FIFA ban international matches at high altitude.

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by El CHarro_NEgro...., May 27, 2007.

1. Bermele

Bermele Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is ultimate injustice at its best. Thanks a lot FIFA, whatever happened to making Football the "world Game" huh? Football and all sports are for the whole world, not just for those living at sea level. If FIFA manage to ruin the beautiful game like this, it will be a clear sing of Blatter's ambition for money without caring about the consequences. What will come next? Ban matches at high altitude in copa libertadores? and then Ban Domestic league matches at high altitude? This is complete bogus....
    Player's health? what about games at extreme cold? what about games at extreme heat?(a lot of players have died from this already)...I am very angry at this measure... i hope that those of you who have never lived in a high altitude city understand the injustice of this decision.

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    If FIFA is consistent it will now ban games played in combinations of high heat and humidity, and perhaps high smog levels too...

3. Bermele

Bermele Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Home field advantage is one of the most important elements during any football game, and in other sports too.
    People that were born or live in high altitude cities didn't really have a choice, that's just the way their country is. It's something natural and unchangeable, it's something that belongs to the inhabitants of the city. Citizens of high altitude cities have the right to play games in their city. Why don't we ban games at stadiums of high capacity? clearly the atmosphere is much more intimidating to the visitor team than in a small capacity stadium. If anyone disagrees with me please go ahead and say it, because I'm clearly frustrated by the lack of justice that this decision will make, but clearly I'm biased, so if anyone thinks I'm wrong, go ahead and give me a less-biased argument. thank you

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you really just use "FIFA" and "consistent" in the same sentence?

5. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They're corrupt organization...they get shot if they mean what they said.

6. Passage

Passage Member

Feb 25, 2007
    USA
    Very, very dumb.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This rule is elitist and utter crap. Blatter's a freeking idiot.

8. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    I bet this is Brazil and Argentina flexing their muscles. They aren't so super in Bolivia and Ecuador.

Take notes, baseball.

9. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Right. This may be the stupidest FIFA decision yet. Though there have been so many....

10. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I am an Argentina fan and this this is pure BS. Countries should be able to host whereever the hell they want. I know some Brazilian club team was bitching, but I do not think a couple of high altitude games for Bra or Arg NTs matter in the long run. They will still qualify and and are the most likely to pick up points at high altitude.

Fifa and whomever is complaining should open up their wallets and fund a new national stadium for Bolivia and whomever else is affected. They should also provide transportation from La Paz to the new stadium so the public can still support their team. Or better yet, fund a state of art pressurized stadium in La Paz.

And I echo the fact that players have died from heat, not from altitude. And how far is FIFA willing to go to make things "fair". Perhaps Brazil population advantage is unfair, we need to address that. What about the German height advantage, we must mandate 5 German field players less that 6ft tall.

I wonder if the countries affect would have any recourse in international law.

11. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Take THAT Bolivia!

Blatter is full of s***.

12. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this is a good thing or not - I cannot make my mind up. One part of me is thinking that this is a good idea because you just don't know; altitude sickness can affect anybody - it doesn't matter about your level of fitness. Take it from me; I am out in Colorado at least twice a year visiting family and there are times when I really feel the altitude. Denver isn't so bad, but get above the tree line at 9K or 10K feet and you can get very short of breath and even minimally exerting yourself can become harder the higher you go.

From a football point of view it is not a good idea because any chance that any of these countries would have to host an under 21 World Cup, for which FIFA seems to favor the smaller countries would be lost. Countries such as Equador or Bolivia, because of the altitude limit, would lose the chance to host any major international tournament.

It would be interesting to see what Conmebol has to say about this.

simon t

13. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Blatter is an idiot. This was obviously aimed at South America... in order to satiate complaints from Brazil and Argentina. :rolleyes:

14. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    And it's retarded as well. It's not like Argentina and Brazil need any help, they already have the best players.

15. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    It's lucky he chose 2500m, Mexico City's at 2250. We don't want any important countries put out by this ruling.

J

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yeah, lucky :rolleyes:

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I actually think it is a good idea. Bolivia and Ecuador are virtually unbeatable at home because of this. Why should they get an added advantage that virtually no other team in the world gets, especially if it can be dangerous to a player. And people can't try and tell me that they do not purposely arrange matches in as high atltitude as they possibly can knowing it will totally effect the visiting team.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I disagree. Teams should be able to host matches anywhere within their national boundaries they choose. If they deliberately choose a stadium where altitude gives them an advantage, so be it.

Furthermore, I don't think Brasil or Argentina cares all that much about Bolivia, especially considering that the other seven teams have to play a match there as well. If there's evidence that they've been involved in influencing Blatter on this issue, I apologize in advance.

19. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    No they have only become "unbeatable" at home in the last decade or so. Funny how the altitude did not matter before when they had poor teams.

20. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Only through the course of this last Copa Libertadores two Brazilians teams (Flamengo and Parana) complained about playing in high altitude against Real Potosi of Bolivia. Brazilians and Argentines have historically complained about the altitude, even though (like someone else said) their performance in high altitude, historically, hasn't been bad. They bitch because it's mostly inconvenient for them to play in these conditions (as if it wasn't for everyone else?).

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fair enough. But the Soccernet article says Blatter is referring to international matches. So why wouldn't the rule apply to domestic matches as well? I mean, if you're not a native of the region, I'd think you'd be susceptible to being short of breath, whether you play club ball there or not. Are all Boilivian clubs located in cities with high altitude?

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Over half the league which means eight teams would have to play Libertadores or Sudamericana away from home. I guess FIFA doesn't give a shit if our own players drop dead.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think you're right.

If the article is accurate, the rule is designed (on paper, anyhow) to prevent just what you're describing- but only on the international level. The domestic competitions will still involve play at extreme altitude, and clubs will continue to suffer, if in fact they ever did.

Sad as I am to say it, it does sound like they're responding to complaints from Argentina and Brasil rather than acting out of concern for footballers as a whole.

24. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Stupid Blatter. Why not make it 2000 m? I guess he didn't want to do that because they know they would ban the Azteca, the the only stadium Mexico can win games in. Damn it Blatter, If you're gonna create a rule, at least make it right for others too.