FIFA Club World Cup: Qatar 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 25, 2019.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Judging by the team that Liverpool put out against Aston Villa earlier this week, I'd say that's pretty false. Obviously if your club is not in it, you don't care. But if they are, it matters quite a bit more than the league cup.

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to disagree with you on this one, as there are three significant differences between 2016 and now:

1. With all due respect to Al-Hilal, América had a tougher opponent: Libertadores champs Atlético Nacional ended up getting run over by Kashima after they arrived shell-shocked from witnessing the Chapecoense tragedy, and their presence in the 3rd-place match changed the equation for América.

2. América was trying to win 3rd place in the CWC for the first time, while Monterrey have already scaled that mountain.

3. Monterrey now has the option of learning from América's experience: the latter's decision to go for it in Japan arguably cost them the chance to grab the advantage over Tigres in the first leg of the Liga MX Apertura final at the Azteca. Of course, it's all counterfactual, but I can understand why Turco would prioritize another league title (and catching up with archrivals Tigres) at this point.

And the FA Cup (see: Man Utd in 2000).

3. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Like I said this Liverpool team is full of Brazilians and other nationals that is why the club are taking it seriously

4. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    São Paulo, Liverpool had 3 goals disallowed if var was around Liverpool would of won

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ouch! Not the same, imo.
    I remember when this decision was made. It was VERY controversial and had little to do with the 'prestige' of the World Club title. (They had just won the Intercontinental Cup one month prior to that World Club tournament.)
    To my memory, United were 'encouraged' by the English FA to withdraw from the FA Cup and play in that World Club tournament because England were bidding to host the 2006 World Cup and the FA felt that if United declined World Club participation it would hurt their chances of winning the bid.
    Okay, yes. England ended up losing the 2006 bid anyway. But I recall their entry to host the World Cup was controversial from the start. It had to do with their hosting of Euro 96. Germany claimed that an agreement had been made that the DFB would vote for England to host Euro 96 on the condition that England not bid for the 2006 World Cup, which Germany were aiming for. Something along those lines. I just remember the DFB being quite upset when England claimed no such agreement existed when they announced their own bid for 2006.
    With that controversy on the minds of many, the FA felt they needed to reduced any further damage to their bid as much as possible. Thus they had Manchester United withdraw from the FA Cup and travel to Brazil for a tournament the club likely had no interest in playing.
    That's how I remember it all, anyway.
    Very different scenario from Liverpool's participation in the League Cup today.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    France? I think you mean the Netherlands (a French club has yet to play in the CWC.)

I can see the cultural connection with Spain, Portugal and Italy and considered that when pulling the stats together. But like you pointed out, that doesn't explain the vastly superior record of Germany and the Netherlands over England in the CWC.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #257 Nico Limmat, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    And yet some "pundits" will have you believe that Liverpool prioritizing the CWC over the League Cup is once again a favor to the English FA to not put the 2030 UK/Ireland bid in jeopardy. :ROFLMAO:

All I know is one thing. England's CWC record is so poor it cannot be explained away. Two out of ten is abysmal. End of. It would even be poor for off-season scrimmages. Let's see if Liverpool can start a corrective path or if the success rate falls below 20% tomorrow!

It's called FOOTBALL and locoxriver repped this.
  8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be the last time the FA would resort to embarrassing lobbying campaigns to no avail :ROFLMAO:

Fair.

unclesox repped this.
  9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hear what you’re saying.
    At the time I quite liked that United were participating in the tournament.
    But what I didn’t like about that tournament was (a) they had just played the Intercontinental Cup and United were, in essence, asked to defend their ‘world title’ just one month later, and (b) the defending South American champs that United defeated in Japan didn’t participate so why should the defending European champs have bothered?
    I realize FIFA recognizes that tournament as ‘official’ but I personally don’t give it much credence given the Intercontinental Cup was played in both 1999 and 2000.
    And I’m not looking forward to the revamped version at all.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    BS. Only 1 of those goals was barely onsides. The other 2 were clearly offsdies. Liverpool dominated the game, but they were really incompetent with their shooting. Their shooting was quite horrible.

cigar_city and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  11. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown

Well, Paul agrees with you, but in my opinion, yall don't stretch them to pens if you weren't battle tested in Japan the week prior. I think they beat you in 180 if there was no CWC that year. But it's all conjecture and speculation.

