FIFA 08 vs Pro Evolution Soccer 2008?

Discussion in 'Games' started by BerlinKopKid, Sep 25, 2007.

1. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany
    In my opinion FIFa 08 won this round against PES 2008. I was a die hard PEs player until this one. IN pes 2008 nothing seems realistic anymore the ball is practically glued to the ground and the players move like they are runinng with a stick in their ass.

FIFA 08 animations are smooth, the player models are very realistic and behave very realistic. The best addition is that you can actually tweak the gameplay. This means that you can choose pass assistance or to pass manual wich is a lot harder than PES. At first it seems that the game doesnt flow but when you get more familiar with it, the game really shines and it does feel like a real football game.

BTW: Im talking about the XBOX 360 version. The PC version is as always total crap and stands no chance against PES 2008.

2. nymetrobulls

nymetrobulls New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that really seperates the two games for me are the licensing issue. I love the fact that FIFA has all leagues of importance in it. The only thing about it that got me mad was they still don't have the rights to use the official Napoli logos and kits.

3. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When does PES 08 release in the States?

4. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany
    In February i think. But i would strongly advise you to rent it before you buy it.

5. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    march 5, at least what i've been told.

every year someone says rent it before you buy it, but WE/PE hasn't let me down yet.

6. Fourskyn

Fourskyn New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pes 2008 absolutely rips fifa08. You have no idea how frustrated i am with fifa08. Everything about it is just argh!!! When i first got it for 360 i was like wow this game is great, pes can eat dust! Thats when i decided that i wanted to play a few games as my local club, Melbourne Victory. Thats when it went downhill and when all the faults of the game just appeared. Try to through pass the ball to a striker in position? Absolutely not going to happen, hes just gonna pass it the legs of another striker. Wanna dribble around a defender? Not gonna happen, the defender is just gonna steal it from between your legs. ARGH!:mad: Is there a threat where i can vent my anger for fifa08? or will i have to make a fifa haters thread? This game is going right back to EB. And when some happless fool thinking "WOW! It has the A-league! I'll be able to play as Archie Thompson and score 5 goals against Adelaide!" goes to buy it, ill be standing right next to the game saying "Not gonna happen kiddo, not gonna happen."

7. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love PES. The only thing I don't like about the game, is that you can't move players from one team to the other, such as Hargreaves from Bayern to Man. United in the 07 version.

8. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    for x box 360, right?

most games are limited for the most recent consoles.

9. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, XBOX 360.. I like the game play, but not the lack of ability to move players to their perspective teams..

10. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    yes not being able to edit was a big thing for the xbox 360.

PE for the ps2 is supposed to be the one with the most features, which is why i plan on getting it for ps2 instead of wii, although i'm thinking about getting it for both.

11. perucho79

perucho79 New Member

Dec 2, 2004
    Monumental
    I like PES better han FIFA, even though FIFA08 has great graphicsand it improved from the previous ones...But I just cant get used to it, it doest give me the same adictivness like PES/WE does, I have FIFA08 for PS3 and began playing it and after 1 week I got fed up of it, lot of things get me mad on fifa08 examples: most of the games are played the same stadiums, you always deal with superman goalkeepers:mad:, no player celebration a lifting the cup after a championship,no rain,no clowdy days,players dont look realistic, limited stadiums,the menus are a little confusing,no ref on the field!

anyways with that been said I stopped playing it yesterday and began to play NHL08 until PES2008 comes out here in Canada in March

12. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Always been PES for me since "'ISS Pro 98"

They're always been better.

In terms of license, sound and graphics FIFA is better. But in terms of gameplay, Pro Evo is miles ahead. It's just a much more intelligent game and more true to football.

FIFA has always had that thing, were the first few games you think it's great. Then you find it repetative.

13. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    yeah, good point Pigs. BTW do you know how to loan out players from your rooster in PES2008? I have a couple of promising kids who i cant afford to give playing time.

14. Blitzwing

Blitzwing New Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Sydney
    PES no question IMO, I have had FIFA 08' for about 2 months on my PS3, and just downloaded the new PES demo today and already the game play seems miles better.

Also most of the player models are awful in FIFA 08' at least in PES they actually resemble their real life counterparts.

Definitely going to buy the new PES some time this week.

15. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There are two transfer windows. So you have to wait for the negotiation period.

I've not loaned in or loaned players out, but I can imagine you just go to "Negotiations". Click on "My team", click on the player you want to loan out, and "Enter Team Player For Possible Transfer". Then you change their transfer status to Loan.

I'm not in the negotiation period yet. Otherwise I'd have a look myself. I haven't really thought of loaning players out.

If you want to develop youngsters that you aren't confident in playing. Then at least bring them on as a sub in the 88th minute. Even in injury time a player will gain experience points. You should always use up your subs even in injury time.

The other thing is at the end of the season. Pick 8 friendly pre-season matches. Have them at five minute games. Choose all your youngsters. There is also a training feature in pre-season which is similar to "conditioning" players before a match. Make sure you pick a training session when it is available, this will be every week. This will develop your youngsters a lot.

16. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Having played both on the PS3, I'd have to say that Fifa is better this time round.

