FIFA 2006 is great

Discussion in 'Games' started by kerowack, Oct 6, 2005.

1. bda52

bda52 Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
  2. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Read? For what? Dont you know me by now that you know my comment was sarcastic? Sorta Kinda :D

3. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My .02

I've been away from FIFA for a few years (didn't have a console altogether), and just recently purchased FIFA '06.

After kind of being underwhelmed by this game, I have to say that I really like it now.

I think the best thing is that there are so many ways to score a goal, which is really what alot of the other FIFA games lacked. You either had to be up close, or outside the 18, depending on the game. I scored one last night where I basically tripped over the keeper and rolled the ball through the goal. Not impressive, but they all count the same.

It also takes the right touch to score, in that you can't just blast it home from 10 yards away every time...you stand a better chance by picking power over placement.

The different crossing options are nice, too (floor, aerial, early). My favorite, though, is using the through ball button on a breakaway, pulling it back to the middle when you are on the wing. It looks so sharp!

Also, now that I finally figured out that you must use the right analog stick on FK's, I really like the FK set up. Having to aim your shot, set the height, and determine the pace of the shot based on distance, makes it feel less arbitrary...like when you miss it, it's your fault, and not just the CPU being lame.

I've also noticed that the AI will try and kill off the game if they have a late lead, and not just play the same.

A few things that bother me (can't be perfect apparently), the CPU never substitutes unless injured! That would make the game more interesting, and realistic. Also, the CPU seems to have a much easier time tackling you off the ball than you do them. Kind of annoying. Other than that, I would say this is probably the most realistic FIFA game I've played. Especially with all the features like first touch, holding the ball up, playing the ball into space on a long run, etc.

4. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    :rolleyes: Hey I liked it so much I actually bought the pc version. Hey 20 bucks, feels like it'll be a different experience on the pc. We'll see ;)

5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question

How do I play on the Internet

I have 06 on my PC

Thanks

6. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wasplaying against a friend the other day, and there was the weirdest glitch I've seen.
    I shot so wide that the ball nearly went out for a throw in, and then suddenly the commentator was going wild and saying 'brilliant goal' and my players were celebrating, and it counted, and I was 1-0 up!:eek:

7. Dirk_DeYoung

Dirk_DeYoung New Member

May 27, 2006
    Has anyone had a chance to play FIFA 2006 World Cup Germany? I've been playing the game for a few weeks and love it. It's definitely a huge step up for EA and better than FIFA 2006.

I came across a really great interview with the producer who was responsible for creating the new game. He discussed how they added new features, etc. It really gave me a lot of insight into the footie video game series, and is the only interview I've ever heard on the topic.

anyway, check it out at www.epltalk.com

Later,
    Dirk

8. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Something like that happened to me once. I was playing the computer and their shot bent a few inches wide of the post and it was called a goal! I was pretty mad because I think it was a UEFA match. I went back and looked at it from every angle in instant replay and there was no way it went in.:eek:

9. toulousain

toulousain Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Toulouse, France
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Where can I find the entire list of the FIFA 2006 teams ?

10. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I have its ok. the world cup 2002 for its time was better

much better

11. Elianto

Elianto New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    I hate it! They're all the same...try to beat me at PIXABOY Mundial, that's a game!!! F*****g combos!!! I can't manage'm!!!

12. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    ** BUMP **

I have bought FIFA 2002-2005, but skipped 2006. I am thinking of buying 2007, but only if the main gripes I had with 2005 were fixed in 2006. Please let me know if these and/or similar problems still exist in teh 2006 version. They are...

1. When you score a goal, very often the opposing team will score straight from the kickoff. You cannot touch the ball, you cannot defend. Even trying to stop them by making a vicious tackle from behind does not work.

2. Rebounds almost always go straight to attackers. Also, when there is an aerial rebound and you have a defender there, the attacker almost always wins the ball. I have had Damarcus Beasley win a header over John Terry in a situation like this.
    2a. When a player is putting home a rebound,
    he always slides to get to it, even if he doesn't
    need to. Not crucial, but irritating.

3. In the 4-3-3 formation, the wing forwards NEVER come back to help defensively. Also, you cannot make one midfielder play more defensively than the others. In my season with Chelsea, Makalele scored more goals than Lampard out of the 4-3-3. I want to play with a true DM.

4. The announcers are dumbasses. You could be down 5-0 and then score in the 88th, and they'll say "that just might be one of the most crucial goals he'll score!" You can be in 3rd place, 9 points behind with one match to play and they'll say "that goal is irrelevant, because they've already clinched the league title."

5. You CANNOT score from outside the box unless your shot is deflected.

6. Players' individual attributes are not well done at all. Thierry Henry scores from headers all the time. So does Damarcus Beasley. WTF?

7. Defenders will leave their marks when there is no reason for them to do so. Midfielders do not follow their marks into the box when the CPU midfielders make runs. The CBs often drift out wide for a sequence of play, but then don't come back inside. You'll end up with Paulo Ferreira playing CB and John Terry playing out right, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

8. Almost all of the CPU's goals go into exactly the same place in the net. Upper corner, about a yard inside the post. Never side netting, never on the ground.
    8a. The computer scores headers from some ridiculous areas. A player could be facing away from goal at the corner of the 18 and flick a cross into the top corner with ridiculous pace and precision. The keeper just stands there picking his nose, then dives and misses.

9. The positions players take up on set pieces seem completely arbitrary. Why is Cristiano Ronaldo marking Brian McBride while Rio Ferdinand marks Luis Boa Morte on a corner kick? Why is Claude Makalele making a run into the box on a FK, when John Terry is sitting on the halfway line? I want to be able to tell my players who should be where.

Can anyone tell me if problems such as these have been fixed? Thank you, and sorry for the long post.

13. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You mean you havent tried Fifa World Cup 06? Its kicks Fifa 06's ass ;)