted to end the summer window on the Thursday before the start of the season - on August 9 in 2018, instead of August 31. Because FIFA demands the window must be open for 12 weeks, the window will open around May 17.

25. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For MLS: "The secondary transfer window for the 2018 MLS season will run July 10-August 8."
    I get ending European clubs wanting the frenzy to end, but really doen'st this mostly protect the massive, rich clubs. Smaller clubs can't afford to bring in two players for one position, so they need to make sure a signing actually fits. Closing it in early august means they don't have the chance to do that.