FIFA 2006 is great

Discussion in 'Games' started by kerowack, Oct 6, 2005.

1. VON9905

VON9905 New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Huntsville, AL, USA

Speaking of, and I really hate to change the subject away from the penis envy that is going on currently, but Christian Miles really makes my skin crawl with they way he speaks. He is so fake. He actually called it 'football' during this past weekends MLS playoff game on FSC - yes Fox SOCCER Channel, not FFC. What made it even worse was after he said it, he sounded like one of the EPL announcers when he said, or 'soccer' as people say here in the States. FC Dallas is stupid, too, but I can deal with it because you only here FC and not really the word football, so I just tune it out mostly. The only football team in Dallas is the Cowboys. While I am on a rant I just want to mention that it is simply MLS. There is no 'the' before it. Kinda like MLB.

- Von

2. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    What's so wrong with calling it football? Or FC Dallas? It might confuse someone for a nano-second but is it worth getting upset over? It's the traditional, accepted name of the sport for a vast amount of people across the globe.
    If Christian Miles uses it as an affectation, that is a bit sad but I don't think it's worth spitting your dummy over.
    Are you seriously advocating that because American Football is more popular, to call soccer football is somehow wrong in the US?

3. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Here is an interesing quote I read the other day in FourFourTwo magazine:

"You could make the argument that "football" is just about any game played with feet and a ball.Versions of it exist all around the world.American Football,Australian Rules Football,Rugby Football-they're all games played with a ball at your feet,although some allow varying amounts of help from heads and hands."Soccer" is a diminution of "Association Rules"and refers specifically to the game played by the rules set down by the English Football Association."

So I guess technically football is just when playing with no rules or with different rules than the English Football Association made. When the game is played under the rules made by the English Football Association,it is technically soccer?

4. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How do I play FIFA '94? I have the XBOX version...

5. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You mean that's only a PS2 feature? Dammit!!

7. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I love this game. I've already completed one season with St. Etienne and will be back for another. Hopefully, we won't have as many injuries.

8. Milkman

Milkman New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm "unlucky" if I have more than two injuries in a year. There really aren't many injuries at all. In fact I always carry the minimum sized squad (18 outfield players).

To make it more realistic there should be the possibility of players picking up injuries during training (between games) or injuries appearing after games ("so and so picked up a knock during the last game").

Also morale shouldn't be so damn hard to keep up. My team finished second in the league last year but all my reserves have 0 morale, and the ones who are playing are averaging about 45.

9. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    In my past season, I had two season-ending injuries (one guy is actually still not back this season), and a few month-long injuries.

10. ndot

ndot New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    Australia
    i've been playing this for a week or two now...keep in mind i'm a non-gamer... i've played PES a little bit but basically the thing i love most about fifa is playing with famous clubs and players... without that playing a soccer game is pointless to me. here's my opinion on fifa 06 thus far (the only previous versions i've played are 04 and 05)

the good:
    - graphics are slightly better
    - gameplay is more realistic than 05
    - the tactics/team mentality... it was such a pain in the ass changing mentality in 05 that i rarely bothered to do it... big improvement
    - more formations
    - you can actually score occasionally from outside the box... yeah i know you could in 05, but for me it was an absolute rarity
    - ability to edit players
    - being able to save replays... this is great for when you score freakish goals that you wont to relive later lol
    - the music is better (but after 05 it couldnt be worse)

the bad:
    - still no holland team
    - sometimes you get fouled near goal and aren't given the option to cross (only shoot)
    - the passing, maybe i'm just yet to master it but passes FREQUENTLY go in the wrong direction. particularly when you run to get a ball near the boundary and try to pass it inwards, instead the player just kicks it out of bounds and you lose possession.. very annoying
    - passing back to the keeper, again maybe i'm doing something wrong but NUMEROUS times when you try this the player just taps the ball into open space then your opponant runs on to gather the ball and scores
    - own goals... FAR too many own goals (mostly by the CPU)... but it ruins the realism because you dont see so many own goals in real life
    - too many red cards

but all in all, i love this game... i'm sure my opinion, likes/dislikes will change as i play it more... but overall i'm quite pleased with it. definite improvement.

11. CRonaldo_07

CRonaldo_07 New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    What I miss the most is in fifa 2002 you can QF for the world cup, I really want that back..

12. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In both these situations, use through pass, and always flick the left analog stick in the direction you want to pass.

13. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    I like it. The only problem im having is some of the dribbling moves. On 05 you could tap the right analog and preform a kinda side step to get around defenders. Seems harder this time around. Is the handball call just for the xbox version? i couldnt belive it, nice touch of reality to fifa.

14. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    This will not happen for the foreseeable future. Nothing to do with EA. The KNVB (?) - Dutch FA essentially - won't allow the rights.

15. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, that's because that was a World Cup year.

As far as passing, you actually have to AIM your pass, and put the appropriate amount of power on it to get it to the player you want.

I think you can cross on free kicks, if you hit the cross button instead of the shoot button (and aim well away from the goal).

16. R9magia

R9magia New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Do they have WCQ in 2006??This is a WC year.

17. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, ********, you got me.

But really, who cares? Just buy the ********ing world cup game if you want to do that.

18. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    my beefs with FIFA right now:

transfers. I tried to get Adriano. I'm playing as Derby, halfway through my 4th season. Have Derby in the Prem, have won 3 FA Cups in a row and two UEFA Cups and am sitting 3rd in the Prem. He doesn't sign with Derby because Derby are not prestigious enough. Who does he sign for you ask? Walsall, they are in League 1. wtf?

freekicks: i've asked this every year recently, why the ******** can I not move players while the computer is taking a freekick (when they are not taking a shot from the FK).

commentary: is it real hard to make sure the commentary for the end/beginning of the matches is correct? I'm tired of hearing about how my team is through the next round of the cup (UEFA Cup, Champs League, or other 2 legged cup tie) when there are still more games to play and advancement is no guarnteed. Also, I'm sick of hearing how my team is just playing out the last few games because they are champions even though I'm in 3rd place with 3 games left and like 12 points from 1st.

celebrations: same goal celebtrations from FIFA 1998. Also, will it kill FIFA to get a decent Cup winning/league winning graphic? All the celebration of a Cup or league win is one of the goal celebrations followed by players clapping over their heads, and a little pose for a group pic. How about getting the medals and trophy and taking a lap of honor.

other then that I like the game. 5th season as Derby, taken them from 3 stars to 4.5 stars, 7 star manager (two chevrons). Should win the Prem this year. still in all the other comps.

19. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    It is better than last year's game.

20. Blackmail

Blackmail New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I just got it for Christmas for the gamecube. I have played WE8 and I think WE8 is a better game. OK now that I put that qualifier in there I must say that I think FIFA 2006 is a really good game, way better than previous versions. It still has some flaws that bother me, it still isn't as good as WE but for people like me who only has a gamecube then FIFA is a nice alternative finally.

21. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    the flaws are kind of annoying, every now and then a player will just jump from a completely different spot on the screen. i haven't gotten a goal when its not supposed to be a goal though

22. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    is that a joke?? of course, its common sence, if its not a god shot to go in then its not going to be a goal.. lol

23. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    dude.

catch up on the thread. You'll see what's up. ;)

24. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ya i guess ur right i should, but way to much to read, so when i loked at it im like wtf

25. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    :D .