PES has many problems:

1. Slowdown. It should be renamed Slow Evo. Every now and again the game slows down to a crawl. Utterly unacceptable.

2. You have quick free kicks (rarely), but no quick throw ins or goal kicks.

3. An invisible box around throw-ins. Don't the programmers even know the rules?

4. Shit crowds. They never sing, and when you score a goal all you hear is a faint murmour.

5. The referee blowing his whistle for everything, and instantly. Even every throw-in. When you score a goal, the first thing you hear is the whistle before the ball's even hit the back of the net. Ten times louder than the crowd.

6. Poor graphics. The grass beyond the byline seems to be a lower resolution than the pitch!

7. Crap camera angles. Unlike Fifa where you can generally see everything you want, on Pro Evo everyone you want to pass to is off the screen, even with the widest camera angle selected. Instead of seeing players in the box, you see a third of a screen full of adverts and crowds.

8. Speaking of crowds, they look washed out and pixelated. Rubbish.

9. Hardly any stadiums, and the ones they do have aren't very impressive. Even Fifa's made up lower division stadiums look better than Pro Evo's San Siro and Nou Camp...sorry 'Catalonia Stadium'. Fifa's stadiums are awesome, at Old Trafford or the Millenium Stadium it's like you're watching on TV. For some bizarre reason, the PS2 version has more stadiums... They couldn't even get the rights to a stadium in Sierra Leone.

10. You can't decide whether to play at night or day.

11. The music. Jesus it's bad. I mean, techno? Ffs.

12. Too easy to dribble down the wings. From most kickoffs I just pass it wide and run down to the byline, and put a decent cross in most times.

13. Tackling is dire. Even with the tackle and closing down buttons held in, and two of my players hassling the player on the ball, he can run right down the pitch, into my box and get a shot off.

14. Facing penalties from the goalkeeper's perspective. Oh dear...

15. Abysmal commentary. It doesn't even look like they've recorded the teams' names. "That was great play by the defence" etc.

16. The main menu is ridiculous, who the hell thought that up? It doesn't help that every other menu in the game is in a different position. Stupid menu selection noises as well.

17. The players look crap close up, especially the kits.

18. Wayward passing. You press towards a player and press pass, he passes it somewhere completely different and less advantageous, sometimes even to an opposition player.

17. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the new pro evo isn't even out yet and i know for fact it takes entirely more skill to play pro evolution better then fifa

fifa has no direct ball control i hate fifa 08 on 360 is a far better improvement i considered buying it

but the mls no one looks like them look at the rapids? Gomez looks white has no real facial features

i buy pro evolutin and a max drive wait a couple weeks or months for someone to make a mls option file every
    player looks like them jerseys look better

pro evo has way better game play split second to make a move it's made me better on fifa
    plus u can edit anything you want stadiums players entire teams jerseys shoes

you can't do that on fifa

fifa has fancy stuff but doesn't focus on what its really like on the pitch

pro evo took me like 2 years to get decently good sure i don't find many people who play pes but even when i play fifa aganist friends hwo only play fifa i trash them 10 - 15 goal games thats so unrealistic if i wanted to play madden i would

18. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I'm not buying that. The controls are pretty much identical on both games in the 08 versions. The difference is that fifa is like a complete, polished game whereas pro evo is like a work in progress that they released before they'd finished it.

19. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    How can the controls be identical when you have no control over your player in FiFa ?

Fifa 08 is a sluggish, non responisve mess !! If you dribble down the pitch without holding down turbo, the defenders will let you progress, but as soon as you press turbo they swarm you. Pretty pathetic. The player animations are a joke, the goalkeepers are on steroids, and the only thing i can find that makes this game worth playing are the licensing rights. But even then i would perfer to edit my leagues, teams, and players on pro ev instead. I find it more fun to edit teams on Pro ev than play a match on Fifa.

20. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I think you're suffering from blind loyalty to the Pro Evo brand. The latest version is a mess and you all know it, but can't admit it. You can't even play Pro Evo online because it keeps freezing up and then restarting with the ball 80 yards down the pitch. Even the camera angle makes the game unplayable as you can't see where you're trying to pass or cross to. Plus it keeps slowing down. You can't deny any of these issues.

21. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    No blind loyalty here. Hell, Fifa was my first love when it came to football videogames...but.. Pro ev won me over with its smooth flowing gameplay. Its funny how ea always tries to implement something from the winning eleven franchise in their new editions..i guess imitation is the best form of flattery.

22. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA is just to unrealistic and way to easy.

23. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I'd say Pro Evo is just as unrealistic. For example it's too easy to dribble down the pitch without being challenged, and too easy to pass it into the box from the sides. In fact running down the wing and simply passing or low crossing to a striker is an almost unbeatable strategy in Pro Evo. That's when you actually manage to play it without the game freezing to a halt.

24. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i got t he 360 version of fifa its takeing me awhile to learn to play well on it im a pes fan boy but im hearing dreads bout the new pes2008 i guess il have to rent it when it comes out in march

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is not true, well at least on the PS2 WE's. People make custom Option files with all kits, leagues, and faces corrected. All i needed before was a max drive to take the file frmo my PC to my ps2.

But my take on FIFA, i just bought a PS3 and fifa. Played FIFA, its decent for what it is. But i popped in WE 2007 for old times sakes, and man the game is so much better..

Fifa's got a awsome soundtrack though!

Winning is more realistic IMO also, coming from a real player compared to all my friends who only play basketball and football they love fifa, because to them its easier for them to do good in it, as IMO it takes a real soccer brain to do good in winning.