I agree with unclesox that the 2000 version was weird and unnecessary. The IC was just a month prior, there was no need for a redo. Good thing we've had this format eventually for 15 years, and I'll still hold on to that sliver of hope that they'll come to their senses and bin the new one, and continue this one, even if it means giving the Euro team a bye directly to the Final, I'd have no problem with that. Have the other champs eliminate each other until 1 is left to face the CL winner. A bracket of 4, with the OFC champ having to play-in to join em.

The LFC twitter has been thoroughly invaded by Flamengo supporters, it's pretty hilarious

1207438583885381638 is not a valid tweet id

It's gonna be epic, the 2 megatitans of world sport: the Champion of Europe vs the Champion of South America. How could you not be hyped

And to think we could have a Final of 2 non champions against each other if the new farce happens. Not even nonchamps, but teams that didn't even play in their CLs. Just ridiculous, it has to fall apart, this is a half century tradition they are trying to ruin.

unclesox repped this.
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #263 verde-rubro, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2019
    You would say that...

MOD NOTE: This is not the World Rivalries you are looking for. - Paul Calixte

14. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Just like the rest of top English clubs who have like four domestic players. No clubs would prioritize secondary domestic cup over FIFA trophy.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #265 celito, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2019
    Offsides #1 @3:09 (very close but not offsides)
    Offsides #2 @7:55 (rightly given, clear )
    Offsides #3 @9:39 (rightly given, but very close)

What's there to discuss ? Good try.

Gerrard had a very nice FK saved. But overall Liverpool's shooting wasn't good. Like the chance he wasted at @5:59. Later in the game he took a shot from outside the box straight at the GK. They also did have a nice header though.

I probably exaggerated by saying the shooting was quite horrible, but for all the dominance, I think Ceni had 3 saves overall in the game.

cigar_city repped this.
  16. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Al-Hilal leads Monterrey 1-0 as of the 41st minute.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL Cárdenas pulled a Ricardo :ROFLMAO:

And Monterrey finish 3rd with their B-team! Someone check on @Nico Limmat - he must be fuming Souness-style :D

18. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  19. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Is this gonna be on TV Live in the US? Fox Sports 2 says only at 5PM...and Fox says basketball will be on. WTF???

cigar_city repped this.
  20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deportivo Saprissa finished third in 2005. In the 14 CWCs since that all had Mexican clubs, this is the third time Concacaf finished third. In the 11 CWCs from 2006 through 2016, Concacaf's only third was by Monterrey in 2012. In the last 3 CWCs, Concacaf had Pachuca third in 2017 and Monterrey third now. Furthermore, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_Club_World_Cup_participants Monterrey is the first club outside UEFA and CONMEBOL to have two finishes in the top three.

jared9999 repped this.
  21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Indeed! Very annoyed that Monterrey's approach has paid off. I will now shamelessly root for las Águilas in the Liguilla final. :D

Paul Calixte and SixKick repped this.
  22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Nah, until a CONCACAF club reaches the final that honor will remain with Necaxa. Drew Manchester United and beat Real Madrid for third place. The 2000 edition is fondly remembered by exactly two fan-bases. Corinthians and Necaxa. :D

And now for the big final...

23. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #273 verde-rubro, Dec 21, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Ref is crap it should of been a pen for Liverpool

24. Toguchi

Toguchi Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Dec 1, 2019
    Belo Horizonte
    Good first part for Flamengo. Liverpool was pressed.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    HT: Liverpool - Flamengo 0:0

Liverpool started strong and had two good opportunities with Firmino and Keita. Then Flamengo took charge of the match and while they haven't had any clear-cut chances they look capable of scoring. In particular Bruno Henrique looked threatening.

Liverpool will not break their curse playing like this.