FIFA Confederations Cup: Russia 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, May 17, 2017.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You ALWAYS put your best 3 first!!!

unclesox repped this.
  2. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I think I'd rather play Germany in the final again. Mexico worries me a little bit... they have thought of nothing but Chile since the 7-0 and will probably play the match of their lives to regain some honour for their fans against a Chile team that just went the extra time plus penalties against Portugal.

Whatever happens, lets at least hope they also go to extra-time.

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bravo is the new president of Portugal

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ronaldo must be disappointed to not win another trophy with Portugal, especially given that winning the CC is easier than the WC. Also his striking rate at this tourney isn't great either, 2 goals in 4 games with 1 goal being a penalty.

I do wonder with only 3 matches left. Who would even win the Golden Ball? I can't think of any standout player of the tournament yet.

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's how it was done in the 'old' days.
    But it seems since the turn of the century teams save the best for last (of fifth, anyway). Especially at club level.

6. herthabsc

herthabsc Member

Jun 20, 2007
    #731 herthabsc, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    I'm late to the Cameroon conversation, and apologies if I'm reopening a closed topic. However, 2 points:

1. As a white German (Canadian now by choice) I agree that (black) African teams suffer from a preconception of being overly physical, clumsy, and aggressive, and are therefore probably carded more frequently for the same offences than European or South American teams. Some people bristle at calling that racism because of the implicit suggestion of personal views on the part of the ref, but I think it's indisputable that that preconception comes out of a historical canon of racist ideas about Africans, however directly or indirectly.

2. The foul on Can was not in any way such a case. That was as clear a red card as I have ever seen. No hint of the ball, studs-first into the side of the knee. In such a situation neither intent nor any other factor matters at all.

Zasal2000 and zahzah repped this.
  7. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Good game guys! Bravo FTW!

posteador repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think like most stereotypes there are some truth to them in general.
    That is why they become stereotypes.

But let's talk about Mexico-Germany.

Germany has what it takes to win but I think Osorio can also pull a rabbit out of his hat.

I see a close match that can go wither way, but i favor Germany. (You almost always have to.)

9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ronaldo should take the kick third, that way no matter what he's impacting the shootout.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its only a WC dress rehearsal for the host nation to get some of the logistics that come with hosting ironed-out, as I understood. That is if we really buy the "dress rehearsal" excuse in the first place and don't just think its all about money.

11. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    ...I want to talk about the match but I'm still fuming about VAR. I feel I have been betrayed for defending it.

Can I join the conspiracy groups in this sub? VAR good enough to call our goals offside, but not penalties against us? Racism towards Chileans?

Where is my tinfoil hat.

Rickdog repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But then he can't be the "hero". Or at least it makes it very unlikely that he will take the winning PK.

Anyway, who wants to bet CR7 still wins the golden ball for this tournament?

13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    congrats to Chile well played

just pissed that all those chances fell to Gomes, oh well :cry:

posteador repped this.
  14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Minor pointer, but a PK is not a 100% goal. So Chile would have likely won the game in extra time, but its not assured.

All in all Chile deserved to go through, but that was a pretty ardous journey for neutrals.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe it is also a dress rehearsal to apply new rules that will be used in the World Cup.

New rules like VAR and the 4th substitution rule that is applied once Extra periods are played.

16. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    That Nani run up to the ball though... :ROFLMAO:

17. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I would take Mexico. Unlike against Germany, the ref might actually be neutral. I think a "ankle breaking" type tackle from behind by a Mexican would get a red card, unlike the no call against Germany on Sanchez's goal. Also, like Portugal, Germany will likely be able to foul Chile in the box with impunity, without the ref even checking VAR.

18. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    You can imagine how I feel.

At least this ref was giving yellows for late challenges to both Portugal and Chile. I feel that if this guy had been in the match against Australia they would have had a couple of red cards.

19. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Man... I hope we at least get a couple of freebie "get out of the red card" fouls in the final after this. Vidal or Medel will probably need one.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Telemundo just pointed out that Germany defeated Mexico June 29th in 2005 within the Confederations Cup.

Germany also defeated Mexico June 29th 1998 to eliminate them from the World Cup.

Hmmm :p

21. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Bravo was buying none of it.

22. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    [​IMG]
    I think Vidal has a lock on the golden ball so far, unless one of the German players stand out in the next 2 games.

23. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Agree on everything but what racism?

24. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    He was poking fun at the African Magdalena que anda por ahí.

elviejomen and Rickdog repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I dunno. If CR7 scores 2 or 3 goals on Sunday and Portugal finish 3rd in a tournament consisting of 4 good teams, it would be epic! [/CR7's PR machine]