FIFA Confederations Cup: Russia 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, May 17, 2017.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why? For what? You're murican and you want to see Mexicans cry. Only reason I can see is our C team showing the retirement home from Portugal who rulez on this continent one last time. Yeah, as if the last 4 times werent enough. No thanx!

zahzah repped this.
  2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Half expected that example. Have my thoughts on what you posted, but if you want to discuss this further priv me or please come to the Africa forum. Thanks.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This is connected to specific decisions made at this Confederation Cup, unlike two pages of posts about what I said two years ago regarding Ghana vs Germany. If MatthiasSammer decides otherwise - fine.

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have some inside sources in uefa circles ,

Germany has been keen to avoid Portugal at all costs at least until the final . They fear cr7 and William Carvalho.

They paid off uefa to seed them in different groups

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The only form you tried to connect them , is by waving the racism flag, which is highly deplorable.

@Nico Limmat

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    M'k... Sure.
    Why don't you want Germany to win?

7. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    God forbid accusing anyone of racism. In the era of Philando Castile and punishing players for reacting to monkey noises from the crowd we're obviously resolved that issue...

8. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    If Germany desperately wanted to win this Cup they would have picked their best team for a start

zahzah repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #584 celito, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Not only a random example, it's from the same game . Any point you might make is going to be convoluted , but humor me in PM.

The bias is not against African teams, it's typically bias for big teams vs smaller. Think Brazil x Belgium and that disallowed goa in 2002 from Wilmots.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I want Germany to win in 2018. Germany "C" winning, I dont care about

11. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Got to agree. Sick of people always regurgitating the same stuff about African teams. They 'run a lot without thinking', are 'tactically naive' and 'physically strong'. Basically like some braindead jungle animals.

zahzah and posteador repped this.
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's obviously not a priority, but the more high level matches for the young generation of players the better .

zahzah repped this.
  13. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    And as I pointed out, everyone can play that game. I recon I could find unjust calls, questionable cards, penalties for every World Cup Chile have been in. That same World Cup against Italy, Baggio's fabricated handball (ball to hand on Fuentes).

This very cup there seems to be a free ride on fouling Chilean players. Mustafi got away with a late tackle from behind on Vidal just because it was in the opening minutes of a match and followed by a goal from Chile. I'm willing to bet had that same tackle happened later on the match and it had been everyone's favourite thug Vidal he would have received a yellow as a bare minimum.

Don't even get me started on the Aussie's today. We had to take Aranguiz out because of the beating he was receiving out there. They did receive 4 yellow cards and somehow still got off lightly. Vidal got fouled about 8 times before he made his first foul, with an immediate yellow for him obviously (and well deserved IMO) but where was that rigour with the Aussie fouls before that?

I mean it's a slippery slope if you go down the conspiracy route. Not saying there aren't any I certainly know a few. I'll give you these two biases though (not conspiracies, just biases), don't know what everyone else thinks:

1) I've noticed refs will usually avoid carding a player in the opening minutes of a match. They want to keep the match entertaining for the neutral at the expense of justice for as long as possible. I already gave the Mustafi on Vidal example, but see Spain v Netherlands final. De Jong on Alonso. That was a red on any other less important match, or at a later stage in the same match even. De Jong got away with it in spectacular fashion.

2) Home bias. Everyone benefits of this one at one point or another. It has also been scientifically proven that refs are swayed by home crowds subconsciously even if they think they are not. I remember there was an experiment conducted where a large sample of refs were asked to watch the same match and make their calls as it happened. Some of them had to watch it without sound. It was noted there was a significant bias in favour of the home team on those refs who watched it with volume and could listen to the home crowd demanding action.

celito repped this.
  14. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think the most likely explanation is that the ref didn't see Mustafi's foul and instead watched Alexis. It's the only explanation that makes sense to me as it was a terrible foul

15. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Well i expect Chile to beat Portugal quite easily on wednesday if i follow your logic then :D we will see!

Chile got a good team and could win the tournament.

But still it does not change the fact that a C squad from germany can challenge every champ from others confederations.. they can put their 11 best players on rest and still match commebol caf and ofc champs starting XI. That is all.

16. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    But why is that surprising? The big footballing nations have more than 11 good players. A Spanish, Brazilian, Argentinian, French B or C team would beat most other nations

17. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Sure, but that doesn't mean that their "A" team, is capable of doing it better than their "C" teams, neither.

Only thing you could say over this, is that their team has a very big depth, where missing any of their players will not affect much their game. Which is great, as not many teams in the world can really do that (for sure, we can't).

posteador repped this.
  18. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Portugal had both Pepe and Raphael Gurreiro (by far their top 2 defenders) I'd be confident of them beating Chile, they'd sit back and smash Chiles open defense and midfield on the counter with William launching Bernardo Silva, Andre Silva, Ronaldo.

Now it's Fonte-Alves up against a fast paced transitional attack....and most likely Andre Gomes will be starting.

This is going to be wild ride of a game.

Santos will most likely make Portugal play extremely cautious and sit back to cover the weakened backline.

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    "B"

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS...Germans don't believe in curses unless Italy is involved :D

unclesox and zahzah repped this.
  21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's really a matter of subjectivity. "B" or "C" are both acceptable answers IMO.

zahzah repped this.
  22. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Confederation rankings after group stage

1. Champions of UEFA
    2. World Champions
    3. CONCACAF Champions
    4. CONMEBOL Champions
    5. Hosts
    6. AFC Champions
    7. CAF Champions
    8, OFC Champions

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Dage, posteador and zahzah repped this.
  24. Nicola777

Nicola777 Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Their A team is 10 times better than this one...you can't put the players involved in this confederation cup at neuer hummels boateng kroos ozil muller level...only kimmich and emre can might be starters in 2018.

Nightcrawler repped this.
  25. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    #600 posteador, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    I wouldn't be so sure either way, it's not like Messi, Agüero, Di Maria and Higuain were a weak attack either. And their defence were no slouches. Everyone blames the rest of the team, but it wasn't the defence that let down Argentina in the two finals against us, after all, we couldn't break them, just as they couldn't break us. We didn't have a Götze to bring on at extra time.

I certainly hope we can capitalise on Pepe not playing, I thought he was their best player in the Euro's. I know for sure we would be much weaker without Vidal and.or Alexis. I heard recently that around 70% of our goals the las couple of years have involved Vidal and/or Alexis in the build-up play.