FIFA Confederations Cup: Russia 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, May 17, 2017.

1. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    it's probably just a coincidence, but it is kinda weird how the CC winning (powerhouse) team always a finds a way to mess up the following year when they were favorites

Can Germany break the "curse" if they go on and win this tournament? we'll see

Ger90 repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    it's like saying the last 3 Europe winners flopped in the GS in the next WC.

France 1998-GS exit 2002
    Italy 2006-GS exit 2010
    Spain 2010-GS exit 2014

does anyone think Germany will flop in the GS.:p

GrandeSoccer repped this.
  3. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's another thing I've noticed... I highly doubt something like that will happen to Germany though, they've never been that bad

Ger90 repped this.
  4. Hey, while we mustn't be naive enough to consider racism in football over, there's another very possible explanation: Big teams get the calls. We see this every year in tournaments like the Champions League, and I doubt Racism is playing a mayor roll in all the questionable calls that Madrid and Barcelona get.

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This happens in all sports. Referees are only human and they know subconsciously that they get a lot more flak for making some mistakes that see Korea defeating Spain than they would if they make a few mistakes that see Spain defeating Korea.

6. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    For the record I have not denied racism in football. In fact it is still pretty obvious and prevalent, I just don't think that it is fair to put all perceived referee biases under the umbrella of racism, when there are other factors at play such as not wanting to card in the first minutes, helping the local team (everyone's surely benefited of this one at one point or another) or as the previous poster mentioned, simply biased against the bigger "blockbuster" nations... and to prove it I just mentioned I could go back and find poor calls against us in all our world cup appearances. Should I say refs are racists towards our brown players as well?

Brazil have plenty of black and brown players, yet they are still the most successful football nation in the world. Was Pele just a physical specimen? Or is he still widely considered one of the best, if not THE best player ever? At the end of the day, a bad call will always happen to every team at some point or another, VAR will decrease this somewhat, hopefully, but it will not eliminate mistakes. A team has to be mentally ready to overcome bad calls against them IMO, because it's gonna happen no matter what.

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was missing from Brazil's '05 squad besides Ronaldo?

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's a logical explanation, I'd argue that Confed Cup success blinds the coach to changes that must be made if the squad is to compete for the World Cup (case in point: Felipão going all-in on 2014 Fred expecting his 2013 output :eek: ).

GrandeSoccer repped this.
  9. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The reason bigger teams tend to get more calls in their favour is simply a statistical one. Top teams attack more, have more situations in the box and often more posession. As a result the statistical probability for getting free kicks, penalties, corner kicks etc. increases. And yes, that includes the probability of getting controversial decisions in their favour. If Barcelona have 30 attacks in a game that sees them in the opposiition box while Osasuna only have 4 then the likelihood of Barca getting a PK, even a controversial one, is simply much higher.

And then of course there is confirmation bias. Because people think that Barca and Real get favoured they blow every instance of this occurring out of proportion.

unclesox repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cafu and RC. It definitely wasn't a B team. 2003, 2001, 1999 were.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which was the right call at the time, as was sending B-teams to the Copa América - there were simply way too many tournaments getting scheduled in the same WC cycle at that time (including Brazil accepting invites to the Gold Cup).

12. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    This is also true. It also hurts the team with less possession a lot more if call goes against them, than a team that is generating 10 more chances per game. The winning team might not remember a bad call so much if they win in the end, whereas the small team will naturally remember theirs as it was one of the few chances they had.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Were Brasil really favorites in 2010 and 2014, though? I'm pretty sure they weren't. In 2006 they were favorites IIRC, but not overwhelmingly so.

The talk about the CC curse is a bit silly when you consider none of those 3 Brasil teams had more than a 25-30% chance of winning the WC. Furthermore out of the last 5 CC champions, only France did particularly poorly in the WC the following year.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In 2010 we were most definitely favorites with Spain.

15. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wonder with the semifinals starting tomorrow if the matches have to go to penalties, will the penalties be the 'ABBA' system like they used in the U-20 WC?

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    For 2010, Brazil was the top ranked team of the world, with Spain second top ranked team.
    For 2014, Spain was the top ranked team, while Brazil was 11th mainly due to the fact they did not play qualifiers, but they were the Confed Cup Champions by defeating Spain at the final match, together with being hosts, which definitively had them among the favourites to win it all.

And curiously, for both WC's, we got the luck of having to face them both.....

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brazil were favorites in 2014 cause "FIFA"

[​IMG]

18. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    There is a study about that with data from the German Bundesliga. The league records and categorizes every single referee call that was made since the year 2000 as "undoubtedly right", "undoubtedly wrong" and "debatable".
    The study found that smaller teams consistently get more "undoubtedly wrong" calls when compared to bigger teams. Especially in high stakes calls like penalties given.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is also true for other leagues and international tournaments.

Dage repped this.
  19. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The smaller teams get the calls in their favor, or against them?

20. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    If I remember correctly '05 was the first CC dubbed as a dress rehearsal for the WC, And the teams decided to bring their best. Brazil brought what was called the Fab 4 then.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The only reason Ronaldo, RC and Cafu didn't play is because they asked not to play. They wanted to rest.

22. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I for one think that the Portugal style fits directly with Chile´s weakness, counters. Similar to versus Holland in Brazil, that particular set of players and counter style could be very damaging to an offensive Chile. I think if Chile plays calm and not our normal full out attack football, we will win. If not, I think a 1-0 in Portugal's favour could quickly turn 3-0 because of counters.

posteador repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Still a pretty weak-ass curse if you ask me. When something with a 70% (or higher) chance of happening happens, I don't know why 'curse' immediately jumps into people's minds.

24. GrandeSoccer

GrandeSoccer Member+

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Roberto Carlos, Cafu, a few others I think

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I could see this happening.
    All depends on who can score first and how it is officiated. That will dictate the pace and the physical style the rest of the way.